Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there who has added a set of Oberon Bar End LED indicators? I like the idea of them and was thinking of keeping indicators in the stock location as well. I figure the duplication can only make me more visible. Just wondering about the ease of installation and general impressions of them.

Bar End Motorcycle LED Indicators

·
Registered
294 Posts
Those are pretty cool. I've never seen that before. Does look like a tricky install if you're drilling into the bar to run the wires.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
There is a kickstarter for another company doing the same thing. It's marketed towards bicycles but also works on moto.

Doesn't drilling into your bars reduce their strength - even if the holes are small?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bashar and beck have raised the two concerns I have. I have the skills (I suspect) to do the install, but I'm just not sure its a good idea to be drilling holes in the bars.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Here's just some food for thought.

I used to race downhill mountain bikes in college. A friend of mine had a cyclocomputer installed on his rig so he could check his lap times and speed but didn't want the wires showing on his bike (he was a perfectionist when it came to mods hah) - so he drilled into his handlebar to hide the wires.

Long story short - were at a race and the next thing I see is an ambulance. My buddy is in it and he's bleeding profusely from his collar bone area.

He was riding, handle bar snapped - he went down and the bar that remained attached to the stem, which was now sharp as a knife, went through him just below is collar bone like a hot knife through butter.

He was ok but after that I never thought about drilling my bars and actually replaced mine after every season given the beating that they would take during races.

This is an extreme case and not moto related but imo just something to think about.

·
Registered
659 Posts
There is a kickstarter for another company doing the same thing. It's marketed towards bicycles but also works on moto.

Doesn't drilling into your bars reduce their strength - even if the holes are small?
His kickstarter campaign was successful; full product website here: Bar-End Turn Signals | MuzaMoto

As for the hole drilling, I would be comfortable provided that the hole is drilled in a low stress section (For example: between the bar clamps).

I have toyed with the idea of this style of indicator for some time. They may make there way to an actual purchase if I decide to keep the Rizoma Radial Mirrors I just picked up.

·
Registered
290 Posts
For one, I couldn't stand having the signal flashing up by hands and in my face. My car has side mirror LED flashers and the corners can be seen from the drivers seat and hurts the eyes at night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts