Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any kind of OBDII cable i can plug in the bike to monitor the speed and the throttle position? This could simplify my projet, because i wont need to use some expensive sensors :)

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Calling Bobby Walnuts to the white room......maybe Marthy......how about Nick .......I'm sure that someone on here will know....it's just a matter of time before someone will give you an answer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sensor.jpg

So here is what i know, ive read the FZ-09 Service Manual:
1.The Throttle Position sensor goes from 1.20 to 2.80 kOhm
2.The Speed sensor goes from 0.6V to 4.8V to 0.6V to 4.8V and so on ...
The blue wire is the 5V and the blue/black wire is the ground

If there is no OBDII cable available for the FZ-09, my alternative would be to monitor the sensor directly...this is one one to do it but not the safest way...I must monitor the data while riding and i dont want to mess with the sensor values and kill my self :/

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
if you only need to monitor a few values, you can build a small breakout box and back pin the ECU with T pins to get your signals.

you can buy small breadboards at radio shack for doing just this....with a few rolls of wire you can make it and mount it almost anywhere on the bike...it might be more work than you like though..:)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have considered this option, but i think it will work only if my bike is stopped and the ECU harness unpluged... Or Maybe i dont understand how you can do it? dont worry, Im fairly good in electronics (not a professional) So i dont mind Doing complicited électronic stuff. I Just need some hints how to do it :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
There has to be a port under the seat, the dealer uses to re-flash the ECU. Clearly, if they don't pull the tank and ECU, they are accessing the data via a separate port/plug.

Might be cheaper to find a Yamaha dealer, and ask to see what they use to read/re-flash the ECU.

Is there a standard plug for motorcycles like there is on cars? I've used the ROSSTech software and plugs on my cars for years. (VAGCOM)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I have considered this option, but i think it will work only if my bike is stopped and the ECU harness unpluged... Or Maybe i dont understand how you can do it? dont worry, Im fairly good in electronics (not a professional) So i dont mind Doing complicited électronic stuff. I Just need some hints how to do it :)
you back probe the connector with some t-pins and hook your meter or wire to those....you just need to be sure they dont touch each other or anything else while the ignition is on and the bike is running ...you can push these right into the back of the connector carefully and not do any damage to the wire or connector
Amazon.com : Gem 1.5-Inch T-Pins, 100 per Box (GEM87T) : Tacks And Pushpins : Office Products

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Unless the new tool Yamaha dealers are just not receiving and using for the reflashing reads live data, the answer is "there is nothing plug and play". Historically, Yamaha ECU's have been pretty well locked up. Of course, you can definitely make your own.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The tool used by Yamaha is capable of data acquisition. (it is self powered)
-They set it with thieir computer as a recorder choosing which parameters they want to record
-they plug it on the diagnostic plug of the bike (they store it under the seat)
-and you can go for a trip.

When you're back they can have a look with the computer at all the parameters recorded during the trip.

I've seen it working on a bike which was having troubles with no explanations. (random engine stops)

So Chromex, ask your dealer to lend it to you.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
yamaha doesn't use obdii. but you can certainly tap into the speedo and throttle position sensor wiring to get data. in fact, installing a power commander involves splicing into the tps wire, so there's no reason you can't do it too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts