Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking in from Waddington NY, I take delivery this Friday of a 2015 Yellow FZ09. I'm trading in my 2006 Vstrom 650 that I bought new and logged 25,000 miles on.

First accessory is going to be the back rack, already on order actually, and a tail bag or trunk. After having soft saddle bags and a 37 liter trunk on the V it's going to be weird having 0 storage for a while.

I only got to take a 10 mile test ride on the FZ but that was enough to seal the deal. Power, handling, brakes, and oh that sound are so much nicer than the V.

It's a bit like a smoother road going version on my KTM 450, it's a visceral rush when you get into the mid range power on either machine.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Congratulations Bryan! You're going to love the FZ, just ask anybody here ;)
I got friends in Watertown but man you're way up there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, I really should use a different user name lol, it's actually my last name and first and middle initials.

Thanks by the way, yeah I'm wayyyy up north. I have friends that live in Amherst down your way. The last trip down on the V took 4 hours and 15 minutes with one stop for fuel.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Can you see Greenland on a clear day? Hahaha JK
If you ever in WNY again, send me a PM and we'll go for a quick ride.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I fly my quadcopter with a GoPro on it I can see clear into Canada across the St. Lawrence River....does that count?

Copy and paste from my ADVRIDER thread:

After 7 years and 25,000 miles I parted with the 06 WeeStrom today. Sounds kinda silly but it was actually a bit emotional after having it for so long. I've never owned any vehicle that long, nor had as many memories associated with it.

That was taken on the way to work this morning.

And these were taken on the way home.

I was the first to take a demo ride on it and started the paperwork immediately after. I was initially thinking of replacing the Wee with a 690 Duke but the closest dealership is 4 hours south. The FZ checked off every box of what I was looking for in the Duke:
-Lighter than the Wee
-Naked bike so no buffeting
-Sportier handling and performance
-Motor with more character

80 miles in so far and I love it. Riding to Lake Placid tomorrow so it should be a little over a 200 mile day round trip. I had the dealer install the factory rear rack while I was there. Now I'm looking for some luggage options to make it practical for commuting, but easily removed for sportier rides.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
You know man, when I sold my Suzuki GS500 I was sad, but then I closed my eyes and pictured my FZ09 and it put a smile on my face.
I'm glad you're liking your new bike.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome from a place a long, long way south of Waddington... Great choice and glad you could join the show!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Welcome to our site and our brotherhood. Great decision all the way around. Great color!

·
Registered
391 Posts
500 miles of smiles so far...... That's a bunch of gas stops for one weekend.
Congratulations on a great choice. Time for your first oil change. Nothing like a little quality time with your new baby :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts