Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, Im sure there is a silly stupid explanation for this but this bike gives me numb hands. Ie the blood is draining out of them. Ive never had this problem on Any other bike I've ever owned or rode. What can I do to fix this? Obviously I can just let my left hand hang but I can't take my right one of the throttle. Its annoying after about an hour of riding.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I used to get the same thing on my Ninja 1000.

One guy on the forum said something about carpel tunnel.

His physical therapist had him do some specific stretches that helped with the problem.

I do them now and they really do help.

Face a wall or door. With both arms out stretched at shoulder hight, place your palms flat against the wall. Then walk your hands down keeping palms flat on the surface. When things get tight, hold that position for 10 seconds or so. Repeat several times. Stretching the tendons should help with the numbness.

For me it made the problem go away. It was amazing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Hawk, I'll try it. As for you two jokers it's funny Willow but I don't have a death grip on it. Matter of fact I was just cruising around today in STD so I couldn't even do anything stupid. I use it as my don't attract attention button.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
2 things I can think of (maybe 3) -

1. Check your glove size, if they are too tight you may restricting your circulation

2. Try a heavier bar end

3. Not sure on this one but throwing it out there, change the grips for something a bit thicker/more padding

Assuming maybe the vibration through the handlebars is causing your numbness but I'm the farthest thing from an expert

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Alright, Im sure there is a silly stupid explanation for this but this bike gives me numb hands. Ie the blood is draining out of them. Ive never had this problem on Any other bike I've ever owned or rode. What can I do to fix this? Obviously I can just let my left hand hang but I can't take my right one of the throttle. Its annoying after about an hour of riding.

Do you...

1. Have pins and needles tingling sensation when youve stopped riding.

2. Are anemic or have ever had anemia

3. age, height, weight. Im not trying to date you, im trying to medically narrow down options.

My suspicion is that poor perfusion in the extremities is exacerbating the irritation from the metacarpals pressing against your tendons. Anemia/other blood related issues can exacerbate that poor perfusion and lead to the nerve endings being susceptible to the vibrations and not recovering as quickly as they would normally, thus resulting in the numbness. Does your other hand go numb if you dont let it hang?

·
Registered
616 Posts
A wrist rest or cramp buster on the throttle allows you to lessen the grip on the throttle. A throttle lock is helpful too to allow you to totally remove your right hand and give it a break. I've got a thottlemeister on my other bike. It's great, but it limits mirror choices (can't use bar ends), and they're like $140.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Years ago while racing motocross I started to get Carpal Tunnel and had to make a few changes. First up, grips, next I changed bar angles until I found a better spot, and I made sure that I was gripping the bars like I was shaking hands not straight back and down bringing my elbows up and out a bit. I do it on streetbikes too. Lastly, I would stretch my hands back with my fingers in the opposite palm pushing back and holding for ten seconds, about ten reps each side.

Lately, my tennis elbow reared its ugly head after being gone for a very long time. I have been wearing an elbow brace to speed the recovery. This came about as the result of me yanking on the bars to get some third gear wheelies. I need to calm down a bit because I am no longer trying to power up an inline 4 liter bike.

Gel Grips:
Pro Grip 699 Sportbike Gel Grip - Motorcycle Superstore

·
Registered
128 Posts

Your signature lists other sport bikes but you never know .. could be a pinched nerve or neck vertebrae issue. My first bike was a Ninja and around that time I was riding mountain bikes. A few minutes on either with my neck tilted back and my right hand had pins and needles. Ended up being herniated discs and I've had C5/C6/C7 fused since - no more issues of that nature.

Anyway, something to consider along with everything else such as carpal wrist, ulnar elbow, your jacket or gloves pinching ... or the handle is just vibrating. In any event it's annoying till you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Seeing an R6 and YZ's on your list I'll assume it's not too tight of a grip or even engine vibration getting you. If you have your fork preload and dampening dialed way up - then you might try backing them off. If your hands are cold - then you might try heated gloves or hand guards. I don't believe the FZ is buzzier than either of those bikes, and you don't have as much wight on your hands as on the R6. I guess you could be gripping tighter since you don't have as much weight on the bars.

·
Registered
96 Posts
A wrist rest or cramp buster on the throttle allows you to lessen the grip on the throttle. A throttle lock is helpful too to allow you to totally remove your right hand and give it a break. I've got a thottlemeister on my other bike. It's great, but it limits mirror choices (can't use bar ends), and they're like $140.
I have throttlemeisters on my FZ-09 they are awesome.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually do have problems with my lower back. I'll ask my chiropractor if it could be causing this. As for the cold, I did wonder about that. I'll try setting the suspension down. It's honestly just set at what the factory had it as. I haven't had a problem honestly but I'm really just riding around. Weather hasn't permitted Mr to take the bike anywhere super fun yet. I'll try all of these. Did the gel grips really help that much?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Lower back trouble wouldn't be causing numb hands IMO, but a pinched nerve in you neck, shoulders, etc could be it.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Are you wearing new/different gloves? Try motocross gloves (textile), and yes the gel grips helped me out a ton. I have tennis elbow and both of my wrists are shot from motocross. I cannot wear heavy leather gloves at all.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Make sure the handlebar is at the correct angle. You can try different angles forward and back to see if it helps.

Also make sure the brake and clutch levers are rotated around the handlebar properly and your hand position is correct so your wrist is not bent too much as that can pinch nerves and blood vessels in your wrist.

If you changed your levers and they are vibrating, as some of the cheap ones do and some stock ones do, that can cause excess vibration in your hands.

Just a few things to try.

A wrist brace/support can also help.

If it is not a problem on your other bikes, look at the ergonomic differences between the bikes and see if you need to adjust your riding posture or position.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ditto on the fit of your gloves... it they are too tight they can pinch when you grip the bars, reducing circulation and causing numbness. They may feel good when you put them on, but the real test is when you curl them around the bars. They should feel a little loose when you put them on, and neutral when holding the grips. HTH :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
This is usually caused by putting too much weight on your hands/grips.... try using your abs and back muscles to support your upper body.

Reactions: dcpppf
1 - 20 of 55 Posts