Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2016 FJ-09

It will need tires soon, still shod with the OEM Dunlop D222F... not a fan..

In the past I've liked Pilot Road 4, ME888, loved Avon Storm XM.

I'm not as much of a hooligan as I used to be, and am looking for good handling and long life.

I ride like what I am ... an old guy .... most of the time but then when the proper road comes along....

What's your favorite long-life rubber for this bike??

·
Registered
794 Posts
I went with the angel gt 2 based on great reviews and the miles/opininion that MK3Brent got out of his. I have a little over 5,000 kilometres on them and I am very pleased with grip!

MK3Brent said:

I had to do a double take at my odometer because I didn’t realize how many miles I put on the GT2’s. I’m at the wear bars and this is 10,554 miles. Excellent tires. View attachment 169990

·
Registered
646 Posts
Michelin Road 6 or Metzeler Roadtec 01SE.

Reactions: GreatHolio

·
Registered
783 Posts
My second set of tires were Michelin Road 5. GREAT TIRES! Got about 15k + miles out of them. I had to go cheaper and last weekend I put on Dunlop Roadsmart 3. Too soon to say anything about them... but so far so good. I need a rainy day.

·
Administrator
3,019 Posts
In the past I've liked Pilot Road 4
Great tire at the time. That's what I used to ride with on my ZRX before I sold it.
Never tried the later revisions.
As 1216bandit quoted me, the Pirelli Angel GT2's have never let me down on the street. Very good mileage and grip throughout the life of the tire and is perfect for the sport touring I do with them.
The center compound of this tire is harder than the sides which will help with squaring off from highway commuting. They do eventually square off, but still have never given me an issue.
I've also ridden with these tires on novice track days and they survived. (Greasy when overheated, but so are most tires when outside their temp spec.)
Best tire $/mi I've used yet. After this set, I'll probably trying the Road 5's to compare.

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
I pretty much stick to Michelin on our cars and bike, I haven't found a better combination of performance and life. The Road 5's were a revelation. The best sport touring tyres I've used.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts