Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
So I went down today for the first time.
Want to post here, as it's still fresh in my head... and I want to learn as much as possible from this.

First, I think it was my fault.
Second, it was "slow speed"... estimated 30 or under. Didn't really look at the speedo.

How it happened
What I could have done different
Lessons learned

How it happened:
I was going home after work.
Three lane red-light... I filtered up to the front.
The opposite three lanes plus their "left turn only" were green and moving.
The opposite "left turn only" turns red... our light turns green.
I looked both ways to make sure no morons were expressing themselves... three or four cars ran the opposite "left turn only"'s yellow/red light.
No probs... yield to tonnage.
I take off my green light very easy... when they're done... I accelerate out of there.

I was in the left most lane, of three lanes.
I just didn't pay enough attention... and a lady in a Camry ran her red light on our right side.
She accelerated, so she could "get into our flow" before the waves of our cars crossed the intersection and cut off her chances.
Instead of staying on what is now her right most lane (furthest away from me), or the middle one, she crossed those lanes all the way up to "my" lane.

Where I ****ed up...
I saw this lady when her car was two-three feet away from me.
I should have braked.
What I did was revv my engine with the clutch disengaged (free revving).
Well, she finished her merge into this left most lane.

On recollection, I think I could still have braked, and she would have swooped in front of me.
Yet I, probably because of my inexperience, just went further left.
My tires were met with the 4-5 inch tall concrete bump that creates the divider between the three coming, and the three going lanes.

I just went down.

I remember it wasn't a "HOLY SHIT WHAT THE ****".
But it was a "**** **** ****."

===

Damage to the bike:
All the damage is on the left side... nothing anywhere else.
Going from top to bottom:::
The mirror housing is a little bit scratched... nothing nasty.
The front left blinker is a little bit scratched... nothing nasty.
The frame itself has a small, yet serious scratch in it (the pointy corner that is most outward).
The radiator's left tank is a little bit bent inwards.
The clutch cover is scratched up from the bottom towards the mid-section.
The shift-lever is bent inwards/upwards/outward. Kind of neo-artsy thing.
Kick-stands "catch peg" a little bit scratched.
That's it!

Everything works... no leaks... no mechanical churning noises.

Damage to myself:
Nothing.
I am a ATGATT guy, as I haven't been riding 7 months (maybe 6?).
My full-face helmet is scratched in the lower left chin.
Not huge scratch... yet heavy.
If I didn't have a full-face I would be bleeding and with sewing on my chin.
Riding jacket (Yamaha one, with thick leather) took my left arm's scratch/slide.
Riding pants are RHOK with kevlar-thingy material.
They have armor (armour?) knee pads and thigh pads.
Nothing happen to the pants, although I did feel a scratch on my lower left leg.
I was riding with steel toe "warehouse work" boots... nothing happen to them or my feet.
I was wearing gloves... nothing to my hands.

What I could have done different
I could have braked and let her swoop into the lane.
I could have paid more attention and realized she was doing a moronic thing.

Lessons learned
For myself, I will stay for now ATGATT.
I recently read in /r/motorcycles a very convincing comment as to ATGATT.
I never tell anybody anymore to wear all their gear all the time, or use a full-face helmet, because of this:
The logic of telling somebody that, is the exact same logic non-riders use for telling us "How the hell can you ride a bike?! That's way too dangerous."
So, to my brethren riders... don what you want over your body.
I, myself, will keep it ATGATT when applicable.
(I don't apply it when I am slow-speed cruising my security-gated neighbourhood on a Sunday afternoon).

More interesting stuff:
As I have read before, Leave yourself an out.
I did not leave myself an out.
Will try to apply it now better.

Another I read:
Believe that everybody is out to get you.
This one is a balancing act... because if I really lived out this scenario, I would be running all the red lights and riding on the sidewalks.
But, yet... everybody is out to get you.

And another one:
You are invisible. They haven't seen you, and they won't see you.

Anyway, that's it for now...
Happy I came out as good as I did.
Ego is not bruised.
**** this... I love riding.
Will keep on riding.
=)

Happy the monetary amount for fixing the bike won't be that much.

scratch2.jpg scratch3.jpg scratch4.jpg scratch5.jpg

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Welcome to the crash group! Glad you and the bike are okay! She's a surprisingly tough bike!

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
That frame damage, may very well total your bike out. Glad you are ok. Get frame sliders next time.

Even a scratched frame, after a crash, can total a bike. The cost to replace a frame, often precludes a repair. A scratched frame, is a frame which no one will certify as OK.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Wow it doesnt look too bad considering! Did the person in the car stop? Sounds like you got cutoff big time. Anyway, glad you are ok. Bike and parts are replaceable.

Daniel

·
Registered
225 Posts
Glad you are not hurt!
Great attitude, Ride ON!

Did the Bitch stop? It sounds like speed up would be my 1st option, slow down second. People do not see us, always KNOW that!

·
Registered
666 Posts
ah man that sucks. I'll remind myself not to blast into intersections at that "in between" time. Cars blasting thru vs bike blasting thru....
yeah. I'll use your crash as a learning tool.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Glad you are ok....and you covered all the reasons...but why in God's name do young people rev the shit out the engine to use it as a horn? That makes no sense to me at all. It's less energy to move your thumb a half inch and blow the horn. The dumb bitch would have heard the horn blowing....maybe. Anyway....I'm not ragging on you....glad you're not hurt.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
That sux, I'm glad you are ok, and thanks for reporting.

Are you turning it to your insurance company? Reported to the cops? What did the cops say? As has been said, it's shocking how little it takes for a bike to be declared totaled.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Glad you are OK! that is the important thing. By the way that is the stator cover I believe, not clutch.
What were the conditions out ? (full sun, time of day?) and what color is your gear? I'm curious if you have any hi-viz.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I take off my green light very easy... when they're done... I accelerate out of there.

I was in the left most lane, of three lanes.
I just didn't pay enough attention... and a lady in a Camry ran her red light on our right side.
She accelerated, so she could "get into our flow" before the waves of our cars crossed the intersection and cut off her chances.
Instead of staying on what is now her right most lane (furthest away from me), or the middle one, she crossed those lanes all the way up to "my" lane.

First, glad you're ok.

You asked for feedback but that is subjective and hard to do not being there first hand. That being said ..

- Maybe you were focused on the left side and oncoming traffic and weren't watching the right side? Not sure but a possibility.

- When watching to determine if a vehicle is going to move or start moving, it is quicker to glance at the wheels (and watch for turning) rather than just glace at the mass of the vehicle. (it registers more quickly for me at least)

- You could go "more aggressive" or "more conservative" on how you pull out. Shoot out of there fast enough and you might get past a merging car if you're quicker, but you did mention she ran the light so she already had speed going. On the conservative side, as fun as it is to accelerate faster than the cars aside of you, a middle lane selection and letting the cars to your right and left go first would be using them as a buffer for cars running red lights from the side. Being in the center lane though, you don't have as much of an out as being in an outer lane. There are simply always trade offs. Depends on the intersection and weighing your options.

- Don't beat yourself up for not hitting the brakes. Things turned out ok and you never know but the car behind you could have made a hood ornament out of you or ran you over.

Hope those help as food for thought

·
Registered
65 Posts
Glad you're okay man! You may think you messed up with your reaction, but from what I read, the driver turned right and merged over to the left lane immediately. That right there is illegal. She should be at fault. Let us know the details after the crash!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
So did that driver stop?...she caused a damn accident and was totally at fault! Yeah, you could have reacted better, but she ran you off the damn road. Sorry this happened...what a bummer. Damage could have been worse

·
Registered
89 Posts
Glad your okay bud, sorry to hear that.

Some drivers are just so damn clueless. If you're not paying attention at all times you'll be paying something. But that's one of the things I love about riding. It puts me into a zen state of mind where everything just clicks, I love it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Too bad about the crash... there are so many drivers that just don't see bikes. There's an old saying: If you expect somebody to do something stupid, you'll never be disappointed! Not to say you shouldn't trust other drivers, but vigilance is key... glad you're ok. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
It would be wise to also note the following:

DO NOT: rely on the horn or any audible noise to alert another driver. The amount of hearing impaired, loud music/radio listening teens, over-medicated seniors, and those under medications that impair hearing ability and response. The horn or engine can also startle the driver, and cause them to swerve directly into your path, or worse, you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Glad ya made it out of this okay bud! Thanks for the write up also im a pretty inexperienced rider and the feedback might save my ass one day so thanks again

·
Registered
730 Posts
Almost became grill ornament Weds.... only my awareness prevented it. Never stop looking for the clueless! They'll find you otherwise...

·
Registered
616 Posts
I used to live in Jacksonville, NC, which is the headquarters for 2nd Marine Division. This roughly translated into a super high testosterone charged place to ride. From stop light to stop light was a drag race. I had close calls in the frequency of about once a week. To many, I believe that we are truly invisible. To others, we're smaller, inferior and should give our right of way to them. It sucks, but it's part of the ride.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Happy to hear you are okay!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts