Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded my 2017 FJ 09 for a 2019 MT10 in November. UPS and Amazon came today with a pair of frame sliders and a Custom LED Blaster X integrated tail light and I ran out and installed them right after work. I'm done. I told my GF that I have nothing left to do on this bike. Of course she doesn't believe that but in fact, I can't think of a single thing that I want or need to do. This really sucks because I love working on bikes but the flip side, I have exactly the motorcycle I want. It now handles like a dream and has more motor than any reasonable person needs. So let's review. It came with quick shifter, cruise control and electronic steering stabilizer standard.
K-Tech rear shock
K-Tech front springs
Replaced spring on K-Tech rear shock
A 2nd set of front springs.
Puig sport touring windscreen
Yamaha heated grips
spools
Flash by VCyclenut
Delkovic Exhaust
Rear Grab Bar
Servo Buddy
TST rear turn signals
Integrated Tail light
Frame Sliders

And then 2 helmets to match new bike color. ( I didn't really like the 1st so I bought a 2nd)

·
Registered
468 Posts
How much weight did you save by removing OEM exhaust and flapper valve crappola?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't see a reason to do rearsets or bars. If they aren't working for you for some reason then I'd suggest replacing them. I'm satisfied. The 2019 MT10 comes with an electronic steering damper which works well. I've had it up to 145 and not a hint of shake or instability. My FJ 09 got pretty shakey above 125 but I didn't go that fast too often. On this bike I do 120 regularly by accident.

It's funny because I'm in the middle of a flame war on the Ducati Scrambler forum with some ******* that claims that all of the Euro bikes have surpassed the Japanese bikes in quality. I said that if reliability isn't an issue at a 20 -30% higher price then he's right. I traded a Scrambler on a Yamaha because I got fed up with stuff failing. The reason I bring this up is because I think Yamaha gets it right on almost everything. I don't know of another bike that gives you more bang for your buck then an MT09 at $8999. Suspension is a weak link but you can upgrade when and if you want to.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
295 Posts
How do you like 10 compared to the 09? Im considering it for my next bike in a year or two.
I rode one during demo rides and it is quite different! If I wasnt shallow I would have bought instead of my 09 but I think the 10 looks like Wall-E. If I dont want to look back at what I own then I dont buy it and too me the 10 lost its visual meanness that the 09 has but makes up for it with its beast of inner beauty. Lol. Certainly night and day though! If you're into ugly chicks I'd say go for it! I'm holding out in Hope's that she gets some plastic surgery in the near future.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
You might not like the look, but the aerodynamics of the front end are above and beyond most others. I never bought a replacement screen for my -10, because I didn’t feel the need up to 100 mph. That 1 1/2” lip works. And I’m not even into ugly chicks.

Sounds like one sweet bike for you Chester. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
295 Posts
You might not like the look, but the aerodynamics of the front end are above and beyond most others. I never bought a replacement screen for my -10, because I didn’t feel the need up to 100 mph. That 1 1/2” lip works. And I’m not even into ugly chicks.

Sounds like one sweet bike for you Chester. Enjoy!
I loved riding it and if I didnt have kids I would probably never have made the connection like I did but I cant get past it now that I have! I will own one one day even if it's more bike than I can use in the way I ride. I'm still relearning the sportier bike complaints like noise and wind deflection. Last 10 years have been spent hitting 3 digit speeds as a human parachute attached to a harley. Mini apes, forward controls, and straight pipes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was wandering if I would like a 10 myself , I love my 09
I have a blast on it .

I think I have cought up to its capabilities for the most part as is now , without doing suspension, mapping.

I have not an issue getting by pretty much any bike I come across in the twisties so far even with the brakes it has.

So is there a trade off I guess is what I'm asking. Can you have both with the 10,nimble in the twisties like the 09 and also with the extra weight an smoothness at freeway speeds.

They are both pretty ugly bikes that grow on you.

My 09 is beautiful to me now.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
How do you like 10 compared to the 09? Im considering it for my next bike in a year or two.
Let me qualify first. I had a 2016 XSR900 and then a 2017 FJ09 and also rented a 2017 FZ09 out in California for what was the ride of my life. The Yamaha triples are all extraordinary bikes and I love them all. Great motor and handling.
That being said, the MT10 is a different beast. It comes with some cool accesories that I wouldn't have bought but now can't live without. Cruise control, quick shifter and electronic steering damper. This bike is sick fast. There simply aren't many faster vehicles except for full fairing liter bikes. I've yet to find anything that out accelerates this. In fact, i watched a video in which they were drag racing mt10 and comparable BMW and KTM naked bikes against Mclarens and Porsches and beating them. The wheelbase is a couple of inches shorter than the 09s and the handling is better which is saying a lot because the 09s are great handling bikes. If I had kept my 09, I wouldn't have been unhappy or dissatisfied. Last August I was out for a ride when I saw a Mustang punch it and I tried to catch it and it pulled away. I don't know what they did to that car because I couldn't get close but it was fast. I'd bet that it wouldn't pull me on this bike. Is it worth $4000 more than an 09, for me it is.

Out of the last 4 bikes I've also had a Ducati Scrambler Classic. Surprisingly the MT10 with tomato red wheels is the one that gets the most compliments by a long shot. I would have never guessed that.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I was going to say the same about handling. The wheelbase is the identical to the -07 making it shorter and more maneuverable than the -09. And though the -10 is heavier, I never felt like there was much difference in weight, which pleasantly surprised me. Not putting down the -09, but the -10 build quality is clearly better. One would expect this given the price difference and it does deliver. This also seems to show up in a stiffer chassis as well. Because it’s a crossplane vs conventional 4, the sound and low vibes are positives. The only bike that sounds better to me is a Tuono V4. The one tradeoff going to the -10 is fuel consumption. It’s all about horsepower. 150 hp drinks more gas. I got just under 35 mpg on mine. Comparing, with the -09 getting around 45 mpg and the -07 around 55 mpg. This is pretty much reinforced with any brand or model. My BMW is 70 hp and gets 55 mpg, same as an MT-07.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was going to say the same about handling. The wheelbase is the identical to the -07 making it shorter and more maneuverable than the -09. And though the -10 is heavier, I never felt like there was much difference in weight, which pleasantly surprised me. Not putting down the -09, but the -10 build quality is clearly better. One would expect this given the price difference and it does deliver. This also seems to show up in a stiffer chassis as well. Because it’s a crossplane vs conventional 4, the sound and low vibes are positives. The only bike that sounds better to me is a Tuono V4. The one tradeoff going to the -10 is fuel consumption. It’s all about horsepower. 150 hp drinks more gas. I got just under 35 mpg on mine. Comparing, with the -09 getting around 45 mpg and the -07 around 55 mpg. This is pretty much reinforced with any brand or model. My BMW is 70 hp and gets 55 mpg, same as an MT-07.
Although it's heavier, I've lightened mine by 20 pounds. This motor is actually a crossplane 4 cylinder and the horsepower is 160. The gas milage is absolutely terrible but I can deal with that. My GF's Mazda 3 gets better gas milage. You are right, the chassis is stiffer as was confirmed by Lenny at K-Tech. As a result, the suspension is a lot harder to set up. On the flip side he said the 3 cylinder bikes are very forgiving when you do the suspension and a lot easier to get right and that's exactly my experience. Aftermarket rear shock was $800 for the 09 and $1200 for the 10. Fork cartridges are about $900 for the 09 and $1200 for the 10. The front forks on the 10 are pretty good and I got way with just springs and screwing around with oil. I had to do front cartridges on my 09, the stock forks suck.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I hate you guys! Found a leftover MT-10 in the blue at a dealer not too far away. Now I'm getting the jones.

Ride Sane
The -09 is a great bike, but a test ride on a -10 will put a new smile on your face. At least it did for me. Harry Balzak didn’t like his, so there are differences of opinions.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Gee.. My F3-S only gets in low/mid 30's :( :)

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Hey Jeff, long time! Ever plan on traveling out West Bend way? Let me know if you do.

What’s the hp and weight on your F3-S?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts