Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my deposit down on a RED one. Estimating 2-3 weeks before in store. Location of dealer is Chico CA. but I actually live in Oroville 25 miles south East. About 90 miles north of Sacramento. We have the nice canyon ride to Quincy or the Hiway 162 ride from Oroville to Bucks Lake (very twisty).

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Nice job Bill! Oh, and if you happen to notice that the Red bike is pulling away just slightly from the Graphite and Orange ones, you'll be glad that you bought the fastest color..........Rapid Red!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice job Bill! Oh, and if you happen to notice that the Red bike is pulling away just slightly from the Graphite and Orange ones, you'll be glad that you bought the fastest color..........Rapid Red!

Triplethreat, are sure about the spelling, A bike this intimidating, the color name might be better if it were " Rabid Red !".... for me this bike will be Crazy fast, maybe like my old H1 500 Triple I bought new in 72
. 1972 H1 B.jpg

It will be interesting when these will actually hit the dealers. I am amazed Yamaha has not had a release date. My deposit is non-refundable unless it does not come in by Oct 31,st Then I can get it back which only buys me time to save more money for it. I may finance about 4k and the payment will be so low it hardly counts. I have a new CTX700N I got in June that I ride daily now. It is ugly but fun around town and light freeway use. I do like the 70mpg I am getting.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
That's funny........I had an H1 also. I decided that it just wasn't fast enough for me so I sold it and bought an H2. Man, those were the days

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's funny........I had an H1 also. I decided that it just wasn't fast enough for me so I sold it and bought an H2. Man, those were the days

They called it the "Widow Maker" I remember. You survived ! looking at your signature, you get to go fast (and have "FUN") more than most of us and in a safer place than the street.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
They called it the "Widow Maker" I remember. You survived ! looking at your signature, you get to go fast (and have "FUN") more than most of us and in a safer place than the street.
Yes, I did survive those days and sometimes I honestly don't know how I did! The Widow Maker........I do remember that being said about that bike.

These days, doing the track day Instruction role, I've got to say that I've not ever had more fun riding motorcycles than I am having now. And the best part of it........my wife Peggy is also an Instructor in the Southern Region with me. We are both going to have a birthday in Nov and I'm going to turn 59 and she is going to be........let's say, in her early 60's. She is, without a doubt, my hero and I am one lucky man to have found her!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was an RD350 400 guy myself.
I almost bought a RZ350 but my legs were too short.
I did resurrect this one from a mud tomb on a farm. It ran pretty good till it seized on a long downhill (rider error starving it for oil). They are fun little bikes. The tail section I got off ebay that came off a Salt Flats record holder bike. I got 900.00 for it with a piston knocking.

rd400s.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I use to drag race the H2 every Wed. night and every Saturday night.....two different drag strips. I honestly cannot remember the 1/8 mile times but the 1/4 mile strip I was running in the high 11's @ 113 MPH. Back then, it was pretty quick for a stock bike and I can remember it pulling the front wheel off the ground at 95 MPH in third gear. By today's standards, it would be considered pretty slow. My 600RR is suppose to run in the mid to low 10's and in the 120+ MPH range.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use to drag race the H2 every Wed. night and every Saturday night.....two different drag strips. I honestly cannot remember the 1/8 mile times but the 1/4 mile strip I was running in the high 11's @ 113 MPH. Back then, it was pretty quick for a stock bike and I can remember it pulling the front wheel off the ground at 95 MPH in third gear. By today's standards, it would be considered pretty slow. My 600RR is suppose to run in the mid to low 10's and in the 120+ MPH range.
great story. That was very fast for the time. Wheelies sure get your blood flowing at 95mph I bet. I never drag raced a bike but I drove my dad's 68 mustang with a 427 tunnel port engine (I loved that motor with a redline 7.5k )with 4 speed to 11.33 / 132mph once. That was a rush. Well you have a great place to get seat time on your 600RR. Just amazing what that motor revs to.

I wonder if the young riders of today will look back on what they rode. I imagine they will. I just don't know what bikes will be like 40 years from now. . Probably all electric. We surely seen some changes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
hi everybody, i just purchased a red fz09 last week. i live in arcata. looking forward to meeting fellow fz09 owners. i have yet to break in the tires or motor. yet the the potential of this bike is incredible. feeling pretty privileged to own this bike right now.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi everybody, i just purchased a red fz09 last week. i live in arcata. looking forward to meeting fellow fz09 owners. i have yet to break in the tires or motor. yet the the potential of this bike is incredible. feeling pretty privileged to own this bike right now.
Hi Fz0976, I got mine yesterday. 215 miles now on it. Too far away to get together I think but who know. The bike is fun, then turns crazy above 7k even in B mode.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Just saw this regional thread! Pretty cool to have this. Bill my first street bike was a kawi triple but mine was the more same kh400. It was super fast and super fun till the middle piston seized up! Nice to be back on a triple! Oh by the way I'm located in
Crockett Ca.

Daniel

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just saw this regional thread! Pretty cool to have this. Bill my first street bike was a kawi triple but mine was the more same kh400. It was super fast and super fun till the middle piston seized up! Nice to be back on a triple! Oh by the way I'm located in
Crockett Ca.

Daniel
Hi Daniel, I remember those. My H1 seized the right piston at 9000 miles. I took it apart and the gasket under the cylinder did not have the oil path hole removed in the gasket. The dealer bought all the new parts and I got it back running well. At the time it was a fun bike in a straight line. I looked up Crockett. I pass through there on the way to San Jose a few times a year visiting my son and his family. Crockett would be about 2 hours from here. We have some great summer roads if you like twisties from Oroville to Quicy by Bucks Lake or river canyon ride up hiway 70 to Quincy. I did take my HI on the sunday morning ride fest from Mill valley to pt reyes station once back in the 70's. was fun. Some crazy fast machines/riders back then too. A guy had an H2 and passed me at 75mph on his rear wheel then he rode at Sears point that afternoon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts