Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Not the bike for me...

26K views 130 replies 58 participants last post by  Obijack 
#1 · (Edited)
I was completely stoked when I first saw the FZ back in December. Loved it even more when I checked it out at the dealer too. Now with 2 weeks on it I just like this machine. I think Yamaha could've and should've built a better product to begin with. I feel like I'm on top of the bike, the seat is hard and the power curve is badly matched to the lackluster suspension. The fuel delivery is too brutal in both accel and decel. I put the bike away today and don't intend to take it out again until I trade it in or sell it off. Its an incomplete technological beast and I won't miss it. If anyone is interested in her I'll be selling it for what I owe and it comes with a 5 year extended factory warranty, a $720 value. I haven't yet burned a full tank of fuel, but I'll post the exact mileage when I list it officially. The best thing about this bike are the brakes and watching it ride away with someone else.

#2 ·
Sorry to hear it didnt work out for you - just curious on your current experience level - it's definitely not for everyone but that's ok because there are a ton of bikes out there that may be better for you.

If you're scared by the power (and again not sure what you've come from) you may want to consider an inline 4 650cc or so. These don't have as much low end torque as a vtwin and lack the pep of the FZ but are still a blast to ride (A LA FZ6 or similar). If you like the torqueyness of the FZ but just wish it had less power - perhaps consider a 650cc twin like a SV650.

If you're completely new to riding - maybe consider starting with a 300 or 250cc - either way - there should be no shame in the call that you made - the bikes not for everyone and you are wise to stop riding it instead of being stubborn and potentially hurting yourself or others.

best of luck to you.

This post has been deleted
#3 ·
To each their own - good luck with the sale. Personally after riding my geared RSV4 for a few years the FZ feels like a slug, as Beck stated it all comes down to your experience level with riding in general. My first streetbike was a 1990 Ninja 600 at age 18, had years of dirt experience before that and never felt it was too much bike at any point. It boils down to respect for any motorcycle you are riding and control of your right wrist!

#18 ·
Personally after riding my geared RSV4 for a few years the FZ feels like a slug,
This made me laugh...you crazy!

To Chip...I honestly don't think <1 tank of gas is enough to thoroughly evaluate the bike. Yes, I'm a FZ-09 fan-boy, but I can be objective...I think yous should really give it some more saddle time. You've had crappy weather so far in Vermont (right, Vermont?) and haven't even been able to ride it nice warm weather yet. Like others have said, try practicing a bit with throttle and brake control...it does take quite a bit of time to get good at riding this bike (it did for me at least). And definitely quarantine yourself to B mode for a while. Your ass and seat will start to get used to eachother, I found the stock seat got way more comfortable when I started wearing proper riding pants that has some ass cushion in them.
It still may be not the right bike for yo, but it doesn't sound like you gave it a fair try...

#4 ·
I was completely stoked when I first saw the FZ back in December. Loved it even more when I checked it out at the dealer too. Now with 2 weeks on it I just don't click with this machine. I don't blame Yamaha or the dealer or any of the enthusiastic forum posters or owners, I just am not gaining confidence or comfort aboard this rocket ship. I feel like I'm on top of the bike, the seat is hard and the power frankly scares the hell out of me. The brakes are so powerful I stop short at every intersection and I don't ride aggressively enough that I need all this bike has to offer. I put the bike away today and don't intend to take it out again until I trade it in or sell it off. Its an amazing technological beast and I won't miss it. I'm sorry but she's not for me. If anyone is interested in her I'll be selling it for what I owe and it comes with a 5 year extended factory warranty, a $720 value. I haven't yet burned a full tank of fuel, but I'll post the exact mileage when I list it officially.

Chip Fortson
cfortson55@icloud.com
Chip....sorry about the bike...but you need to know that you won't get anywhere near what you owe on it if it's financed and there was ZERO or very little down payment. You'd be better off to keep it for a year and then sell it.

#7 · (Edited)
CD599: If he isn't riding it at all it's better to keep it a year?
Yes...if he tries to sell it now he's 2k upside down on the loan. {I'm guessing low or no down payment}. The bike is likely worth $7500 to a buyer...and he must owe $9500 now with the extended warranty...finance charges...taxes...etc.
So instead of having to come up with the 2k to pay off the loan....he could make 12 payments and next year when he sold it would have to come up with much less in cash to pay it off. In other words...he'll never get {what he owes}$9500 for if he tries to sell it now. Not when low mileage FZ-09's are available for $7500.

Even worse scenario is if he trades it in and the next finance company assumes the entire first loan and the second loan difference. He'll be paying on that loan for 6 years.

I'm just guessing...but I've seen this before. People think they can sell the bike for the loan value and it never comes close to working out.

Reactions: RichBaker
#6 ·
OP give it some time. Take some lessons, some motorcycle classes, buy a few books. Have someone teach you how to ride. And I promise you will enjoy the FZ-09. It is like shooting, you can't just pick up a rifle and be a sharpshooter. And you cannot just teach yourself. Reach out for help, so other can help you enjoy your new bike. You will feel more confident in your riding skills, and you will not hate yourself for throwing a few grand away to ride a FZ-09 for less than 100 miles.

Reactions: fz9-tx-guy
#122 ·
Couldn't agree more. As far as the power goes there are a few modes to choose from other then "Balls to the wall" A mode. Standard is great, and if you want your bike to run like a 600 or lower B is great. The breaks are touchy but they get better after you put a few miles on them. Just give it some time and put a few tanks through it. If that doesn't work the CBR500F is a great looking bike that keeps the "streetfighter" style going. Good luck brother and drive safe.

#8 ·
There are a lot of assumptions being made here. We should wait to hear from Chip. I've never financed anything in my life outside of a house. Maybe he just bought it? Who knows?

I'm curious what part of the country the bike is in? Put that baby on Craig's list and see what happens. The dealer may also give you some consideration if you want to trade down for a tamer ride.

#9 ·
The brakes are so powerful I stop short at every intersection
this strikes me as an odd comment.

if you're stopping short, then simply be gentler on the brake lever. if you slam the brake lever the way you do on your harley, then of course you'll stop short. adjust your braking technique.

better to have all that braking power at your disposal and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

#11 ·
I agree. The brakes on the 9 are average in my opinion. Much better with braided lines and pads, but still. Although I can't say I've ever wanted for less brakes, more feel maybe, but definitely not less power.

#10 ·
Chip... now worries, it's a lot to take in and we all at one point where on those cross roads as well.
Relax, vent talk but give it at rest.... then I would say find a great cycle school, like the one we have here in Minnesota named ZARS. I already signed up with them, and I'm looking forward to learn and hone my skills from former professional racers particular on a new bullish ride like the 9er :evil6:. If you like I or other members can find a great school around your city -let us know cheers.

#12 ·
The throttle response at time kinda gets me as well. I love to pop wheelies in this thing, but today I was going about 10-15 and just had one hand on throttle and bap! Popped a wheelie and kinda scared me a little. It's really my fault for Only having one hand on it and in std.

Sorry it's not for you buddy. Now you have somethin you don't want :(

#13 ·
Maybe I've ridden/driven too many crazy things or am just too big, but this bike has not as of yet even come close to getting away from me or even unruly.. now saying that, it IS new and I'm not doing anything crazy AND the roads are still full of sandy, gritty crud. But I do admire you and understand that when you have reached YOUR limits, its time for a real decision. Never let anyone convince you to ride something you cannot get comfortable on. That is very wise. :icon_salut:

Reactions: Jen
#14 ·
Well the 883 is the opposite end of the spectrum from the 9. But that Duke is too.
And if you were looking at the Duke, you can afford an R1200R. If you can find a dealler with one, go check it out. It is the same weight as your sporty, but with smooth refined torque and power.

#16 ·
Dang Chip, sorry to hear it. Not sure what size you are or how many miles you have on it, but I love mine.
I was nervous at first too. Getting the suspension sorted and the ecu flash done, mine is more tame and predictable.
It is still a beast on demand, but imo controllable.
Best of luck with whatever you decide to do, but there are some budget options for the suspension, and the flash is cheaper than the loss you will take selling it.

#17 ·
Keep it in B mode and nobody is saying you need to go fast. The bike won't feel like a rocket unless you turn your wrist. I feel like we have two different bikes. My goal in life is not to have a super powerful bike, but one that I'm comfortable on, something that handles well, is light, is smooth, and doesn't cause fear and this bike is it. Did you have some other bike before this that you really rode hard and are trying to ride this one the same way giving it the same amount of throttle and grabbing the brakes the same way? If you are easy on this bike, it's fine.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do. You'll find someone in two seconds who will buy this bike if the price is fair. Maybe you would like a cruiser. Honda Shadows are nice and don't induce any fear.

Reactions: Obijack
#19 ·
I would seriously like to know what bike you came from that the FZ09 scares you?!?!? This bike is very tame compared to even 600cc bikes. The brakes are horrible compared to most of the super sports. Actually the brakes are mediocre at best! If you're scared of this bike I suggest you stay away from any bike!

#20 · (Edited)
You don't need to berate the guy, I don't think this bike is any tamer than a 600, particularly in the low range - no 600 has this torque. If everyone had the same skill level and riding style there would be one bike available.

It's not for him, big deal.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

#22 ·
As I have mentioned several times in other threads . . . Take up as much free-play as possible in the throttle cable. The less free-play . . . the better the throttle control . . . with electronic throttle actuation (fly by wire).

The bike will feel better when it is broken in . . . Give it at least 500 miles. Make sure your clutch lever is adjusted correctly too. I prefer more free-play in the clutch. Too much clutch can cause difficult starting too.

Good luck!

#30 ·
I have a habit of wanting to comment on everyone's comments! however, I will keep it to one by saying that there is a lot of truth to McMann's advice here. A friend, MM, adjusted my throttle cable and the difference is amazing. Less of what I describe as lag and then snap of power... now I know exactly when my power will be delivered. Took a few miles to develop the new wrist control given my experience but this simple adjustment (that I couldn't comprehend doing myself) alone has dramatically affected the ride-ability of my bike .

I am 2,000 miles into my 09 and every few days I feel like I have a solid grasp of B mode; and I do, but shortly after popping it into STD mode I remember why I am in B mode. This machine is amazing, but the the throttle response in STD and A modes requires serious focus and from a newbie of any sort. When I am commuting, that focus has to be spread around to every detail of situational awareness that I enjoy B mode much more. I've even gone on jaunts in A mode, not impossible for me, and I look forward to the day when my bike can stay in STD mode. It will come I know!

Overall, I am excited to be a part of this forum, I think the sum of the comments in this thread have been positive and encouraging in nature. Some comments, although single sided, seem to be spoken in truth and I think there is a need for every experience level and every collection of bikes.

....if anyone needs advice on raging a ZUMA 125; i'm your guy! hahahahah. :p

Thanks for letting me in this club and "speed safely" ya'll!

#29 ·
My brother has a 2014 Harley iron 883 and I let him ride my FZ09 for a few miles one day. He found the riding position on the FZ09 uncomfortable and the forward riding position akward as well. What he meant is the almost on top of the fuel tank position. He loved how tight the FZ09 transmission shifted and solid the clutch felt. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

#33 ·
Had me a 626 s&w .357 mag. Very nice pistol, it was a 7 shot so that was cool. Not very practical on the carry side, but fit will in my center console. I'm just a stickler for high caliber pistols and that's just me, was planning on getting a desert eagle .50 but the prices are outrageous. Still want one tho. Or that s&w .44mag ol Dwayne the rock Jonson carries in the f&f movies :p

#36 ·
I ride with a group of 12 guys with different bikes. and as new bikes get purchased theres a discussion and a chance to take it for a ride. most guys are stuck on a brand name. my pops loves his harley and thinks its a powerful quick bike thats comfortable. I have had all kinds of bikes myself and sold a harley for this bike. my other bike is a 2009 yamaha R1. I know when you ride a bike thats not for you, you know it right away. I say find the bike that makes you want to keep riding and not put it in the garage. I know that this FZ-09 is the bike for me. find the bike thats for you.

#37 ·
Super8, good luck to you on your replacement bike, whatever that may be. Keep the shiny side up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.