Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 131 Posts
If you're scared of this bike I suggest you stay away from any bike!
Whoa! - If it's to much for him don't run him off from two wheels. There are MANY more motorcycles to choose from. He needs to find what he (she) feels comfortable with to enjoy riding. Isn't that what it's all about anyway.

As I have mentioned several times in other threads . . . Take up as much free-play as possible in the throttle cable. The less free-play . . . the better the throttle control . . . with electronic throttle actuation (fly by wire).

The bike will feel better when it is broken in . . . Give it at least 500 miles. Make sure your clutch lever is adjusted correctly too. I prefer more free-play in the clutch. Too much clutch can cause difficult starting too.

Good luck!

I would seriously like to know what bike you came from that the FZ09 scares you?!?!? This bike is very tame compared to even 600cc bikes. The brakes are horrible compared to most of the super sports. Actually the brakes are mediocre at best! If you're scared of this bike I suggest you stay away from any bike!
I have ridden 5 bikes in my life and owned most ninja 250-jetted, fz600 w/2 brothers,PCIII, K&N and a 00 gsxr 750- yoshimura, 01 sv650. And this one is more, you can spin it any way you want chief this bike isn't for beginners. If he doesn't like it who cares? Keep your - comments and forum balls to yourself. The numbers alone tell you that. I hear "if I buy a bike, the first one will be a hayabusa." Well this guy knows better, just sorry he had to buy something he didn't like....

And another thing, brakes work fine for me, maybe it's your skill that is mediocre at best :).

I have ridden 5 bikes in my life and owned most ninja 250-jetted, fz600 w/2 brothers,PCIII, K&N and a 00 gsxr 750- yoshimura, 01 sv650. And this one is more, you can spin it any way you want chief this bike isn't for beginners. If he doesn't like it who cares? Keep your - comments and forum balls to yourself. The numbers alone tell you that. I hear "if I buy a bike, the first one will be a hayabusa." Well this guy knows better, just sorry he had to buy something he didn't like....

And another thing, brakes work fine for me, maybe it's your skill that is mediocre at best :).
He/she came from a sportster 883. One post that was mentioned before. So yeah the difference is great. The bike feels like a sky rocket comparing. I think he does need to give the nine a fair chance too, but his mind is probably made up, I believe. Reading his comments of what he wants in a bike, this is probably not the one. He likes exciting acceleration, but not explosiveness. He wants comfort and a bit of longer distance duty. He wants smooth shifting. I think he fell for the looks of the naked motard style bike as he mentioned a toss up of the nine and the duke. Both run and look the hooligan part. Once he got on it, he got more than just image. Coming from a slow revving bike that you can yank the throttle a lot on, to a very quick revving bike that you only move the throttle a quarter inch and dump 60 foot pounds to the ground right now. This is probably where a handful of brake comes into play thus they are dreamed too powerful and stops to fast.
Kind of steers toword a sport twin cyl.

And those bikes are great. I'm not knocking the decision, just some other elitist members thinking they are somehow "better" because they can hope in something others don't like with no problem.

It's a shame but if you don't like it, and more importantly don't feel comfortable on it then it's not the right bike for you...Get something you're comfortable riding and you'll be soooo much happier in the end.

My brother has a 2014 Harley iron 883 and I let him ride my FZ09 for a few miles one day. He found the riding position on the FZ09 uncomfortable and the forward riding position akward as well. What he meant is the almost on top of the fuel tank position. He loved how tight the FZ09 transmission shifted and solid the clutch felt. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

As I have mentioned several times in other threads . . . Take up as much free-play as possible in the throttle cable. The less free-play . . . the better the throttle control . . . with electronic throttle actuation (fly by wire).

The bike will feel better when it is broken in . . . Give it at least 500 miles. Make sure your clutch lever is adjusted correctly too. I prefer more free-play in the clutch. Too much clutch can cause difficult starting too.

Good luck!
I have a habit of wanting to comment on everyone's comments! however, I will keep it to one by saying that there is a lot of truth to McMann's advice here. A friend, MM, adjusted my throttle cable and the difference is amazing. Less of what I describe as lag and then snap of power... now I know exactly when my power will be delivered. Took a few miles to develop the new wrist control given my experience but this simple adjustment (that I couldn't comprehend doing myself) alone has dramatically affected the ride-ability of my bike .

I am 2,000 miles into my 09 and every few days I feel like I have a solid grasp of B mode; and I do, but shortly after popping it into STD mode I remember why I am in B mode. This machine is amazing, but the the throttle response in STD and A modes requires serious focus and from a newbie of any sort. When I am commuting, that focus has to be spread around to every detail of situational awareness that I enjoy B mode much more. I've even gone on jaunts in A mode, not impossible for me, and I look forward to the day when my bike can stay in STD mode. It will come I know!

Overall, I am excited to be a part of this forum, I think the sum of the comments in this thread have been positive and encouraging in nature. Some comments, although single sided, seem to be spoken in truth and I think there is a need for every experience level and every collection of bikes.

....if anyone needs advice on raging a ZUMA 125; i'm your guy! hahahahah. :p

Thanks for letting me in this club and "speed safely" ya'll!

Super8, don't feel bad. Like all things in life - live and learn. A bike is like a handgun some love a big 44 Mag S&W revolver and some don't; it's a personal thing. You may like a cruiser or sport-tourer more.
I love a big .44! I almost bought the Ruger Alaskan 44 so many times last year!!! if I lived in bear country I would own it for sure... but I just can't have it right now!
Trust me, I was proud of the mature decision I made. But I still want it.

I love a big .44! I almost bought the Ruger Alaskan 44 so many times last year!!! if I lived in bear country I would own it for sure... but I just can't have it right now!
Trust me, I was proud of the mature decision I made. But I still want it.
A .44 really isn't a practical caliber. Hanging the name Alaskan on it, really doesn't improve your chances with a bear. It will beat having nothing as all, but as the cliche' goes....remove the front sight so it wont hurt so bad when the bear shoves it up your.... True protection in bear country is done with a shotgun. However, the point is not lost that this is all about different strokes for different folks.

I think Yamaha has dropped the ball by not bringing the "07" to the states as a step up bike for people. I for one don't like the idea of messing around with different modes, or throttle by wire. I would prefer one mode, and direct throttle cable linkage such as the MT-07.

I bet Chip could sell the bike without a huge loss as it seems more popular than Yamaha projected.

Had me a 626 s&w .357 mag. Very nice pistol, it was a 7 shot so that was cool. Not very practical on the carry side, but fit will in my center console. I'm just a stickler for high caliber pistols and that's just me, was planning on getting a desert eagle .50 but the prices are outrageous. Still want one tho. Or that s&w .44mag ol Dwayne the rock Jonson carries in the f&f movies :p

I ride with a group of 12 guys with different bikes. and as new bikes get purchased theres a discussion and a chance to take it for a ride. most guys are stuck on a brand name. my pops loves his harley and thinks its a powerful quick bike thats comfortable. I have had all kinds of bikes myself and sold a harley for this bike. my other bike is a 2009 yamaha R1. I know when you ride a bike thats not for you, you know it right away. I say find the bike that makes you want to keep riding and not put it in the garage. I know that this FZ-09 is the bike for me. find the bike thats for you.

Super8, good luck to you on your replacement bike, whatever that may be. Keep the shiny side up

My experience: started at 8 years old on dirt bikes advanced thru to 250cc motocross before selling out at 22. Then 9 years later I got my first street bike, a 2001 HD 883 Hugger off the dealer floor. Loved the torque, had enough power to satisfy me and looked for any excuse to ride it. Rode it to work everyday the sun was out. What I didn't like was vibration at highway speeds. Moved to country and had less opportunity to ride it so I sold it after a little over a year. I never liked or was interested in GP/Sport style bikes but Naked/Street fighters appealed to me or so I thought. I can control my right wrist just fine as far as making mature decisions on when and where to flex the bikes muscle, but it's more than just a power issue, it just seems the bike wants me to ride it more aggressively than I want to. I don't feel confident or comfortable on it so being aggressive at all just isn't cool, just frightening and awkward. With my sportster I felt right at home almost immediately, used it to get my license the first week and set the course record at the DMV. I'm really sorry but this FZ is just NOT fun for me, I don't look forward to riding it, I have to make myself suit up and take it out. I must just be a cruiser style bike person and was seduced by the sexiness of the naked bikes and the enthusiasm owners seem to have for them, but it ain't me.
I sold my sportster and bought it back for 500 more than I sold it. Still keeping the 9 too. What a maroon, huh?

I started on an 883 hugger in 1988. Harley had a deal back then where you could trade it in within a year for full purchase price on a bigger bike. Got an FXRS and rode it for 25 more years. Andrews cam, Mikuni carb, no baffle pipes, it probably had like 85 HP. I have about 100 miles on my new FZ-09, and I see where you could be intimidated by it. You have to be much easier with your throttle hand when you have 30 more HP and 150 LB less weight. that said, I love this bike. I use B mode mostly so far, but once I get used to the ergonomics of the new ride I think STD and A mode will be used more. You should give it some more time IMO.

The USA needs a graduating M/C lic. system. start with 250 cc bike and work you way up to a 600, then an open bike, it's crazy that someone can walk into a dealership and buy a bike that there is now way that they can control it

21 - 40 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.