Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what you guys are hearing as a tick but noticed through sections of the road with side walls that I can hear a noise like a loud watch, its hard to hear as I wear ear plugs.
Is this what you guys are say is the timing chain? I guess this is around 4-5K on the rev counter.
Sorry if this is obvious and may be normal but this is my first triple and I might be overly sensitive.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds like it. One thing u can do is while you are riding crack your helmet and pull your right leg away from the bike... ull be able to hear the things happening down there better. Also as its a warranty issue can't hurt to get it swapped out. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Go out to bike and start it up. Most folks don't have a diagnostic stethoscope handy, but a long blades screwdriver will work instead. Place the screwdriver tip against the cam chain tensioner and put the handle end up to your ear, as close to the center of your ear as possible. Listen and see if the sound is coming from there or somewhere else. Most likely you are going to find that the loudest sound is coming from the CCT.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Heck man, on mine you don't need to do any of that. The noise is obnoxiously obvious. Just roll the throttle slow up to and through 4 grand. It will be loud and sound like it is loose and knocking around in motor. Just dropped mine off at dealer. He agreed the noise is not normal. Really obvious at around 4 grand.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx for the replies, sounds like mine is starting to go, I tried the suggestions of right leg and screw driver and sounds like the issue you describe. I'll speak to the dealer and see what repsonse I get.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts