Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided that the New 2021 MT09 is not as nice as my 2019 MT09 ... saw it in Rockingham NC so after being depressed on the set up & ergonomics I decided to keep my 2019 MT9 with 1500 miles .... disappointed in the 2021 new model it feels top heavy ... turning radius reduced....seat is horrible not forgiving & raised higher to the rear & the bars lowered.... rear is raised up so it puts pressure on your wrists & the lower case butts up against your right knee/ shin.... also heard the fueling & ecm are causing some bikes to die on takeoffs .... first new year for the New MT9 so they need to work out the 🐜 bugs --- so unless there's something as comfortable Iam sticking to my 2019 MT9 which is perfect...the 2021 MT 09 definitely a totally different bike… I have owned 2014-2016 FZ 09 & a 2017 FZ1 & my current 2019 MT09…. Couldn’t switch but I Iam a Yamaha freak since 1973 & understand bikes do change … I have owned 5 RZ350s from the 1980s & love the oldies too still to this day. Happy you all are happy with the new 2021 MT09 & almost paid cash to for the SP model for $11,500 out the door- I still feel sick because I wanted it so bad as I was on a waiting list since February 2021 & today I couldn’t do it. God Bless you all & Yamahas Rule…

·
Premium Member
2,934 Posts
Well there you go. We kind of agree about the part about if you don't like something don't buy it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
All good, man. No bike's perfect for everyone.

You're not the first to mention the turning radius, I remember watching a video review where the Metuber mentioned the same thing, and he turned the bars lock to lock and it did look noticeably less than on previous gen 09 (which offhand looks like has around 90 degrees of total steering lock).

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I’d really like to ride one. I want to see how different the Yamaha auto-blipper is compared to the Woolich.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,193 Posts
Can someone give me a real world example of when you actually need more turning radius. In over 50 years of motorcycling I can't recall a single instance of making a turn and hitting full lock. I have no proof or experience but it seems like if you got into a turn while counter steering and you ran out of radius, it was probably going to end up bad regardless.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,193 Posts
ok.......I'm also thinking, a 2019 is 2 years old and you only have 1500 miles on it. What reason would you have for trading it unless you hate it. It's not even broken in. I don't even know how you could ride it so little unless ......maybe you had a total knee replacement or something like that...... and even then, some people would be back on it in 4 weeks or so. This isn't a criticism, I'm just very curious.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,918 Posts
Can someone give me a real world example of when you actually need more turning radius. In over 50 years of motorcycling I can't recall a single instance of making a turn and hitting full lock. I have no proof or experience but it seems like if you got into a turn while counter steering and you ran out of radius, it was probably going to end up bad regardless.
It has nothing to do with countersteering through curves. It has everything to do with U-turns, parking lot maneuvers, and just moving it around in the garage. I rode trellis-framed Ducatis for years, and the turning radius on those sucks. Making a simple U-turn on a two lane road can be quite a challenge compared to most other bikes. I doubt the new MT is that bad, but it’s a valid point.

Just because something has never been an issue for you personally doesn’t mean it can’t be an issue for anyone else.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,193 Posts
It has nothing to do with countersteering through curves. It has everything to do with U-turns, parking lot maneuvers, and just moving it around in the garage. I rode trellis-framed Ducatis for years, and the turning radius on those sucks. Making a simple U-turn on a two lane road can be quite a challenge compared to most other bikes. I doubt the new MT is that bad, but it’s a valid point.

Just because something has never been an issue for you personally doesn’t mean it can’t be an issue for anyone else.
Who knew! I never ran into that challenge. I definitely won't buy a 2021 MT 09 now that I know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So far I’m happy with the 21, but only rode a fj-09 & xsr900 for comparison.
The 21 is more fun for me than a 20 Ninja 1k, which I sold.

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
79 Posts
The turning radius is bad.As bad as the Street triple 675 which is essentially a SS bike.
It's really annoying when you try to do a U turn.
But I also drive an Alfa Romeo which also has a bad turn radius so I got used to it.

·
Registered
45 Posts

It's a bit of a sod to get my 09 in through the front gate, turn it around then through the 2nd gate push for 10 meters then turn it around to face the gate for my next exit, lots of tight manoeuvres & 7 point turns. It hasn't got much of a lock - but i'll forgive it coz when its finally out the gate the road ahead beckons 😃

Toecutter.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
It's a bit of a sod to get my 09 in through the front gate, turn it around then through the 2nd gate push for 10 meters then turn it around to face the gate for my next exit, lots of tight manoeuvres & 7 point turns. It hasn't got much of a lock - but i'll forgive it coz when its finally out the gate the road ahead beckons 😃

Toecutter.
You can always do the ol’ kickstand pivot turn...

·
Registered
727 Posts
a real world example
I'm not at that point yet, but eventually I want to take those police rider courses where you learn to do insane close quarter turns, but that's just because I want to 1up all my skills. If a police officer can do those insane turns on a freakin Humpty Dumpty...

Real world need??? Haven't really found one. I mean, roads are pretty wide when you have to do a U-turn.

And if you have to do so many U-turns that full lock turn radius is an issue... I think a navigation unit might be in order.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I'm not at that point yet, but eventually I want to take those police rider courses where you learn to do insane close quarter turns, but that's just because I want to 1up all my skills. If a police officer can do those insane turns on a freakin Humpty Dumpty...

Real world need??? Haven't really found one. I mean, roads are pretty wide when you have to do a U-turn.

And if you have to do so many U-turns that full lock turn radius is an issue... I think a navigation unit might be in order.
Go take a ChampStreet course, and they’ll show you some tight-turn technique. But then, why would you need it when all the roads you ride on are so wide? Does your nav system help you avoid bumpy roads, too?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cant argue with your main points, turning circle is crap. Probably more of a problem here in the UK with our busy roads and country lanes. Other point about the uncomfortable seat is also very true. Bike isn't designed for long days in the saddle so I can forgive it somewhat. Still think the Yamaha comfort seat will be in my future at some point.

Fuelling is quite prickly in mode 1, I tend to use mode 2. Haven't experienced the bike cutting out though, its all the emissions nonsense running it lean at low rpm.

I haven't ridden the earlier 09's but let's face it, Yamaha haven't made the bike worse and that's a fact.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Could always back it in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a similar experience. Deposit down, but had to pass. I love the fact that they lowered the front end - it should improve front end feel. Also, I was drooling over those forks on the SP. My ‘17 can’t compete with that, even with a cartridge kit. But….. I don’t like the look. No side covers looks unfinished. That sheet metal brake lever on an SP?! Bars on risers looks oddly cruiser like, fat tank, weird headlight..,. I need to enjoy looking at my bikes and the ‘21 doesn’t do it for me like the ‘17 does.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts