Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys thought on bikes that has after market exhaustion (full system) and not having ecu flashed?
There's two mt 09 that I found but both have not flashed their ecu. One has around 4500miles and the other just shy of 6000miles. Both with full exhaust installed one is the akrapovic and m4.
I think this will be by my street bike for at least next five years and more. I'd to know some of the effects and problems of running an engine that is not tuned. Much appreciated.

·
Vendor
1,111 Posts
remember who this is coming from, a person that would benefit from telling people you will hurt the engine if you put a full exhaust on and don't flash it

There is no harm to the engine from running a full exhaust and not flashing it. I think this whole scare stems back from when we had leaded fuel and the valve seats relied on the lead to keep them cool and lubricated. Now all engines have hardened valve seats they are very durable.

Secondly these bikes are not lean at full throttle even with a full exhaust. Your not going to burn up valves cruising around at part throttle where they are lean. They are lean in this area from the factory so it would be a concern on stock bikes if it were true.

Lastly the rare bike we hear of burning an exhaust valve, my guess is that the valves were tight and not closing fully allowing the heat from the combustion chamber to get on the opposite face of the valve.

so don't hesitate to buy one of these bikes if the bike is well maintained and the price is right

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are you guys thought on bikes that has after market exhaustion (full system) and not having ecu flashed?
solitaire.onl/ 9apps.ooo/

There's two mt 09 that I found but both have not flashed their ecu. One has around 4500miles and the other just shy of 6000miles. Both with full exhaust installed one is the akrapovic and m4.
I think this will be by my street bike for at least next five years and more. I'd to know some of the effects and problems of running an engine that is not tuned. Much appreciated.

issue solved!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Akrapovic claims their system is specifically designed to work with the factory tune. I have no problems with mine. Could a flash improve my bike? Probably, but I have nothing with the way mine runs that irritates me so stock it stays at this point.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Where are all the people that swear you have to reflash bike? These bikes are junk with out it, ect, ect.
To the people doing the reflashes, I hope you are watching your ass legally. At a very recent Yamaha Gold cert class, the instructor insisted we don't change the CO adjustment with out a sniffer. If we leave a paper trail saying we even did that without meeting EPA requirements, big fines could follow. They have even gone as far as "secret shopper" carb rejet to incriminate dealerships. Just saying.

·
Vendor
1,111 Posts

ECU flashes are intended for bikes used offroad or in closed coarse competition only. The changes made could be considering tampering with emissions control and may not comply to local EPA laws. Flashed by Vcyclenut accepts no responsibilty if used on public roads.

These products are legal in California for racing vehicle only, which may never be used, registered or licensed for use upon a highway. Please refer to California's CARB laws for more detailed information and exceptions.

Notice of California Restrictions
Emissions Notice to Customers in California California regulates motorcycle aftermarket parts that have the potential to impact emissions. In most cases, the sale and use of emissions related aftermarket parts on motorcycles is prohibited unless it is either a "replacement part" as defined by California, or is a specifically authorized use of that part as reflected in an Executive Order ("EO Part.")
The California Air Resources Board (ARB) regulates aftermarket parts and has promulgated regulations that essentially place all emissions related aftermarket parts into three categories:
(1) Replacement Parts Replacement Parts are aftermarket parts that ARB considers to be functionally equivalent to the stock part they are intended to replace, and therefore would not impact the emissions from these vehicles. These parts are appropriate for sale and use on motorcycles used on or off the public highways. For aftermarket exhaust systems and parts, there are two applicable scenarios:
(a) If the motorcycle's stock exhaust system does not contain a catalytic converter, then an aftermarket exhaust part is a replacement part as long as the part does not remove or replace any emission control equipment originally attached to the stock exhaust system, such as oxygen sensors.
(b) If the motorcycle's stock exhaust system contains a catalytic converter in the manifold section of the stock exhaust system, then an aftermarket muffler positioned downstream from the catalytic converter (i.e. cat-back) is a replacement part as long as the part does not remove or replace any emission control equipment originally attached to the stock exhaust system.
(2) Executive Order Parts Executive Order Parts are aftermarket parts that ARB has evaluated and determined do not adversely impact emissions, and thereby are granted an Executive Order (EO), which allows the part to be sold and used on specified motorcycles. Any aftermarket exhaust system that replaces or otherwise impacts emission control equipment, including catalytic converters, requires an EO to be sold and used on a motorcycle used on or off a public highway.
(3) Competition Use Only Parts Competition Use Only Parts may not be sold or used on a motorcycle that is used on or off the public highways other than those motorcycles used exclusively for competition. Competition Use Only Parts are aftermarket parts that replace or otherwise interfere with the operation of an emission control device, such as a catalytic converter or oxygen sensor, and may be sold and used on a motorcycle that is used only for closed course competition.
More information can be found by accessing the Motorcycle Industry Council California Aftermarket Exhaust FAQ.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts