Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm a fairly new member around here, only getting my MT in September, but I've learned a lot from this community and seen how close a lot of you are. I've been meaning to make post about this for a month or so I just couldn't find the words or the courage to post this to people who know so little about me.

I guess I'll cut to the chase, it may be hard for some to read. On October 20, I went out for a group ride with a few friends, and for one of the first times in my life I invited my sister (and her boyfriend that I wasn't fond of) to join us since he had gotten a bike not long after I upgraded. About 5 miles from our destination, my sisters boyfriend took a corner at too high of a speed and went wide, target fixated, and locked his front brakes. He collided with a series of road signs, not before my sister was ejected and impacted said signs.

I watched the entire thing happen through my mirror. At first I had thought it was our solo female rider as it was her first season, but once I had turned around I realized this was not the case.

As I approached on foot I could hear her boyfriend calling to her, but she was unconscious. Fortunately, we were in a residential area and 911 had been called. Police arrived within minutes, the medivac chopper had been training in the area as well.

I watched as police removed her helmet and tried to open her mouth to aid breathing. Her pulse was 12 and I watched the color fade from her, before she went into the ambulance to landing site.

She survived. After 2 weeks in a coma she finally opened her eyes. The extent of her injuries include a TBI to the part of her brain that effects motor functions, 2 broken vertebrae in her neck, a broken jaw, a broken scapula, a ruptured spleen, a sprained right knee, several broken ribs, and various scrapes and cuts.

At the time of me writing this she has regained some motor functions, she actual held herself up with her arms yesterday for almost 5 minutes, and walked assisted almost 150ft. She can speak a few easy single syllable words, and has began to feed herself again. Her hugs get stronger every time I see her. Huge progress even in the eyes of her doctors who said she may never wake up, but she continues to fight, mom didn't raise any quitters.

I'm sorry for this being so long winded and erratic, but I don't keep many friends and even less that understand the inherent risk of riding motorcycles and I finally felt like I needed to get this off my chest.

If anyone would like to follow my sister's recovery, this is the link to her Facebook group. Kylie's Journey

To all who read this, and all who have posted information that has helped me, I truly thank you.

-David Helsley Jr.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Damn, David. I don't even know where to begin. First of all, welcome to our forum. I can't imagine much worse circumstances to have to share with people you hardly know, but thank you for sharing nonetheless.

Many of us here are veteran riders who have been involved in this sport for decades, so I imagine more than a few of us - myself included - have been touched by tragedies like this. Sadly, it seems to be the price of admission to the club for some. However, with that membership comes a bond with many other riders who will send you as much encouragement as we can muster.

I'm so glad to hear Kylie is alive and able to communicate with you and your family and friends. Tell her that we're all pulling for her to continue what sounds like some terrific progress.

And we look forward to hearing much happier news from you in the future!

- Scott

·
Registered
336 Posts
Very sorry to hear about this David. I think Scott's reply pretty much sums up this communities sentiments. Please tell Kylie our thoughts and prayers go out to her for a full and speedy recovery.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Even though I hate reading stories like these, I have a lot of respect for the riders that write them. By posting this situation you might make a new rider think twice before he tries to keep up with more experienced riders and really think about who is on the back of his bike. Most of us don't think of ramifications of a passenger during an accident. Prayers to you, Kylie and your family. Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all, it truly means a lot to me. I'm one of the few 29 year olds that doesn't use social media, so I felt this was the appropriate place for me to vent I suppose.

A lot of the reason I even posted was to just vent, as I've been dealing with the ups and downs and "normal" people don't tend to understand the idea of seeing something like that and then getting back on the bike and riding home the same day, but I knew a lot of you were veteran riders and would be able to more easily relate.

Scott, I agree with you that unfortunately this is the price we pay sometimes, and oddly this has motivated me to become a better, safer rider. I've already ordered all new high quality (hi viz) gear, including a 1 piece suit. I plan on spending a lot of time at the track this year, as long as my bank account allows.

This weekend is supposed to be 60 here in Upstate NY so I'll make sure to get you guys some pictures of the catskill mountains I get to enjoy seeing every day.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Very sorry to read about this. I have a Godson who was rear ended in his car at a stoplight. Similar injuries including brain. Recovery is a long road and my prayers and well wishes go out to you, your family and especially to your sister.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I've got four stories of friends in my life that this story hits very close to home with. None motorcycle related, but a significant accident, TBI, and recovery time and it is tough for everyone. Sounds like you're serving your part as the big/little brother and supporting her along the way. I don't know what your relationship is like with the sisters bf, but I just hope the family realizes nobody can change what happened and the important thing is getting Kylie healthy again. I can only imagine that this could tear a family apart or bring everyone much closer so try your best to keep it positive.

I'm sorry to hear about the story man.

- Dexter... another 30 year old who wouldn't have an outlet if my big sis wasn't available

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you both, I hope I'm not opening any old wounds for anyone either.

My sister and I never really got along too much, but didn't dislike each other, shes 5 years younger and by the time she was a goofy teenager I was out playing in bands and partying, but always had time to kick some ass if someone treated her bad.

My family understands what happened has happened, but unfortunately her boyfriend hasn't learned anything in my eyes. He still speeds in his car, "it's different" he claims, and he still texts and drives, but that's a problem to deal with in the future I'm focused on supporting her and if him being around makes her happy now, I have to deal.

On a positive side note, today was another small milestone, as several people I know received text messages and facebook likes from Kylie. My parents had gotten her an iPad for christmas and it's been set up for her to more easily start communicating. I think sometimes I take a lot of the little things in life for granted...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Jeez, harsh story for sure. Sending positive vibes for yer sis! Will probably be a long slog but getting back to normal (or very near) is possible these days. The medical field has come a long way in the last 20 years.

Venting is good for your mental health. Do as you need.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I hope she's returned to full health. good wishes to you all.
I often see riders riding like retards with a pillion on the back and wished I was young enough to give them a good slapping. I used to ride quickly with my wife on the back, but it was at the right time and place, and she was a natural pillion. I never knew she was there until she started singing.
I guess you call it judgement.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
The guy who rear ended my Godson was texting and got two speeding tickets shortly after the accident. Your sisters boyfriend sounds like an immature a-hole who will never change. Best thing for her is if he goes away.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's amazing how much the doctors can do today even compared to even 10 years ago, and the rehab center she's in is the best in the area by leaps and bounds. Shes in great hands, if only I could get her to stop trying to set me up with the nurses haha!

My Mt-09 has a rear peg delete and it will stay that way, I take enough risks and I'll never put someone in a position like that when it's out of their control.

And yeah he's a giant tool. Makes $14 an hour and wears name brand $40 shirts. Dude has more shoes than my entire family. My father has had to explain to him more than once that he needs to stop telling her that when she gets out of there they're going to get married and have kids and go back to Brazil. I don't know whether he's just stupid or what. He also got caught by a nurse going through my sister's phone and is jealous of the fact shes using facebook and texting people. I sense a guilty conscience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts