Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

Couple days ago just picked up almost new 1400KM 2019 MT-09 SP, with full carbon akra. Been riding Street Triple 675 for almost 10 years for almost 120,000KM, I remember in 2016, I picked up mt-09 but not really keen on the riding position, suspension.

But now after tried couple a days with this 2019 mt-09 sp, I found a new love. :love:

My question about this bike, in low rpm below 4000, I feel not enough torque, ie: with street triple you can run 60Km/h on 6th gear nicely, could it be because of the full system akra?
I vaguely remember when I had 2016 MT with standard can, the torque curve about the same as street triple, it can happily run 60km/h on 6th gear.

Many Thanks, no doubt I will have so many questions for this beautiful bike.
Jim

·
Registered
257 Posts
Congrats on the new baby! These things I’ve noticed don’t like hanging out below 4000 and are more comfortable between 5-6k. I very rarely have put it in 6th gear

Reactions: tempolong

·
Registered
598 Posts
4000 rpm in first gear is my wheelie rpm. Bike should snap up quickly there.

·
Registered
376 Posts
My question about this bike, in low rpm below 4000, I feel not enough torque, ie: with street triple you can run 60Km/h on 6th gear nicely, could it be because of the full system akra?
I vaguely remember when I had 2016 MT with standard can, the torque curve about the same as street triple, it can happily run 60km/h on 6th gear.
Beautiful bike, love that color combination.
Why are you riding 60km/h (37mph) in 6th gear? Maybe downshift 3-4 gears and use more of the bikes rev range, by its very design nature this motor loves to operate at or above 5k rpm (4k rpm if you are feeling very conservative).
I know that the owners manual shows those ridiculously low shift points but try doubling those recommendations and see how much better the bike feels.

According to the manual, the shift points are:
1st to 2nd- 12 mph
2nd to 3rd- 19 mph
3rd to 4th- 25 mph
4th to 5th- 31 mph
5th to 6th- 37 mph

·
Registered
191 Posts
Congrats on the new baby! These things I’ve noticed don’t like hanging out below 4000 and are more comfortable between 5-6k. I very rarely have put it in 6th gear
WHAT?????

Granted this is with my own tuning but my '19 will cleanly pull up into the revs from as low as 2,200 rpm at around 30mph in 6th gear. I run in 6th gear basically whenever I'm cruising around over 40mph. The most amazing thing about these motors is they're happy to be in ANY of it's 6 gears while on the freeway at 60. (Of course you wouldn't want to cruise along in 1st on the freeway, that's not my point.) There aren't very many engines that have usable power from 2k to 12k like these CP3's do. If your bike "doesn't like hanging out below 4k rpm", there's something wrong with it or you. lol.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm with gmtech on this one! Plenty of power all over the rev range.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Same here, I have a +2 tooth rear sprocket for quicker acceleration, at any speed the rpm's are higher than stock and I still don't use 6th unless I am close to 70mph.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
422 Posts
I gotta wonder sometimes about stuff I see posted on forums.
Look at the times posted for these bikes. Do they look like they are from a bike that doesn't have enough torque.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Jim, the torque you feel at the rear wheel is a combination of engine torque, gearing in the gearbox and gearing of the final drive chain. The Triumph might be sufficiently low-geared to allow 60kph in 6th gear, whereas the MT-09 is not. As others have said, use a lower gear for 60kph.
My experience of riding the small Triumph triples is that they rev higher than the Yamaha and can therefore be lower-geared.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many thanks, overwhelmed by the responses, appreciate it.

The seller said that he wasn't sure about the ecu flash, the akra was factory fitted, so I assume it's still stock ecu.

I really love this bike, oh my, I owned 2018 Street Triple RS and nowhere near as fun as this bike.

One quick question, if I want to flash the ECU any suggestion? Previously for Street Triple 1st generation I can download free software TuneECU and flash it my self.

I have done some reading regarding mt-09 ecu flash, and found this video about dynojet power vision 3 any thought about this?

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jim, the torque you feel at the rear wheel is a combination of engine torque, gearing in the gearbox and gearing of the final drive chain. The Triumph might be sufficiently low-geared to allow 60kph in 6th gear, whereas the MT-09 is not. As others have said, use a lower gear for 60kph.
My experience of riding the small Triumph triples is that they rev higher than the Yamaha and can therefore be lower-geared.
you're absolutely right, the gearing with street triple is 16 - 47,

·
Registered
248 Posts
Strange thread. The MT09 has torque everywhere, but you're in the wrong gear! The Triumph 765RS (never mind the 675) feels totally inadequate when compared to the MT09, in the engine department anyway.

·
Vendor
1,382 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
In the first 3 gears on the flat around town I might get in the 3000-3500 rpm range. All other gears I stay above 4k on the flat easy going roads. Anywhere else I stay between 4-5k. If in a hurry shift at about 7-8k.

Vcyclenut flashed my ecu a couple years ago after I mostly rode around in B mode for about 3 years which I think is smoother on mountain twisty roads. He changed the fan on switch plus other things I can no longer remember. Turn around was quick and I like my FZ09 better now. I left A mode alone, B mode alone, my flash parameters were made to STD so I get that whenever I turn on the bike. I have 4 bikes and totaled 9021 miles last year, 3453 were on the FZ which got the most of the 4. I didn't think worry about cost as I planned to keep riding it till at least 75, 3 years to go, maybe more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would love to get my ecu flashed professionally but currently, this bike is my only transportation tool. Might consider getting dynojet power vision.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts