Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody is experiencing this also. In low rpms there is a rattle that seems to be coming from valve cover. It happens during riding and also when not. Alot harder to hear when not riding. Seems to be getting slightly worse day by day. Taking it to dealer asap to get checked.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Dan, I am hearing something similar to what you are describing also. if this turns into several folks responding, I'll move the thread over to the garage, common problems/issues area. Keep us posted on what you find out....as to what they tell you.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have something that sounds like valve chatter to me. Varies with the revs, and is quiet but noticeable. Dunno if this the Yamaha tick or unusual value noise.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan, I am hearing something similar to what you are describing also. if this turns into several folks responding, I'll move the thread over to the garage, common problems/issues area. Keep us posted on what you find out....as to what they tell you.
I will keep u updated. Gonna drop of bike tomorrow sometime, I hope they dont keep it for a couple days though. Also I have around 1200 miles on it now. What about you tripple? Wonder if it happens around a certain mile range

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I will keep u updated. Gonna drop of bike tomorrow sometime, I hope they dont keep it for a couple days though. Also I have around 1200 miles on it now. What about you tripple? Wonder if it happens around a certain mile range
I've 1007 miles and no noticeable rattle. Did you break it in by owner manual or by Motomans method?

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I started noticing it at about 450 - 500 miles and I now have approx. 675 miles on it. It sounds like valve charter to me also. Not bad, but noticeable.....motoman break in on this end.
BTW, this is my first Yamaha so I have no expectations of what is normal and what isn't.

Reactions: nickv09

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
1000 miles on mine... has a slight rattle at idle that reminds me of a Kawi cam chain slap, but not noticeable on throttle. None of the three mechanics who drove it at the dealer mentioned anything unusual. My first Yamy too, so not sure what's normal or not. :dunno:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I started noticing it at about 450 - 500 miles and I now have approx. 675 miles on it. It sounds like valve charter to me also. Not bad, but noticeable.....motoman break in on this end.
BTW, this is my first Yamaha so I have no expectations of what is normal and what isn't.
Vern that is exactly what I'm hearing. It's not bad and it may even be valve noise through the intake. I am going to keep an ear on it and if it gets much louder or worse sounding I'll take it in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey guys, I got mine about 2 weeks ago, and started noticing a loud tappet/chain noise at about 4500-5500rpm. I was also worried, on my way to work yesterday, the noise suddenly stopped. My bike has done 950km, i suspect the camchain tensioner was inbatween clicks,(slightly loose)with the camchain settling in, then clicked over. The tensioner is sprung loaded on a ratchit, that is not infinite. Try putting your bike in 1st gear and rocking it back anf forth.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
yes, if the cam chain tensioner is a ratcheting type, rattling is normal when the tensioner is in between 'steps'. eventually it will tighten up to the next step and the rattling will disappear.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update after taking it in. Rode it 190 miles than took it to dealer, the noise almost went away after the long ride though. They test rode it and could not hear anything abnormal. My only explanation is what you guys were saying about being in between steps and it worked itself out during the ride.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Good to know...I need to put some more miles on it...tomorrow. Suppose to be 68 degrees here on Saturday.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Good to know...I need to put some more miles on it...tomorrow. Suppose to be 68 degrees here on Saturday.
Talked to Yamaha today as my bike has about 1300 miles on it now and noise is getting louder. They have it on the schedule to look at it Monday but apparently Yamaha is aware of problem and has something to do with the cam chain.

·
Registered
601 Posts
When I first started the engine at the dealer I heard a ticking sound from the engine at idle. Sound would disappear when revved to around 3-4K. I haven't noticed it since.

Sounded like randomly tapping the tip of an ice pick on a very thin sheet of aluminum.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If the tensioner is the ratchet type, you can usually get it to click to the next notch by taking out the bolt in the center of the tensioner and pushing in on the plunger with a small screwdriver(not too hard) when the engine is idling. It only works on the ratchet type, not sure which type the 09 has yet. It worked great on all Suzuki's rattly oil-cooled GSX motors.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts