Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been sitting on a stock rear shock that has been reworked by Norwest suspension. In the past week I have finally swapped out the ebay zx6 shock for the modded stocker. First ride was yesterday and very brief. Initial thoughts are "damn this thing is nice". From the limited experience thus far it definitely performs better than stock, and much better than my experience with the zx6 shock. So far the ease of installation, no plastic to be trimmed or funky maneuvering to get shock in place is a plus. Hard acceleration squat is not an issue now and it isn't the "pogo stick" that it once was.

I will update as my ride time grows on this thing, as of now seems to be a very promising option if it becomes available.

·
Registered
202 Posts
So the reworked stock shock rides better than the zx6r shock in your opinion? I may look into doing this then.

·
Registered
673 Posts
:icon_cheers:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't speak for what rework cost or time would be required this would be a question for Norwest. I can only be grateful that I was offered this opportunity, that so far has resulted in a much better shock that came stock and what had been replaced while being modified.

I will get some more ride time in as soon as possible. For the time being I am optimistic about that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you give us some more details compared to the stock? How much did it cost? How long ?
Details compared to stock so far, is night and day difference. I haven't gone for any longish rides yet, just some rough nearby roads and the shock is no longer trying to buck me off as it was before the mod.

As for the cost and turnover duration, that is a question for Norwest, my part was simply providing the donor shock, and giving feedback which I am slowly working on.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've gotten a few hundred miles now with the shock, and am really happy with this thing. It rides much smoother than before and has given me more confidence through the bumpy backroads of Sonoma County. Unsure whether or not Terry will be offering this up as an option, but if he does and the price is right I'd highly suggest it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've gotten a few hundred miles now with the shock, and am really happy with this thing. It rides much smoother than before and has given me more confidence through the bumpy backroads of Sonoma County. Unsure whether or not Terry will be offering this up as an option, but if he does and the price is right I'd highly suggest it.
He told me he would do it, about the same price as a ZX6R rebuild ~$200 but the 636 shock has more adjustability, so I went went with that one. He did a great job.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He told me he would do it, about the same price as a ZX6R rebuild ~$200 but the 636 shock has more adjustability, so I went went with that one. He did a great job.
I had read the post about that, makes me consider sending my zx6r shock over to have it reworked. I like the simplicity and ease of fitment of the stock shock, the zx6 reservoir was really close to the starter and ground wires. If I do go that route , will definitely need to work on these issues.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I had read the post about that, makes me consider sending my zx6r shock over to have it reworked. I like the simplicity and ease of fitment of the stock shock, the zx6 reservoir was really close to the starter and ground wires. If I do go that route , will definitely need to work on these issues.
Put the reservoir up and you won't have that problem. Only need to trim the under seat tray a little in the front. No matter how much money you put into the stock shock, it still doesn't have compression adjustments, only preload and rebound.

·
Registered
120 Posts
No matter how much money you put into the stock shock, it still doesn't have compression adjustments, only preload and rebound.
Just for clarification does that mean it is bad if you don't have a compression adjuster or just lacking something you would find useful?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts