Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my shock revalved/resprung by Terry and WOW - This is what a suspension is supposed to do. Bumps are now singular - no more 2 -3 little after bumps as the damping finally controls suspension movement. No more rear stepping out in corners. The ride is definitely better than stock over bumpy roads AND I have no squat under acceleration. Terry set this up for me based on my weight (180 w/o gear) and riding style (street - somewhat aggressive at times) and it is spot on.

Installation was a breeze using the 10 minute method since it's the same as stock and I happen to like the stealth appearance. (Only difference is no sticker on the shock an a spacer ring)

For $125 labour + ~$70 in parts (you supply your shock) I don't think this setup can be beat. Terry had a shock on hand so I could keep riding while built mine and then just send mine back as a core exchange.

A great, easy going guy to deal with too. I wish he had a couple of FZ-09 forks laying around.

·
Registered
555 Posts
+1 on this, had the same thing done to my stocker by Terry @ NorWest - what a difference a shock-tune made.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
what does it do exactly? what difference is the revalved shock over the stock shock?

how it a revalved shock compared to a ohlins shocks or anyother aftermarket shock?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm not a suspension expert, I'd let Terry weigh in on the particulars.

NorWest details some of what goes into their revalve service on their site:
Shock Rebuild/Revalve | NorWest Suspension LLC

My experience started with a dialogue of what I was looking for, how I ride, height, weight, etc.
At 6' and 260 with gear I'm far outside of the 170lbs rider setup for the rear spring & shock.

We discussed the options for rebuilding a ZX6R shock that I have or rebuilding an OE FZ09 shock.
I decided to have the FZ09 shock revalved & resprung.

I then removed and shipped my rear shock to NorWest who had it finished and shipped back in a few days.
I installed it, waited for the weather to turn, and went out for a few hours ride at a time each day over the course of a week.

The difference was apparent from the moment I left my neighborhood.

How does it compare to an Ohlins, I've no idea on the FZ-09 but vs the stock shock it feels worlds better.
Do I have all of the adjustment options of a clicker, no, but then again perhaps I don't need it. Time will tell.

After the rebuild riding over chatter (rippled PA roads near intersections) the rear wheel stays firmly planted, on acceleration the rear no longer squats, in turns the suspension is not at it's limits but is very consistent and I'm able to keep it in a compliant range. Before making turns, especially under acceleration, led to inconsistent results as the suspension was unable to work optimally, only getting worse riding over road defects, etc.

Keep in mind I was not looking for a track day setup, I was also not looking to a 3rd party frankenshock installation but something close to stock for commuting, group rides, some fun time and a long season of teaching.
The stock rebuild was fast, economical and provided what I was looking for - a revision that was cost effective and eliminated some of the worst aspects of the stock rear suspension.

Compared to the double clicker on my S3 on a typical cruise it's doing what it is supposed to be doing which is in line with my expectations.
Will I get another rear shock in the future, not sure - I'm a little more concerned about the front end (Stoltec GP revision next) at this point and its propensity to dive under braking, run out of travel (according to my zip tie).

What would my next shock be if it wasn't the OE rebuild, probably an 8900E.
At this point I've bought myself a piece of mind & engaged a small business that did a good job exceeding my expectations for service and performance.

I did come across this:
Top 10 Misconceptions about Motorcycle Suspension

as well as this:

Which also helped frame what I was looking for, could expect from a stock rebuild.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
how hard is it to get the stock shock off?

what all has to be removed if anything?

hoping its just as simple as unbolting the shock...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nice write up, and links Gork. Glad I saw this as I was looking at inexpensive options to get some more performance out of the suspension.

I'll be contacting Terry soon about doing the forks and shock at the same time, looking forward to the results!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I'm not a suspension expert, I'd let Terry weigh in on the particulars.

NorWest details some of what goes into their revalve service on their site:
Shock Rebuild/Revalve | NorWest Suspension LLC

My experience started with a dialogue of what I was looking for, how I ride, height, weight, etc.
At 6' and 260 with gear I'm far outside of the 170lbs rider setup for the rear spring & shock.

We discussed the options for rebuilding a ZX6R shock that I have or rebuilding an OE FZ09 shock.
I decided to have the FZ09 shock revalved & resprung.

I then removed and shipped my rear shock to NorWest who had it finished and shipped back in a few days.
I installed it, waited for the weather to turn, and went out for a few hours ride at a time each day over the course of a week.

The difference was apparent from the moment I left my neighborhood.

How does it compare to an Ohlins, I've no idea on the FZ-09 but vs the stock shock it feels worlds better.
Do I have all of the adjustment options of a clicker, no, but then again perhaps I don't need it. Time will tell.

After the rebuild riding over chatter (rippled PA roads near intersections) the rear wheel stays firmly planted, on acceleration the rear no longer squats, in turns the suspension is not at it's limits but is very consistent and I'm able to keep it in a compliant range. Before making turns, especially under acceleration, led to inconsistent results as the suspension was unable to work optimally, only getting worse riding over road defects, etc.

Keep in mind I was not looking for a track day setup, I was also not looking to a 3rd party frankenshock installation but something close to stock for commuting, group rides, some fun time and a long season of teaching.
The stock rebuild was fast, economical and provided what I was looking for - a revision that was cost effective and eliminated some of the worst aspects of the stock rear suspension.

Compared to the double clicker on my S3 on a typical cruise it's doing what it is supposed to be doing which is in line with my expectations.
Will I get another rear shock in the future, not sure - I'm a little more concerned about the front end (Stoltec GP revision next) at this point and its propensity to dive under braking, run out of travel (according to my zip tie).

What would my next shock be if it wasn't the OE rebuild, probably an 8900E.
At this point I've bought myself a piece of mind & engaged a small business that did a good job exceeding my expectations for service and performance.

I did come across this:
Top 10 Misconceptions about Motorcycle Suspension

as well as this:

Which also helped frame what I was looking for, could expect from a stock rebuild.

are you talking about the 25mm GP cartridge kit? Penseske offers that if you send in your forks they can install the kit for a additional $250. I'm gonna check my local shop, and see what they would charge to install the kit, sending it to Penske and have them install it might me cheaper. the forks are easier to remove than the rear spring from what I've seen and read.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Talking about the 14+ FZ-09 GP Suspension Fork Piston Kit with a better spring rate not the cartridge kit. Honestly putting $1.5K in front cartridges and $1-1.5K into the rear shock for the FZ-09 to straighten out (IMHO) factory suspension flaws is a little irritating. I may do an 8900E + the front suspension kit but for now my rebuilt stock shock is very well suited for my riding needs. If they had a ~$500 front kit I may consider it but other than oil I've never had to revise my Speed Triple front forks for any reason.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Talking about the 14+ FZ-09 GP Suspension Fork Piston Kit with a better spring rate not the cartridge kit. Honestly putting $1.5K in front cartridges and $1-1.5K into the rear shock for the FZ-09 to straighten out (IMHO) factory suspension flaws is a little irritating. I may do an 8900E + the front suspension kit but for now my rebuilt stock shock is very well suited for my riding needs. If they had a ~$500 front kit I may consider it but other than oil I've never had to revise my Speed Triple front forks for any reason.
what method did you use to remove your shock? I just had a look outside at how its mounted on a 2015 FZ09, and I honestly think I could get to both bolts without removing the tank or anything. but from what I read it just needs to be lifted in the rear for leverage to remove the spring entirely?

I'm thinking next summer to remove the rear shock, put the bike on a paddock stand in the front, lift the rear of the bike on some jackstands, with the help of a paddock stand, and put the rear pegs on a couple of jackstands. and try to remove the bolts with out removing the gas tank or anything. I do believe its possible.

if not , I'll just outsource the work to the local motorcycle shop. haha.

I think the $181 kit would be all that would be needed really.

this is something I would consider doing also. I may just ride this summer to see how I like the stock setup, and if it isn't really as great as everyone says, (even Revzilla did a write up on the suspension) I will buy all the parts, and have them installed when riding season is over.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I think it's worth it to remove the tank completely. Not a difficult task and gives you a lot more room to work the shock in and out. Is it possible to do it without removing the tank? Sure. Is it worth the headache? not in my opinion. Tank removal takes 5 minutes tops.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Similar to the OP I sent my shock off to Terry, service was great. He was very quick answering any questions and had a 2 day turn around on my shock from when he received it to when it left on it's way back. I haven't had a chance to reinstall yet but I'm sure it will be a big improvement.

Shock.jpg

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Terry is awesome when it comes to explaining things/answering questions. I'll finally have the bike together from winter mod installs this week. Can't wait to ride it with the improved suspension :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Terry is awesome when it comes to explaining things/answering questions. I'll finally have the bike together from winter mod installs this week. Can't wait to ride it with the improved suspension :)
How has the stock shock revalve/resprung been treating you? Trying to figure out which way i want to go before this cold weather breaks and i start riding every day. I do mostly commuting and spirited riding through the mountains and some 2 up riding as well.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
How has the stock shock revalve/resprung been treating you? Trying to figure out which way i want to go before this cold weather breaks and i start riding every day. I do mostly commuting and spirited riding through the mountains and some 2 up riding as well.
Thanks in advance
The shock has been working well. No complaints from me.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I hadn't herd of the stocker being rebuilt either. A nice, affordable option indeed.

I hear you on being annoyed about needing to spend $$$ fixing the suspension. At 225lbs, I need to tune the suspension regardless. I wasn't too bothered with the horrible dampeners, as i planned on aftermarket from the beginning. The 09 with good suspension is probably the most fun I've had on a street bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts