Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

How important are 'smooth' roads for this get together?

• I don't want to ride on anything rougher than a race track

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm ok with slowing down for some rough roads as long as the scenery is nice

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Jeep tracks are cool with me, I'll ride it like an enduro

Votes: 1 25.0%
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

Registered
Just noticed this. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it but I am interested if this becomes a anual ride, or you plan other future rides. I have a buddy in Redding I try to ride with evey year and I'm due to get down that way.

Registered
2017 Hi-Viz and Matte Grey MT-09
Here i am tagging a member who jasnet posted for years, maybe hes got email alerts... @Nitmare

@BattleBornBike - you going to be able to skip work?
Yes, and no. 馃槀

I don't work tomorrow, but I work a noon to midnight today. So my timeline is a little crunched for getting to the rendezvous. Playing it by ear right now; I'd have to leave by 8:45 or so to make it by 10 am, which means getting up early-ish after coming home around 1 am and hoping to fall right asleep.

Registered
Sorry to double post, but the get-together happened. Turns out it was all Northern Nevada riding in California. By all, I mean @psycoreefer and me. Apparently, that was all who showed up.

I arrived fashionably late (as was probably expected) - right as psyco was fixing to take off solo. After a very brief hello, we set off.

The weather was, after I got to Tahoe and the rest of the way there, sublime. Cool and sunny. Cool until we got to just outside Forest Hill. Then it was hovering at triple digits. That was also where we found the most traffic - meaning we were going the slowest. Camelbak was a huge win. Traffic was reasonable. We did hit a couple folks who were just content to cruise but for the most part, we moved along at our own pace.

The roads were of mixed quality. More than a few potholes, heaves, gnarly patches, and one killer cattle guard (R.I.P. my back and license plate. Again.) littered some of the ride. However, there were far and away way more beautiful twisty curves to enjoy sprinkled with some straighter sections to soak in the sights. And oh! Those sights.

I may be slightly biased, but I feel like I live in the most beautiful and amazing region of the Earth. This ride exemplified those qualities that I love so much. Massive Pines the likes of which dwarf lesser trees disappear into even more drastic gulches carved by raging rivers eons old. Errant creeks amble through the thickets of brush and the rocky landscape. Thin strips of tarmac wind fro, hither, and yon through it all. If the treacherous drops weren't so menacing, I think I would have loved to have spent the whole ride absorbing the stunning landscape.

I will confess: on a stock seat, I was a tad ambitious trying to do this all in one day. All said and done, I did about 240 miles on that hard plank. If I could change one thing about the ride, it would probably be that seat - followed by toning back that heat at the end and then Thanos-snapping all those pavement problems back into the hell they spawned in.

Anyways, here are a couple of photos. I have a Gopro stuffed with footage from the ride. I'll try to get that put together at some point.

Thank you, Psyco, for putting this together. Hopefully we have some more takers next time.

Registered
Ah man! Hey, 2 is better than 0.
Here's to another meet with some good turn out.

Registered
2016 xsr 900
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Sorry I missed this ride, I lost track of this thread and didn't realize that it was happening on the 17th. :cry:
How could you miss it. The date is in the title, I bumped it several times during the week before, I even tagged you by name! Excuses suck - just tell me to my face that you didn't want to ride with me!

Anyways, I'm going to throw out another ride for maybe sometime in late september, probably somewhere a little further from me, but maybe closer to you and see if we can pull in some of the coastal folks.

Registered
2016 xsr 900
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Half way between Sacramento and South Lake Tahoe off of highway 50. I'm a pretty conservative rider though for the most part- I started riding street in 1974, so a long time ago (getting up there in years!). But if you two wanted to swing by, we're literally 2 minutes off of 50, opposite Apple Hill.
@stuarth - looks like we were right in your backyard on Saturday. I'll try to remember to tag you in future posts so hopefully you'll have a chance to put some faces to all the names.

Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
Looks like a great ride. Good for you guys. Congratulations on being real motorcyclists.

We're trying to organize a ride on the east coast and it's the same thing. Darf, Muc and myself are the only ones. This falls under my new theory.....that most people buy motorcycles, put on a zoomy sounding exhaust to impress their friends and then put on 1900 miles over 5 years and then sell it. With all of the threads about comfortable seats, you'd think that people were suffering from bloody bums from all of the riding they do, but it doesn't seem like it.

Registered
That stock seat sucks after about 100 miles, imo. 200 miles is brutal. 250 miles? You've got to be daft.

Registered
2019 MT-09
Yup, I picked up my bike about 100 miles from home and by the time I got it home I knew I had to get a better seat. I would rather pay a couple hundred bucks more to have a decent seat, better shocks, and please please a better fuel & throttle maps. Can't understand why Yamaha hasn't fixed these three vexing problems.

Registered
2018 MT 09
Glad you two got out and by the looks of it had an amazing time. Keep the rides going and keep the pictures coming and I bet you'll get a few more takers. I'm with @Darf that if I can squeeze it into my schedule in the near future I'd love to get out west to ride with some of you. Here's to those of that like to put miles on our bikes.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts