Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

How important are 'smooth' roads for this get together?

• I don't want to ride on anything rougher than a race track

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm ok with slowing down for some rough roads as long as the scenery is nice

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Jeep tracks are cool with me, I'll ride it like an enduro

Votes: 1 25.0%
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm gonna pre-run this route on Saturday this week if anyone is interested in joining me. I've never actually ridden these roads so I want to check them out so that I can adjust plans if they turn out to be crap/closed/whatever.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It is a bit far but I'm definitely interested, thanks for tagging me! Put me down as tentative for now, I will confirm on Monday if I can make it happen or not.
No rush and no commitment - we'll all be meeting up July 17th, if you're there you made it if not - no harm done.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So I rode this route on Saturday and.....some sections are a bit rough. It was all paved from 50 north to forest hills. Going from south to north, the section between the two yellow pins is basically a paved logging road, 30-35MPH max. From the more northern yellow pin to the blue pin is slightly better, and its heavily forested rather than burned out so it is nice to look at. From Blue pin to green pin the roads are moderate to good, and from Green pin into forest hills they are good.

HWY 50 north on G1& G2 roads - Google My Maps

Another options is to run these roads north of Placerville. I've run hwy 49 and it is nice, although it can be busy. I've not ridden 193, or whatever road is highlighted in yellow on this map, so it would be an adventure.

Anyone have thoughts, preferences, objections?

·
Registered
2017 Hi-Viz and Matte Grey MT-09
559 Posts
My boss has been out (very, very) sick the last two weeks. And will be out next week, too. If she is out the week after, I may be kind of hosed.

But so long as the roads are paved, I don't mind them being rough. Unpaved is kind of emergency only for me. And my driveway.

·
Registered
231 Posts
We rode all over those mountains in the '80's, '90's and 2000's on dirtbikes. Explored pretty much everything between Foresthill and Lake Tahoe/Homewood. We did the Rubicon from Loon Lake to lunch in Homewood, then back to our camp at Loon Lake many times. There's some crazy cool stuff in those mountains you'd only see going off road.

Even took our old class c motorhome with a trailer full of bikes from Foresthill to Loon Lake before Wentworth Springs road was paved. If we could do it then when it was just a dirt jeep trail, any of you should be fine on a street bike now that it's paved. Not sure if the road up to Duncan Peak Lookout is passable for a street bike, it wasn't the last time I was up there but again, we took our old motorhome up to the peak many times. If you can get up to the lookout it's WELL WORTH THE DETOUR. The guys working the lookout are usually friendly and happy to show you around. You can see the ski runs at Heavenly Valley from that lookout, pretty crazy.

·
Registered
2019 MT-09
91 Posts
If the boarder was open I'd be tempted to take the PCH down and cut across to join you. Sounds like a great trip! Have fun!

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
If the boarder was open I'd be tempted to take the PCH down and cut across to join you. Sounds like a great trip! Have fun!
I'm really hoping this will grow into a bigger weekend long annual event like the east coast rallies. We have epic roads out here all through the coast & sierra's....plenty of fodder without having to ride the same roads every year.

·
Registered
2019 MT-09
91 Posts
Hey you might want to check out RevZilla's Route Planning App. Download the 'Rever' app on your phone, Create Route or start tracking your ride, Share the trip with online comm tools. If a bunch of people used this app and shared the route with comments it would be pretty cool.

Reactions: Darf

·
Registered
231 Posts
Are you coming along, Mr gmtech?
Not likely. That route would be a really cool ride but for me it would mean 3 hours just to get to Whitehall or Auburn. If I'm going to be on the freeway for 6 hours I'd much rather be in my big comfy motorhome than on my naked bike. I really enjoy riding my MT09, but mostly on nice curvy mountain roads which luckily I can get to easily from my house.

Whoever goes on that ride will enjoy it, that's cool country to explore. The other REALLY cool little detour on that route is to actually go to Loon Lake. It's a beautiful mountain lake and behind it is the start of the Rubicon Trail. If you go across the dam and then down the hill behind the lake you can actually ride on some of the giant granite mountain slabs. Just seeing it is interesting because it's not something you normally see. Huge flat expanses of granite that are really cool to ride on. As long as you're careful, there are a few sections right off the gravel road below the dam that you can do on a street bike. And if you're down below the dam, have somebody ride by on the road above, the rows of big granite blocks make the exhaust sound turn on an off as bikes or cars drive by. Totally weird when you hear it for the first time. DO IT!!!

·
Registered
Batmobile
786 Posts
I love REVER, I have the premium subscription and use it to share my location with my girlfriend, mother, and sister while I'm out.

@MK3Brent and I were talking about a possible road trip to Laguna/WCR in the next year or two. I'm sure if something was to be organized @Muc would try to and make it out as well, he's got the same attitude about making rides happen. I have no idea what the west coast is like, but finding a good riding area in a location accessible to a good range of folks would draw out more interest. Excited to see some photos and videos of this ride though, and major props for setting something like this up.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
OK, so this is the planned route:
For those with Rever accounts: MT/FZ/XSR group ride
For those who prefer google maps: 09 group Ride July 17th 2021 - Google My Maps

We will be meeting at the turn off from HWY50 to 'ice house road', marked with a Green pin on the google map at 10am. Leaving from the parking lot there around 10:30am.
There is no gas from that point till you reach Forest hills, probably close to 75miles. Strongly suggest anyone coming fills up at one of the two blue 'fuel' pins so there is no range anxiety to ruin a good ride.
At 10:30am we'll leave on ice house road and ride north. Stopping to regroup at the corners marked in yellow. I'm open to a side trip up to loon lake if others are also. Rever says this route will take about 3.5 hours, so we'll hit lunch at the end around 2-3pm. We'll wrap up the ride at 'Burger & Cream' in auburn for lunch with a frosty milk shake. After that you're all on your own, I'll be riding west because I have a class on the 18th at Sonoma Raceway.
Hope to see you there!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
This looks way cool and I'ld be there if I didn't live a week away!
The left coast dudes haven't done anything since Hawkerjet did a meet up many years ago so ya all need to make this happen---------no excuses!

·
Registered
231 Posts
@Frisco @BattleBornBike @jmillington @RichardCranium @DRT_RUNR @gmtech16450yz
Hope some of you guys can make it out for a ride this weekend, meeting up at 10am.
Sorry but there's no way I can do that ride. We're loading up our RV and heading to Colorado for awhile. Already spent some time on Zillow last night looking at what we could buy around Fort Collins, who knows maybe we won't come back!

Like I said, the minor detour up to Loon Lake would be worth it imo. And also look at Duncan Peak, it's been so long since I've been up there they might have actually put a paved road up to the lookout for all I know.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
psycoreefer is the real deal!

21 - 40 of 54 Posts