Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if there is any desire of folks in the bay, Sacramento, Reno & surrounding areas for an FZ/MT/XSR get together?
I'd like to maybe do something like the 'east coasters' do with their ECR eventually, but thinking of starting with maybe a meetup on a saturday morning, short defined route ride, lunch as a group, and then folks can go home....if anyone else would be interested I'll try to put something like this together.

·
Registered
2017 Hi-Viz and Matte Grey MT-09
522 Posts
So long as I'm not working, I'm totally down for this kind of thing! Never ridden with anyone before - so that'll be interesting.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FYI - I really kind of hate 'group' rides - so the plan would be more of "this is the route, here is a map, my phone number, and where we plan to meet up for lunch, have a fun ride" Rather than 'Follow me everyone, hope you can keep up and/or don't get bored with my pace"

I'm not sure how well people will like that, or how it will work out but that is my plan for the first attempt.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'm sure some of the others will chime in, but for the ECR the route was pretty much set and if there was an intersection everyone pulled off to wait for the last guy, a.k.a. me.

I really hope you guys get a good group together for something like this. We have a bunch of new guys on your guys coast too!

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure some of the others will chime in, but for the ECR the route was pretty much set and if there was an intersection everyone pulled off to wait for the last guy, a.k.a. me.

I really hope you guys get a good group together for something like this. We have a bunch of new guys on your guys coast too!
I basically stole the pre-planned route idea from you guys, it came up in another thread, maybe the one about group rides? I'd really like to come out to an ECR and see how you all organize it because it truly sounds like everyone has a great time, and I'm not above stealing good ideas. I want to start small with a few day rides and see how it goes.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Maybe not this summer, but I want to ride up the PCH. Y'all WC crew, get yo selves organized and I'll meet up next year. I'll start looking for where I can rent a MonsTah-09 in Cali.

·
Registered
2019 MT09, ‘20 R1, ‘10 ZX6R
48 Posts
Wondering if there is any desire of folks in the bay, Sacramento, Reno & surrounding areas for an FZ/MT/XSR get together?
I'd like to maybe do something like the 'east coasters' do with their ECR eventually, but thinking of starting with maybe a meetup on a saturday morning, short defined route ride, lunch as a group, and then folks can go home....if anyone else would be interested I'll try to put something like this together.
I’m in, 🤙
I’m located in the Tri-Valley area

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
871 Posts
Trying to organize group rides is a thankless task. I tried to do one last year in NYC when there were essentially no vehicles on the road. The closer it got to the date, more and more people bailed until it was just my self and Darf which in the end was great because he turned out to be such a cool guy. I had a blast. My only regret is that we live far apart. Still, I plan on meeting up with him in his new locale and do another ride. You wouldn't think that it would be that difficult to find people that want to go on rides on a motorcycle forum.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
715 Posts
Trying to organize group rides is a thankless task. I tried to do one last year in NYC when there were essentially no vehicles on the road. The closer it got to the date, more and more people bailed until it was just my self and Darf which in the end was great because he turned out to be such a cool guy. I had a blast. My only regret is that we live far apart. Still, I plan on meeting up with him in his new locale and do another ride. You wouldn't think that it would be that difficult to find people that want to go on rides on a motorcycle forum.

View attachment 165002
It's definitely tough to organize a group event. The whole pandemic didn't help the cause last year either, partially for me it made it hard to plan anything as everything was up in the air. It is definitely worth it in the end. The biggest problem I see is building concensis. I've found that it helps to find a small core group of committed parties and just move forward with plans with that group. then it will build organically from there. Some times it takes pictures and tales of the first event to encourage participation in the next go round.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I’m down for a ride!I live in The East Bay and ride in West Marin regularly. If you guys are up for a North Coast ride, hit me up for route suggestions.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Frisco @BattleBornBike @jmillington @RichardCranium - you all expressed some interest. I'd like to meet up on July 17th, sometime around 10am. I'm thinking we'll ride the area between HWY 50 and Interstate 80, possibly something like this, finishing in Auburn for late lunch or early Dinner depending on how long it takes us to get there. I'm open to suggestions on route/food joints at this point.

·
Registered
692 Posts
It's definitely tough to organize a group event. The whole pandemic didn't help the cause last year either, partially for me it made it hard to plan anything as everything was up in the air. It is definitely worth it in the end. The biggest problem I see is building concensis. I've found that it helps to find a small core group of committed parties and just move forward with plans with that group. then it will build organically from there. Some times it takes pictures and tales of the first event to encourage participation in the next go round.
If there's some riding to be had, I make it happen. I even had the days off in September for the west Virginia ride that fell through. I remember the days coming up and I had them off on the work schedule and couldn't remember why.

That being said if you guys can build this into a thing I might make it out to the west coast for a weekend next year.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
715 Posts
If there's some riding to be had, I make it happen. I even had the days off in September for the west Virginia ride that fell through. I remember the days coming up and I had them off on the work schedule and couldn't remember why.

That being said if you guys can build this into a thing I might make it out to the west coast for a weekend next year.
Yeah, I try to do the same to make rides happen. I hated that the ride in WV fell through, for me it just got pushed to the back burner with everything else that was going on a the time.

an intriguing idea making a west cost jaunt, if the stars aligned I'd be in the mix as well.

·
Registered
2017 Hi-Viz and Matte Grey MT-09
522 Posts
A Duc is going to be there? Nah I'm out. /s

My boss started asking why I asked for the day off, and then wrote her name below mine. I really hope I don't get hosed here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts