Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone planning to ride? I'll be plugging in the electric vest and making a run on Sat, Sunday or both this weekend. Let me know if anyone wants to get a burger at TWO and bench race.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Have fun down there. I really enjoy that area, but I'm a wuss when it comes to cooler/cold weather so that ride is more of a summertime venture for me and Peg.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
I wish I could, but I have a date with the U of GA Bulldogs. Thanks for the invite and enjoy what should be a good day for riding.
I've been getting up that way the last couple of Tuesday's. I'll be going again Wednesday, if it doesn't rain.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I want to ride real bad...but I don't like freezing either.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
In Suches it will be in the low 60's for Saturday/Sunday. Going up to 68 Tuesday.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well damn, now you guys have me double guessing myself. Maybe I'll load the bike in the truck and sip on a latte on the way to dahlonega.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
You will have a fine time up there. Plenty of people will be out and riding. I wish TWO was like it was before with GT and Britt. You know that GT passed away from a heart attack a couple of months ago. I appreciate that Bill Johnston made the investment in bringing TWO back, but the food sucks and the local couple running the place have zero personality or connection with the moto-community. Things ain't what they used to be.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn, I didn't know about GT, that sucks. Great people, lot's of great memories up there. Once I pulled up on my XR650L, hot as hell outside, jumped off and didn't get the kickstand all the way down. Dumped my bike like a jackass, and he calmly said " that year did not have the auto-kickstand". I had to take it like a champ....:rolleyes: no response needed....

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
I hate to date myself, but there was a time when the speed limit was 55mph on HWY60 with passing zones everywhere.
Scott Russell would go up there and just scorch those roads. I have the Scott Russell autographed poster that used to
hang on the wall in the TWO lodge. Frank Cheek was so proud that Scott came up there right after his 1994 Daytona 200
victory to say how much TWO and riding those roads around Suches contributed to his "education".

Of course, Scott had won the World Superbike Championship the year before in a titanic, season-long struggle with Carl Fogarty.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I remember that poster. What happened to the Fast Freddie Spencer, Nick Hayden and Eric Bostrom posters I wonder? PS, I hope Scott gets to announce next year with the new US series.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
They weren't there along with the huge US map that had hundreds of pushpins marking the locations of all the visitors when I bought a bunch of stuff out of the lodge. The cattle skull hangs in my office. I should have bought a couple of those whitewashed Adirondack chairs, but I was already feeling like a vulture after buying all the TWO stickers and patches I could find and the few other mementos I carted off. Britt tried to give me the piano, but wouldn't budge on the $600 they wanted for the chromed out Z50 Monkey bike.

Listening to Scott is like listening to Ted Turner. Super-smart fellas, with crazy nasal voices and thick accents. I talked with Brian Drebber the other day and asked if he was going to make a run at some work with KRAVE, but he wasn't feeling it. Those boys better bring their A Game if they are going to get 30,000 fans back to a race weekend at Road A. That track is really a weak shadow of it's former self. I dearly miss Gobert, the Bostrom's, Mladin, Yates , DuHamel, et al.

I'm out of here, got to get some sleep...I've been up since 3am.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'll be going again Wednesday, if it doesn't rain.
I might be going up there wednesday morning.

I' was actually gonna goo tomorrow but my buddy called me about the Acworth Craft Beer Festival, and it sounds too good to pass up

Reactions: ridetofish

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
let me know if you guys are still riding Wednesday, I feel the Budweiser flu coming on so may have to call in sick.....

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
I'm on the fence as to whether it's going to be Tuesday or Wednesday. If it's Wednesday, I'll post up here Tuesday about lunchtime.
I'm feeling the need for a bit of trout fishing on the Toccoa at Dial, GA. and I may try for a little bit of both.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
I just looked at the weather, Wednesday is going to be too cold for me. And I might be too lazy to go tomorrow.
But there will be more warm days in the near future.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
I was too lazy to ride today (Tuesday) and it will be too cold for me Wednesday.
If you do have the option of calling in sick, we'll get together soon. It has to be close to
65F for several hours in order for me to feel comfortable enough to twist and shout.
My perfect winter conditions for north Georgia riding is mostly cloudy and warm'ish.

I did change the oil, cleaned and lubed the chain and fiddled with the chain adjustment/wheel alignment.
Also, I did satin black vinyl wrap the foot shift adjuster rod. That bit of shiny aluminum has always bothered me.
I know...too much time on my hands.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I hate to date myself, but there was a time when the speed limit was 55mph on HWY60 with passing zones everywhere.
I don't mind dating myself. Growing up in Kansas, there was no state speed limit. The official limit was "reasonable and prudent". During the stretch of national 55 mph limit, I was driving a motorhome pulling a trailer loaded with dirt bikes. It got 8.9 mpg at that speed so I was in no hurry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts