Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I haven't been there, to to help those that know more, how far are you willing to travel? Are you thinking of a track school? Track days? Etc.

Sometimes it's not just where the tracks are, it's where/when the type of school or track day club will be.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Laguna is a track to die for. I have seen some track day there in the past. I remember setting up in the padock while bike were doing track day. Buttonwillow right off I-5 was a good test track too for cars and seen many bikes there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The tracks in California are from South to North:
Fontana - Nascar tri-oval with a road course in the infield - haven't ridden it so I can't say anything about it

Chuckwalla - out in the middle of the desert about 40 minutes east of Palm Springs - haven't ridden it but looks like fun as long as you are not going there in the summer (110 degrees +)

Willow Springs - Rosamond, CA about 90 minutes north and a little east of LA off HWY 14. The big track is fast, way fast and a blast to ride. Streets of Willow (the little track) is also fun but for different reasons. There are also other tracks like a flat track and some off road tracks there. I actually have not been down there for 10+ years but it is a great facility. I raced at WS for years.

ButtonWillow - right next to I5 straight west of Bakersfield - track surface is getting bad in a couple of spots but otherwise is a great first track because almost all of the sightlines are unobstructed. Basically zero elevation changes except for a couple of dirt piles they added. I have done several track days there and really enjoy it.

Laguna Seca, Monterey - awesome track. Surface is smooth and well maintained. Sightlines are ALL obstructed so that can be a real challenge for some. Awesome runoff. Corckscrew is breathtaking the first few times. I've done a few trackdays there and love that track as well.

Sear Point/Sonoma Raceway - about 10 minutes south of Sonoma - this track is a staple of tracks in the Bay Area. Surface is not great, runoff is not great sightlines are not great in many turns but still a lot of fun. I've done track days there a few times. Not my first choice as I prefer Laguna but there are a lot more trackdays at Sears than at Laguna and typically Laguna is $50-100 more than Sears.

Thunderhill, Willows, CA - about 2-2.5 hours north of Sears point just off I5. I have not made it up to a track day at Thunderhill yet but many of my friend have been there many times and it is on my todo list. Looks like a lot of fun and there are many trackdays there each year. Typically a little cheaper than Sears.

Reactions: fz0976

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Buttonwillow has fresh pavement, and all i hear is great things about it. It next on my list of track day events. Let me know if anyone on here planning on going.

Here's a video of an R1 chasing an FZ-09 on the new tarmac

1 - 8 of 8 Posts