Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched for some common, "normal" noises associated with this bike but have come up empty. I am coming off a shaft driven cruiser and I am unsure about noises the bike makes.

1. When driving next to a car or barrier I can hear what's best described as 'shhhhhhhhhh' I think this is the chain, but not 100% sure
2. I also hear a noise coming from the front near the road level that sounds sort of like a tick, but not. I am thinking this is the tire, seeing a s they are much grippier than my cruiser's.
3. Last thing, more feel related. Around 4k rpms I notice an increase in vibration. Now, I haven't been above 5500rpms yet as the bike only has 150 miles on it. Is that normal?

Thanks for any insight. Feels like when I first bought a turbo charged car and being ignorant of what was normal vs what I thought was something wrong.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have searched for some common, "normal" noises associated with this bike but have come up empty. I am coming off a shaft driven cruiser and I am unsure about noises the bike makes.

1. When driving next to a car or barrier I can hear what's best described as 'shhhhhhhhhh' I think this is the chain, but not 100% sure
2. I also hear a noise coming from the front near the road level that sounds sort of like a tick, but not. I am thinking this is the tire, seeing a s they are much grippier than my cruiser's.
3. Last thing, more feel related. Around 4k rpms I notice an increase in vibration. Now, I haven't been above 5500rpms yet as the bike only has 150 miles on it. Is that normal?

Thanks for any insight. Feels like when I first bought a turbo charged car and being ignorant of what was normal vs what I thought was something wrong.
The ticking could be the cam chain tensioner.

Read about the issue here:

http://www.fz09.org/forum/34-yamaha-fz-09-common-problems-issues/448-i-got-tick.html

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, thought about the cct first, but sounds nothing like the videos I have seen.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
584 Posts
Every bike I have had, I can say the motor had a unique sound unlike the other bikes I have had. Last June I bought at 2014 Honda CTX. At first I thought it sounded more like a muffled tractor. It's gone now because I wanted the FZ-09 when I heard about it. Before I got the FZ-09 I figured it would be smooth and quiet since I had mostly old bikes. Well, it is smooth. I do think the motor is noisy but then again it is not covered up in plastic panels too. I just chalk it up to it sounds the way it does because it does. The often mentioned clutch noise (lever pulled) and whine in 3rd and 6th. The tick I am still listening for but don't believe I hear it yet. Now with 3811 miles it has not self destructed and I have no paranoia thinking it will (not that new owners are ever paranoid). IMHO

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Where are you located? Maybe someone else in the area that has an FZ could listen to your bike and ease your mind.......or......let you know that something is amiss.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I can say for myself (being mechanically inclined) after reading a lot of these noise threads I became overly critical of the noises and feelings the bike produces.

This bike has some unique sounds I think just because it's a triple and I've only ever ridden a v twin. It whines and feels different in higher gears.

Travis has a YouTube video highlight the cct noise (it sounds like you've probably already seen it) - my bike has a different noise with the clutch engaged vs disengaged but no constant tick. Pretty sure that's normal but going to ask the dealer about it when I take it in for its first service in 2 weeks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This just about sums it up...

That was great :D

Thank you for the replies. Like I said, just trying to keep paranoia at bay. Happens with all my new vehicles for the first few thousand miles. I have ordered the CCT kit just to be proactive though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but every Yamaha I've ever owned has had a slightly noisy valvetrain. I've had everything from motocross bikes to an R1 and they all had their own unique valve noises. The R1 was the most prominent, but was completely normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts