Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So while I'm sitting here with a small but growing pile of parts, I wanted to start this thread a bit preemptively to talk about some things I'm planning on doing that it would appear nobody else has done yet. I love the mechanically for the most part, but there's some stuff that I've been nitpicking that's really starting to annoy me - minor issues for sure, but annoyances all the same.

First, the turn signal switch. Maybe I just got a weak spring on mine, but with gloves on I can barely feel any resistance at all when I toggle left or right. It feels really light and flimsy. I want to take it apart and put in a stronger spring, different switch, something. I also don't really like the thin "blade" style of switch for the part that actually contacts your glove. I've been looking for wrecked GSXRs, R6s, etc that I can salvage a handlebar control from to try swapping out the switches.

Second, a garage door duplicator. For the US at least, we have an empty spot on the left thumb controls that's right above the horn. On my bike, it's just a plug. I'm going to try and dismantle a keychain universal garage door duplicator/signal cloner and wire up a button to that blank spot above the horn. Inconspicuous, OEM looking, etc. I'm honestly kind of surprised no motorcycle manufacturer has implemented that as a feature in any of their bikes yet, particularly Ducati/Aprilia. Harley makes one you can mount on your bars further inside your controls, but it's still an additional reach you need to reposition your hand for as opposed to integrating with stuff that's already there. Shouldn't be too hard I don't think. I just don't want to mess with the "flash to pass" mod like most have done.

Third nitpick is the ignition switch itself. I'm not sure if I'll even be able to do anything to raise it up higher, but as it is it's a bit of a PITA to insert my key and turn it while seated on the bike. I don't know that I want to even go through the trouble of relocating it, so I may just end up leaving it and adding a secondary switch.

Fourth nitpick is the throttle tube. It's got way too much slack for my liking and will probably receive at least a washer or two to tighten things up.

Aside from those, I have Rizoma Action turn signals on the way, Graves eliminator, Rizoma tail light, Puig sport smoked windscreen, and ASV short levers coming. Haven't decided on the exhaust yet, as the Akrapovic is the only one I like the look of and I'm not yet willing to spend the money on it.

So, that's a heads up for what's to come. Stay tuned, but this probably won't be completely done for another month or so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check out the IXIL Hyperlow L3X, I had my head in the akra titanium for a while. But after seeing it in person and hearing it I realized it wasn't all that. Not sure if its urban myth or not but some people say they've bottomed it out on curbs. Which is where I do my maintenance living in an apt. I'll be posting it later in my build thread today.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm looking at the Akrapovic carbon and stainless exhaust instead of the titanium one. There are good ECU flashes designed for this exhaust, I really like the sound howling down the road, and I'll take my chances with curbs. That's the setup that Nick from Stoltec runs (he designed the ECU flash in question). Check out this video and listen to the sound of that thing. Don't mind the crash at the end! Hah!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything's here except for the damn ASV brake lever. Out of stock everywhere including ASV. One place that has a couple left wants $40 more than Amazon's charging. Asked em about a military discount and they said they're not allowed to sell ASV products for anything less than ASV's MSRP of $125/lever...except they were charging $132 for a lever. Amazon had it listed for $92.

Guess I'll just do everything else. Building will commence this weekend!

·
Registered
190 Posts
You can consider putting a R1 master cylinder on the bike in that case! Sure, you'd need new brake lines, but again you can turn to the Stoltec project bike build for all that information. You can certainly find an ASV lever for one of those! In fact, I'd hold off on the brake lever until you have had a chance to research exactly which front brake cylinder you may want to use. The levers aren't cross-compatible.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First overview pics - before + after. I'll have to take the bike back apart and take some better pictures of how I did the wiring if you guys want but it's nothing too special.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Done (for now, didn't do the levers yet):

I'll take some better/more scenic pics later.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Overall I'm very happy with how the Rizoma lights turned out. The tail light I'm a bit unsure on the angle - it doesn't appear to be level for a driver behind me - but is still very bright and easy to see. Also, it should sag down a little with me on the bike so I think it'll be ok. The Rizoma Action turn signals - holy hell they're bright. You can see them from a very wide field of view both in front and behind, and there's no missing them. Much brighter than stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts