Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wsup everyone! New member from Daly City Ca (right outside San Francisco). This is my first post and my first time ever joining a forum. Just picked up my new 2015 in matte gray on 11/5 and I'm in loooove. Thanks to all you guys for all the info on this forum . i have been a lurker for a while now. Ive been drooling over the Fz09 ever since it was first announced and saw it at the Progressive Motorcycle show in San Mateo last year but i have a thing about buying anything when its the first year in a new model so i waited till the 2015 came out. Did the same thing with my 2012 dodge charger. IDK maybe i feel like they always have bugs to work out.

This is my second bike and i am saying goodbye to my first love, a 2008 Ninja 650r. i put about 12k miles on her. This bike is the perfect upgrade from that bike. Virtually the same riding style but the FZ09 is sooooo much better in every single way. So some of the major gripes people were having with the 9 i do not even notice because i am upgrading in every aspect of the motorcycle. The 2015's also have the ecu's flashed and i have no problems with the fueling. But i did not ride the 2013 so i have no comparisons.

Purchased the bike from Grand Prix in Santa Clara for full msrp $8199 plus their BS fees. First time EVER doin that. But these bikes are hard to come by in the bay area and they have been selling as soon as they hit the sales floor. Plus here in CA we have riding season pretty much year round so even though winter is nearing people are still buying bikes. In fact the dealer let me leave my "old" bike there so i could take my new baby home and today i went back to get the Ninja and there were 2 different customers there looking for a FZ09. in fact the salesman pointed to me when i walked in and said "he's the one the bought it." and the 2 guys just looked at me jealously and asked me a bunch of questions. One of the guys even rides the naked version of my bike, ER6N.

Anyways the bike is completely stock right now but i have an R & G tail tidy and a MRA windscreen on the way. i do mostly freeway from daly city to sf and it gets WINDY at 80mph. Very interested in the M4 slip-on but it is really hard to tell how loud it is. I don't want to be obnoxious but i want there to be sound. lol the bike is quiet. If anyone can chime in on the M4 please let me know how you like it. Also are there any other suggested mods??

Attachments

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your bike! I'm in Fairfield but commute into SF everyday. See you around!

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new FZ.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Cheers and great color. I came from your other cousin bike, Versys....and I live in Seattle. My mother's family is from the Bay area, so I spent my summers there for a time, and know Daly City. Congrats on the Giants by the way. First game I ever went to, in the 60's, was at the 'stick. Sorry we're gonna be rivals, NFL wise, but great to have you here. Nice to hear most new bikes are not as finicky fueling wise. Saves you from having to flash the ecu. Ride safe, Greg.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers and great color. I came from your other cousin bike, Versys....and I live in Seattle. My mother's family is from the Bay area, so I spent my summers there for a time, and know Daly City. Congrats on the Giants by the way. First game I ever went to, in the 60's, was at the 'stick. Sorry we're gonna be rivals, NFL wise, but great to have you here. Nice to hear most new bikes are not as finicky fueling wise. Saves you from having to flash the ecu. Ride safe, Greg.
Yes I miss the stick! Had season tix from 2010-2013/14 season. 4th row on the 45yd line. I hate that they took my hometown team to Santa Clara. Seattle fan huh? It ok I have Marshawn Lynch on my fantasy team. GO NINERS!!

Welcome and congrats! Fz09 is a perfect Bay Area machine!

Thank you. Yes I love the Bay Area. Born and raised. Lots of places to ride around here

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your bike! I'm in Fairfield but commute into SF everyday. See you around!

Thanks. Do u ride your fz09 in?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I have done quite a few mods to my FZ09 and I am just down in San Jose so you are welcome to ask or even come over and I will help with mods and generally pass on what I have learned so far.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I do. I actually split time between the Yammie and the Suzuki...
Pretty sure I've seen you split past me on i80 in the morning. There is only one grey fz-09 that I see in the 7:30-7:45 time frame around Pinole. I'm normally stuck in the cage taking my kid to school. Crusty old blue range rover.

Maybe its time to try another bay area ride/pizza lunch get together.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Congrats on the new FZ, you're gonna love it.
As far as the M4 exhaust if you don't get an answer here, look at YouTube, there's a variety of exhausts and you can heard them all. The FZ is pretty quiet, I'm saving for the Akra with DB, still makes noise but not annoying.
Also, get some frame sliders and save that FZ.

GO NINERS!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Blazing Orange SF'er checking in. Highly recommend the techspec tank grips. I also put ASV shorty levers, Akra carbon, and a few other bits. Thinking of selling my PC5 and just doing a reflash if anyone wants it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to the forum.

I have done quite a few mods to my FZ09 and I am just down in San Jose so you are welcome to ask or even come over and I will help with mods and generally pass on what I have learned so far.
That would be awesome! I will probably be doing my 600mile service in a few weeks down at Grand Prix in Santa Clara. Maybe we can meet up somewhere down there so I can check out your beast.

I do. I actually split time between the Yammie and the Suzuki...
Cool, ride safe. Watchout for the idiots. Seems like that commute is tough on 2 wheeled commuters. My coworker got his rear wheel clipped by a car coming into the city last month. Broke both his feet. Scary

Congrats on the new FZ, you're gonna love it.
As far as the M4 exhaust if you don't get an answer here, look at YouTube, there's a variety of exhausts and you can heard them all. The FZ is pretty quiet, I'm saving for the Akra with DB, still makes noise but not annoying.
Also, get some frame sliders and save that FZ.

GO NINERS!!!
The bike is very quiet. I did get some intel from the fz09 builds threads. Seems that people like em. I will probably be ordering one soon. Are all frame sliders pretty much the same?? Did not put any on my ninja 650. GO NINERS!!!!!!!

Not cheap but the Penske 8983 and GP cartridges totally transform this bike into something extra special.

I am gonna have to google these. I have no idea what there are. Lol. Thanks tho

Blazing Orange SF'er checking in. Highly recommend the techspec tank grips. I also put ASV shorty levers, Akra carbon, and a few other bits. Thinking of selling my PC5 and just doing a reflash if anyone wants it.

I love that Blazing SF giant orange. If I were to have gotten a '14, that would have been it! I will also look up the techspec tank grips. Sounds like a beauty u got there!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not cheap but the Penske 8983 and GP cartridges totally transform this bike into something extra special.
Ok googled them. Lol. Looks like a beautiful shock. Would u say its worth the price? Have you any experience with any other cheaper options????

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Pretty sure I've seen you split past me on i80 in the morning. There is only one grey fz-09 that I see in the 7:30-7:45 time frame around Pinole. I'm normally stuck in the cage taking my kid to school. Crusty old blue range rover.

Maybe its time to try another bay area ride/pizza lunch get together.
Yeah that's probably me. If I'm not on the 09, I'll be on a burgundy SV. I'll keep a look out for your RR.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Cool, ride safe. Watchout for the idiots. Seems like that commute is tough on 2 wheeled commuters. My coworker got his rear wheel clipped by a car coming into the city last month. Broke both his feet. Scary
That's horrible news about your coworker. Definitely have to be careful...I've had a few close calls. Just have to look at it like everyone is out to kill you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's horrible news about your coworker. Definitely have to be careful...I've had a few close calls. Just have to look at it like everyone is out to kill you.
Yes I agree. Being a relatively new rider the best advice I was given was to ride like your invisible. But yes everyone is trying to kill u too. Lol. Have also had my fair share of scares and I only commute from Daly City to downtown. People will come right into your lane while you are right next to them/passing them all the time. My scariest moment was actually on the street when a car with a stop sign, me with no stop, and he just goes. I had to gun it around him while he almost broadsided me. A USPS truck

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok googled them. Lol. Looks like a beautiful shock. Would u say its worth the price? Have you any experience with any other cheaper options????
I started with an '08 Kawasaki ZX-10 shock that I bought for around $60 off eBay. Then I upgraded springs and oil but eventually splurged and bought the GP cartridges and Penske double clicker. There was a big improvement with the better springs and ZX-10 shock but the ride was still lacking what I was looking for. Now, my bike handles amazing and rides like its on rails. With these upgrades, the rest of the bike now matches the performance of the motor. Yes, the suspension costs around 2K but I have no regrets especially considering what a bargain the FZ is to start with. Still pretty cheap when you consider the level of performance, but more importantly, the level of fun with this package.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I started with an '08 Kawasaki ZX-10 shock that I bought for around $60 off eBay. Then I upgraded springs and oil but eventually splurged and bought the GP cartridges and Penske double clicker. There was a big improvement with the better springs and ZX-10 shock but the ride was still lacking what I was looking for. Now, my bike handles amazing and rides like its on rails. With these upgrades, the rest of the bike now matches the performance of the motor. Yes, the suspension costs around 2K but I have no regrets especially considering what a bargain the FZ is to start with. Still pretty cheap when you consider the level of performance, but more importantly, the level of fun with this package.

Sounds like an awesome setup you got there. Thanks for sharing. I think I am going to put a few miles on her before I pull the trigger on any major upgrades and see what direction I really want the bike. YES I agree the bike is an amazing value. Especially when compared to other bikes that are $2000/$3000 more. For now I will be doin some small mods-fender eliminator, windscreen, exhaust. I gonna read up on this site in brake upgrades too

Ride on

·
Registered
166 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on the new bike. San Pablo CA checking in. Would you ride with me even though i am a raider As fan? LOL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts