Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm finally ready to do something to my bike. I would like to change the stock levers out for some black ones. There was a thread about this but people were ordering "shorty" ones. I use four fingers (MSF style) so the shorty ones wouldn't be ideal. Has anyone replaced the OEM ones for black ones that are around the same size? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
If you just want to change the color you might try Plasti Dip. Amazon.com: Performix 11203 Plasti Dip Black Multi-Purpose Rubber Coating Aerosol - 11 oz.: Automotive

Edit Since my original post I've used Plasti Dip for other stuff on the bike, now I do not recommend it for the levers. I don't think it will wear well there and is a bit too grippy.

Or there are these: Levers Set SHORTY - STANDARD LENGTH Adjustable Foldable YAMAHA YZF/R1/R6/FZ/FZ09/FJR/XJ/MT/R6S/V-Max/Supertenere, 6 Color Options - Mad Hornets

For both levers you can adjust the length and distance from the grip.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think I'm finally ready to do something to my bike. I would like to change the stock levers out for some black ones. There was a thread about this but people were ordering "shorty" ones. I use four fingers (MSF style) so the shorty ones wouldn't be ideal. Has anyone replaced the OEM ones for black ones that are around the same size? Thanks!
I replaced the stocks with a set of ebay regular length levers. I am not a fan of shorty style levers. Black, with blue adjusters. 25 bucks US shipped. All fit perfect except for the area that the front brake switch activates on had too much meat, meaning the brake light switch wasnt activating until the lever was hard pulled in. A few minutes of filing/grinding/sanding.......all good.

A Pair CNC Brake Clutch Levers Yamaha MT 09 SR FZ9 2014 | eBay

·
Registered
127 Posts
I believe most of the big name lever manufacturers offer short or standard lengths. I seem to remember one even offered a mid length.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I put standard-length CRGs on my Hawk GT and like them very much, I don't think I would have been happy with the limited finger positioning the shorties impose.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have small hands and the Mad Hornets shorty can fit 3 fingers on it comfortably. Pinkies up!

Reactions: Fizzerpilot

·
Registered
142 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
spend the cash and get a good brand of lever - i love my pazzos albeit they are shorties - ASV, CRG, fp racing are also good. They do make long levers and you can also order long and short (if you want a long clutch and short brake or vice versa).

https://www.motomummy.com/controls/ is a good source for various levers - and they are all super easy to install. Just remember when putting the clutch lever back on to not over-tighten the bolt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts