Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first of all; I'm well aware that this is not the appropriate venue for legal advice, but I'm working towards tracking down a local lawyer to speak with and it's just taking time. And I'm at my wits end with it all and the impatience is killing me so consider this a vent session at worst.

Long story short my now ex-gf was arrested for domestic battery on 11/18. At the hearing the next day I entered a "no future contact" plea and so I threw out a 3rd party name who could come get her things (a friend of hers I trusted not to steal/break anything if allowed in my house). My question is in regards to her animals. Right now she has 7 dogs in my basement I'm caring for and I have my 1 personal... The legal limit in my city is 4 pets per household; so we have 8 total (don't ask...).

I'm not trying to be an ass by any means, but there seems to be no urgency on her end to resolve the dog issue. I've got my own tentative thanksgiving travel plans as well as work travels coming up, and I'd be lying if I said i didn't think she was purposefully pawning them off on me so that I cannot leave the house for more than half a day or so. I know the dogs are chipped to her/the rescue she's fostering for so I have no doubts that if I turn them over to animal control that they will contact her to retrieve them, but my fear is opening myself up to a lawsuit from her. Sueing me or some such.

Idk, just driving myself a bit mad with over thinking it all.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would let her know that she has 2 or 3 days, or whatever time frame you decide, to retrieve her dogs or they will be turned over to animal control. Since legally they belong to her I dont see how you could be setting yourself up for any action from her end.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called animal control and they said they couldn't comment on the situation.

my fear is that the court has ordered her to stay off the property so she "can't" come get them. If I turn over to animal control/a local shelter I'm fearful that she'll be able to sue or something for me trying to get rid of her stuff without letting her try. I've read animals are considered abandoned after 10 days, so I'm thinking after 10 days I'm all clear. But... 3 or 4 days would be more ideal lol.

Plus... I feel animal control could be considered that "neutral party" as they should scan their chips and contact her immediately to come get them if she wants.

·
Registered
59 Posts
my fear is that the court has ordered her to stay off the property
And off the property she will be.
She's been given notice, just like for her other possessions, and a trusted 3rd party handled it.
The same 3rd party can also take the other possessions (dogs.)
If no arrangements are made to collect, then they're abandoned as far as you're concerned.

Please find a "no-kill" shelter and arrange transport if that's how you need to do it.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
So first of all; I'm well aware that this is not the appropriate venue for legal advice, but I'm working towards tracking down a local lawyer to speak with and it's just taking time. And I'm at my wits end with it all and the impatience is killing me so consider this a vent session at worst.

Long story short my now ex-gf was arrested for domestic battery on 11/18. At the hearing the next day I entered a "no future contact" plea and so I threw out a 3rd party name who could come get her things (a friend of hers I trusted not to steal/break anything if allowed in my house). My question is in regards to her animals. Right now she has 7 dogs in my basement I'm caring for and I have my 1 personal... The legal limit in my city is 4 pets per household; so we have 8 total (don't ask...).

I'm not trying to be an ass by any means, but there seems to be no urgency on her end to resolve the dog issue. I've got my own tentative thanksgiving travel plans as well as work travels coming up, and I'd be lying if I said i didn't think she was purposefully pawning them off on me so that I cannot leave the house for more than half a day or so. I know the dogs are chipped to her/the rescue she's fostering for so I have no doubts that if I turn them over to animal control that they will contact her to retrieve them, but my fear is opening myself up to a lawsuit from her. Sueing me or some such.

Idk, just driving myself a bit mad with over thinking it all.
The animals welfare comes first, if you can’t care for them and she won’t, call a dog rescue group or animal control. They can’t stay locked in a basement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts