Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember a while ago you guys were mentioning that there was so kind of issue where you bike was making some kind of chattering noise and there was a recall and you had something replaced. I rode my bike over to the Yamaha dealer and noticed this sound. I hadn't noticed it before. This is the second time I have had the bike out for the season. I have been revving the bike higher in the lower gears, which I had not done as much earlier. I don't think that would have affected it though.

Anyway, Yamaha has it now and is inspecting the bike and is doing the reflash and wiring harness. I have a feeling I should call them about the noise, but forgot what part had to be replaced. Thanks!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Depends, if it goes away with the clutch disengaged then it is just the clutch noise. I have heard it and wondered if it was the CCT as well, but pulling in the clutch even with revving makes the noise go away.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. CCT. I just did a search. I called Yamaha and asked them if they could ride it and listen to it. They are doing the other recalls. I remember that this was a bulletin, not a recall, but might as well check it out.
The bike rides fine and I don't have issues with it but I never noticed that noise before and I remember people here having an issue with it. They close at 3 and are likely going to have my bike for the week, so they will have time to look it over.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Adding the Ape Cct was undoubtedly The Best $85 item added to my '09. If I knew then what I know now I would've ordered it on Day One when I ordered the OES Frame Sliders and front LED Flush Indicators.:cool:

Reactions: Jen

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I got a call back (actually, I was out, my husband spoke with them). They are replacing the CCT and I'll get the bike next Saturday. Hopefully nobody will drop anything on it in the meantime :)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Adding the Ape Cct was undoubtedly The Best $85 item added to my '09. If I knew then what I know now I would've ordered it on Day One when I ordered the OES Frame Sliders and front LED Flush Indicators.:cool:
Is an Ape CCT different than the one Yamaha will replace it with? Does it make a difference?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Is an Ape CCT different than the one Yamaha will replace it with? Does it make a difference?
Ape is a manual adjuster vs the Yamaha is an auto tensioner. The ape has to be "calibrated" every so often but it's a long time in between when you have to do this.

The reason it's better over the Yamaha is that the Yamaha ccts are failing to auto tension - once they fail - the cct is junk. This won't happen with the APe

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I guess if this new CCT from Yamaha fails, I'll get one of those.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I was shocked at the POC the Yammy CCt was.....That's the moment I realized I wish I'd done the change to the Ape way back when I got the bike. In comparison to the Yamaha CCT, the Ape is a $500 part IMHO.

Yamaha should be embarrassed to still be using their CCT when the Ape is readily available.:cool:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Thanks. I guess if this new CCT from Yamaha fails, I'll get one of those.
They replaced mine for free. I have 4k on the new one and no issues. It's worth a shot. Some have had the second one fail but not all.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I can't remember when I had the original one replaced, but it was well under 1000 miles IIRC, and I've got approx. 5300 on the bike now with no issues on the second one.

Reactions: Jen and Steve101
1 - 12 of 12 Posts