Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Triumph's triples in the mid/late 90's were hard to beat. Daytona 900 Super III and Speed Triples (original T309 series) with Arrow or similar 3 into 1 exhaust were an incredible sounding machine. The next generation of T595/509 series could be equipped with an under seat exhaust from Black Widow that had a real nasty/mean/spitting ear assault when run through the gears. Triple are some of the best sounding bikes, period. Next, for me, would be gear driven cammed V4's....like the 86 Interceptor I owned with a full Yoshimura system. It sounded like a small block V8 with a blower.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ahhh I miss the VFR even today. Think I might get another. Anyone have a 99 VFR they want to get rid of cheap?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd say the sound of a ducati is like nothing else... absolutely love it... that being said, the fz does sound good. Just wish they didnt build the exhaust in such a way where a slipon would require cutting =(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since getting my nine back in April, one thing or another has stopped me riding it much - work, weather, Canada post and my ECU, etc etc. So during the downtime i naturally got to thinking about upgrades and the akra looks really nice.. I've ended up with a new can or full system on pretty much all my previous bikes so natural to put one on the FZ.

But today I had my first good long ride (oo-er missus) for what seems like weeks, and dammit this bike sounds amazing! Awesome intake noise, lovely deep but not boomy thrum from the exhaust, and just plain fantastic - even with some admittedly crappy (but good enough to temper wind noise) ear plugs in.

It sounds better as stock than any other bike i've ridden - hands down. And i'm struggling to think of any other bike even with mods that sounds better most of the time. There are certain circumstances - gsxr 1000 with the throttle whacked open at 5000rpm sounding like it's gargling 80-proof vodka and then spitting it out - in flames. Cbr 600 with arrow full system coming on cam at 10000rpm, tuono with open blue-flame can sitting at idle beating out a tune that makes me annoyed that the light has turned to green, and so on. But the standard FZ sounds great all the time. I'm struggling to think of any reason whatsoever to upgrade the pipes. Am I the only one?
I agree, cp3 sounds great w/stock exhaust. I was lucky enough to buy a '18 MT09 that had been taken directly from showroom floor to Performance Shop for it in additional $6k in "improvements". I hear suspension is still the biggest downfall. Riding on full K Tech suspension front and rear I wouldn't know what the stock suspension feels like. Of course mine has a full Yosh R77. With aftermarket exhaust, they just sound 100% bad ass. I have a feeling I would be slightly disappointed putting the stock boat anchor back on.:cry:(n)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Most awesome sound I get is from my 1974 Honda 350F 40cyl with Delkevic pipe, mostly because I hate to ride it WOT at readline pretty much anywhere :) But yes, CP3 sounds awesome with any exhaust.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,011 Posts
I dunno, the Ducati "L" twin is pretttty damn sexy sounding.
I’ve had lots of L-twins, and my favorite for sound had to be my air-cooled Hypermotard 1100 with a 2-1 Termi pipe on it. I also got a lot of compliments on my TL1000S race bike with a dual-muffler Two Bros. system.

In my memory, the best sounding bike I ever heard was Doug Polen’s Ferracci Ducati 851 superbike going around the high banking at Phx. Int’l Raceway. Holy cow, I can’t even describe the sound, almost like a WWII-era fighter plane doing a fly-by! 😳

21 - 29 of 29 Posts