Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since getting my nine back in April, one thing or another has stopped me riding it much - work, weather, Canada post and my ECU, etc etc. So during the downtime i naturally got to thinking about upgrades and the akra looks really nice.. I've ended up with a new can or full system on pretty much all my previous bikes so natural to put one on the FZ.

But today I had my first good long ride (oo-er missus) for what seems like weeks, and dammit this bike sounds amazing! Awesome intake noise, lovely deep but not boomy thrum from the exhaust, and just plain fantastic - even with some admittedly crappy (but good enough to temper wind noise) ear plugs in.

It sounds better as stock than any other bike i've ridden - hands down. And i'm struggling to think of any other bike even with mods that sounds better most of the time. There are certain circumstances - gsxr 1000 with the throttle whacked open at 5000rpm sounding like it's gargling 80-proof vodka and then spitting it out - in flames. Cbr 600 with arrow full system coming on cam at 10000rpm, tuono with open blue-flame can sitting at idle beating out a tune that makes me annoyed that the light has turned to green, and so on. But the standard FZ sounds great all the time. I'm struggling to think of any reason whatsoever to upgrade the pipes. Am I the only one?

·
Registered
555 Posts
No. I love the sound of this stock exhaust, just wish it was that tiny bit louder. Awesome note that comes from this engine.

The only other bike I think has a better stock sound than the 09 would be the Daytona 675. That bike sounds very, very nice when giving it a stab. One of my favorite sounds.

Maybe I am just partial to triple cylinder sound lol.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I haven't had a chance to really get to hear this thing wide open. After the CCT kit it does sound a lot nicer. But, I will say that I miss my R1 with full graves sound sometimes. The smile on my face the first time I heard mine was...hard to replicate?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The triple sounds really nice and distinctive. It is pure sex. Although I do love the noise inlines four supersports make too.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I like the stock 09 sound, way better than an i4, will be keeping the stock exhaust, don't like loud street bikes anyway. But I still love a 90 degree v twin sport engine.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Aprilia RSV4 or Tuono, hands down great sounding bikes even stock. The RSV with a pipe is my all time favorite, miss mine sometimes but the headaches of ownership was not worth it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I personally will always be a V-twin fan... Love the sound of Can Am's Rotax motors over my Polaris inline twin. I like the sound of Ducati's (although that's an L-twin), Buells and even my SV over my 09. However, I like the sound of the 09 better than any inline 4 I've heard. I just like a deeper, throatier sound. The Arrow helps tremendously, and I am very happy now.

I think THE best/craziest sounding bike I heard is the Aprilia Tuono V4. That motor with an aftermarket exhaust (not sure what system it was) sounded like NASCAR flying down the road. Loved it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hard to beat the Aprilia. I liked my 750 honda VFR with the geared cam drive too. Kind of a turbine whine added to the exhaust sound.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I agree-even with the restrictions of the stock catalyst and can it sounds amazing for a stock bike. Get on it in 2nd gear, low rpm and to me it sounds similar to the old air cooled 911's-at least from the riders seat...

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I wear custom earmolds, and today I turned my music off just so that I could get into the sound of my Arrow exhaust. It sound like my old VFR800 with a Vance & Hinds pipe sounded. Purely intoxicating. It is like a V engine on steroids.

·
Registered
218 Posts
No. I love the sound of this stock exhaust, just wish it was that tiny bit louder. Awesome note that comes from this engine.

The only other bike I think has a better stock sound than the 09 would be the Daytona 675. That bike sounds very, very nice when giving it a stab. One of my favorite sounds.

Maybe I am just partial to triple cylinder sound lol.
I LOVE the sound of my friend's Daytona. The straight cut gears just add to the awesome noise. But just like the 09 it needs to be a little louder.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Among street bikes, I would say the VFRs w/gear-driven cams reign supreme. Marvelous combination of gear whine and small-block Chevy V8 rumble & roar when you nail the throttle.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Lots of good sounds here! As far as stock goes, I think the FZ-09 does sound great. Best I have heard,but I have not been around any VFRs. Most bikes I have owned have had at least a aftermarket can. The bike I traded in for my FZ was a Suzuki Bandit 1250. Stock, with a huge muffler, it sounded like a sewing machine. A sewing machine with 80ftlb of torque at 3700rpms, but almost silent. Add a Holeshot header and a Yosh R-77 can and she sang a tune that was music to my ears. But stock, I am with you, the FZ-09 does have a great tone. Some others that sounded great to me were my 86 GSXR750 with a Supertrapp system and my VTR1000 with TBR cans (v-twin). To each their own though everybody has different tastes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Lots of good sounds here! As far as stock goes, I think the FZ-09 does sound great. Best I have heard,but I have not been around any VFRs. Most bikes I have owned have had at least a aftermarket can. The bike I traded in for my FZ was a Suzuki Bandit 1250. Stock, with a huge muffler, it sounded like a sewing machine. A sewing machine with 80ftlb of torque at 3700rpms, but almost silent. Add a Holeshot header and a Yosh R-77 can and she sang a tune that was music to my ears. But stock, I am with you, the FZ-09 does have a great tone. Some others that sounded great to me were my 86 GSXR750 with a Supertrapp system and my VTR1000 with TBR cans (v-twin). To each their own though everybody has different tastes.
Yeah, Broncsrule, my 1200 Bandit with Holeshot exhaust and other Holeshot mods does sound great.
But the best sound that I remember (memories fade a little with age and your memories may be exaggerated), were the several 250 and 305 Honda Scramblers I had during the mid to late '60's. We used "Snuffernots" in the pipes after sawing the muffler off. We even competed in 100 mile enduro's with those beasts! Indestructible machines! But what a sound at 11,000!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The '09 does sound amazing. One thing; is it normal for it to sound a bit like a Jetsons car at idle? Has this whine-ish noise. I know the whine is 3rd and 6th is normal for straight cut gears, I like that sound.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Among street bikes, I would say the VFRs w/gear-driven cams reign supreme. Marvelous combination of gear whine and small-block Chevy V8 rumble & roar when you nail the throttle.
I had an 86 VFR400R. It had the cam gear train and single sided swing arm. It sounds really cool. VFR's are a proud breed.

This is a start up vid and rev to 5k.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts