·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Lol brilliant.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's hard to imagine anyone starting on a bike that is claimed to be a "torque monster" and "wheelie machine."

Use your heads when you get your first bike, get something that will be forgiving if you put in too much input, either on your throttle or brakes. Either one will **** you in a heartbeat on a sportbike.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
everyone wants more power because they think they can handle it. Then they get on the bike and the next thing they know, it's wrapped around a tree or sliding down a highway.

Check your ego at the door and save the skin on your ass - get something with less power - there are very few success stories of people buying powerful bikes and never crashing them - not saying there aren't any but statistics are not in your favor on this one.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Further to this, it would be nice to stop seeing posts where people claim the bike is hard to control, jerky at low speed, has too much torque, etc...

The reality is that this bike is incredibly fun and ride-able, if you're having a hard time with the bike, the fault is with you and not the FZ-09!

·
Registered
885 Posts
If someone stickies this to the top we won't be asked this ten times per week.
Vern already has a sticky about searching before starting a new thread, so another one will be equally effective. Or ineffective. There are too many stickies already. I prefer to see new duplicate threads moved and appended to existing threads of the same topic, which has already happened a few times.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The reality is that this bike is incredibly fun and ride-able, if you're having a hard time with the bike, the fault is with you and not the FZ-09!
Hey, I'm really get sick of doing wheelies all the time.

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've got 35 years of experience with bike's.
Yesterday the MT wanted to flip me of. She looked like a wild horse with ADHD.
Even when you have lots of xperience. Watch out with this hooligan!!!!!

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everyone and I mean everyone should start off on dirtbikes. In the dirt. While there are street skills that have to be learned, especially having to do with safety with other cars, most everything else should be learned in the dirt. Throttle control, sliding on purpose, what to do when you lose traction, how to wheelie, everything that you learn on a dirt bike gets you ready for street.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Should I change the suspension on this bike?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
885 Posts
Everyone and I mean everyone should start off on dirtbikes. In the dirt. While there are street skills that have to be learned, especially having to do with safety with other cars, most everything else should be learned in the dirt. Throttle control, sliding on purpose, what to do when you lose traction, how to wheelie, everything that you learn on a dirt bike gets you ready for street.
Agreed.

·
Registered
584 Posts
didn't Yamaha computer limit it's top speed just for the beginners.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm gonna bump this thread as a public service, every day. At this price point, alot of newbs who should be looking at 250 or 400 cc enduros will be considering this bike.

The DRZ-400 is a great bike to learn on and own. Own forever cause they can and do go anywhere, you can ride em to trails and up mountain trails. They also have just enough power to learn on but not enough to loop the bike over if you give it too much throttle. They are also cheap and all over the place, one of the most produced bikes ever and there are tons of accessories.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also, if you are a new rider and take my advice and get an enduro, put some good knobs on it. A secret among dirtbikers is that the Pirelli MT-43 is a dot rear Trials tire that works wonders on everything off road except for mud and deep sand. Put a regular knobbie on the front, and go ride to a dirt road or ATV trail. Practice riding in the dirt, and around corners. Wreck a few times, you will, and then get up and laugh. then when you get comfortable start working your way up to single track trails. Start practicing turning in the dirt by twisting the throttle, instead of steering and counter steering. You can take corners with your knees and your wrist, and these are very valuable skills to have. Also begin to practice riding while standing, on the pegs. You might even want to buy some larger pegs. Riding on pegs and standing on pegs is also very important to learn, it teaches you balance and how to turn with your body. It also teaches you great throttle control.

Alot of motorcycle deaths on the road are single rider accidents with no cars involved. Alot of these are due to gravel and traction. Alot of guys just don't know what tp do when they hit patches of gravel or gravel in the road in corners, freak out, hit the brakes in a corner, lose traction and right straight off into the trees. It should be law that all new riders should start in the dirt.

After a good season riding trails, you will fear no corner or road terrain.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
As you probably already know most new riders are young men. When they post here they will look for the posts that provide encouragement and ignore the ones that suggest to start on a 250 or 400 even though that is the way to go.

Very few 20 year old guys have the restraint necessary to handle a bike like the FZ-09 but they still firmly believe they are the exception. It will be all the other guys that crash and not them. There are plenty of 50 or 60 year old guys (especially on this forum) that have trouble restraining themselves on this bike. A 20 year old male with twice the testosterone has virtually no chance.

I don't know if I would still be here if I started out on an FZ-09. It would have, at the very least, cost me my license.
well put...but this is why natural selection exists.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.