Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 MT09.
Hi. Advice appreciated.
Bought my MT second hand and it only came with one key and no numbers. I am really hoping that this does not mean I will need a new ECU to have a spare key?

·
Registered
660 Posts
See your dealer... but it will probably cost you heaps.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
I believe it does mean a new ECU. I was told to make sure I got the red key when I bought mine.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
It's the one that isn't black.

Seriously, it's the key needed for coding spares.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,308 Posts
I believe that’s a non-US model thing. We don’t have that. You lot have immobilizers fitted from the factory?

·
Registered
660 Posts
The following info is in the Owner's Manual for my Australian MT-09 SP. It appears that the red key (red bow) is indeed the - ahem! - key.

Office supplies Font Material property Handwriting Office equipment

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,308 Posts
So yeah, no immobilizers on US models. At least not pre-2021. Anyone know if the new one has it?

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
I believe that’s a non-US model thing. We don’t have that. You lot have immobilizers fitted from the factory?
Yep.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
If it is anything like my SDR it wouldn't be a new ECU. It'd be a new immobilizer system (much cheaper at least... I would imagine?), that'd need paired by a dealership.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
I was told new ECU, like good old Toyota.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
The US is all about cost. No immobiliser is cheaper.
Aus gets immobiliser and quickshifter standard.
QS is extra for the yanks.
Years ago when immobilisers first became standard here is aus it caught out a few streetfighter builders.
Buy a cheap bike from the auctions with no keys.
Discover it was $2500 for new ecu and key set made cheap bikes expensive.
Discover a US ecu will work makes a cheap bike cheap again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As long as you have one key a local locksmith will be able to clone one for you. I'm not sure if they can create a new red key though.
Red flashing light on dash normally means an immobiliser so a solid state chip in bedded in the key.
2018 MT09.
Hi. Advice appreciated.
Bought my MT second hand and it only came with one key and no numbers. I am really hoping that this does not mean I will need a new ECU to have a spare key?
Thx all.. I get the feeling I'm gonna get a big bill.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts