Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my bike and had to ride the interstate for 30 minutes on the way back. It doesn't pull hard at all from 65mph up and almost feels like it could be missing a bit. I'm used to super sports and that could be it but I thought I'd feel the tq. even at highway speeds due to the rpms still being in mid range. From 25mph I can smash the throttle, go through the gears and the front end gets lighter but that's about all. I am 240lbs but still...
Any other bigger guys have this issue or anyone notice a slight "missing" feeling w the engine? I expected way more from a 900cc class bike.
I seen where novice riders where afraid of the tq these bikes have and going as far as going to a FZ07, I'm just not seeing that w this bike.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The first suggestion would be to see if it was in B mode and if that's not the case, I'd recommend taking it to a shop.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
What's the back story did you buy it brand new or used how many miles?

That doesn't sound right one of the best things these 09 has is gobs of torque. I'm around 200 lbs with gear on maybe a little more .
My bike is a 17" 09 4K miles and it pulls really hard from any speed and rpm. I've had few V twin 1000s and this one I think pulls harder then they did .

I can see the extea 40lbs could make a difference , sounds like a question for someone your size or that had riding with a passenger .

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just saw your other post so you bought it used ok so did test ride it before you bought it.

Or have you test ridding any other 09 before you rode this one or maybe a buddies bike?

I would recommending to find another 09 maybe used one at a dealer that you can compare with.

If N/A then I would compression test
The bike maybe get some new plugs while you at it.

Sounds like the guy changed the pipe
Did he map it also , depending what pipe and what configuration he did will determine mapping or not.

From what I understand you can potentially hurt the motor if not done correctly these bikes are lean to start with . Not to alarm you but search around on here about different pipes and mapping you may get some better answers.

I'm new here and still learning as much as I can , alot of guys on here that have had these bikes a long time with lots of info maybe you'll get one to chime in.

You search on here more about that I've learned alot on here

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first suggestion would be to see if it was in B mode and if that's not the case, I'd recommend taking it to a shop.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
It did the same in Standard and A mode. Honestly I dont see any difference between modes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just saw your other post so you bought it used ok so did test ride it before you bought it.

Or have you test ridding any other 09 before you rode this one or maybe a buddies bike?

I would recommending to find another 09 maybe used one at a dealer that you can compare with.

Did he map it also , depending what pipe and what configuration he did will determine mapping or not.

From what I understand you can potentially hurt the motor if not done correctly these bikes are lean to start with . Not to alarm you but search around on here about different pipes and mapping you may get some better answers.

I'm new here and still learning as much as I can , alot of guys on here that have had these bikes a long time with lots of info maybe you'll get one to chime in.

Yes it's used (I'm the second owner) and has 6800 miles showing on the display. As far as the test ride goes I rode around on an in town type road. Was able to go through the gears shifting very early just to be sure there were no issues there and it pulled hard at lower speeds but not like I'm thinking it should. I maybe reached 55 or 60 so no way to tell where the bike stood at higher speeds. And the exhaust is just a slip on w the cat removed (no tune, was told that the ECU hasn't been touched) so I'm wondering if it could be an issue w back pressure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you tried down shifting ?
Yes. When on the highway I would downshift to see if it help. Didn't make much difference at 70 other than the spike in rpms. Even in 1st it's not wanting to power wheelie. Once I go into 2nd I dump the fuel to it and release the clutch to stand it up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes. When on the highway I would downshift to see if it help. Didn't make much difference at 70 other than the spike in rpms. Even in 1st it's not wanting to power wheelie. Once I go into 2nd I dump the fuel to it and release the clutch to stand it up.
Check the clutch, maybe it's been worn out. These fz09 bikes have power which you would feel if your bike was running right. My bike has no problem keeping up with my buddies gsxr 750, Ducati 848, or the other sportbikes. I could even say they have problems staying with me in the low to mid range. I'm 5'9 190lbs

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check the clutch, maybe it's been worn out. These fz09 bikes have power which you would feel if your bike was running right. My bike has no problem keeping up with my buddies gsxr 750, Ducati 848, or the other sportbikes. I could even say they have problems staying with me in the low to mid range. I'm 5'9 190lbs
I'll check it out. Noticed it ran over 220 the day I got it no matter how I rode it and it was high 70s out. I feel something is definitely up w it but haven't had time to really mess w it much. I'm always crushed for time w work and all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll check it out. Noticed it ran over 220 the day I got it no matter how I rode it and it was high 70s out. I feel something is definitely up w it but haven't had time to really mess w it much. I'm always crushed for time w work and all.
I'm really starting to think it has something to do w the cat being removed without any attention to the ECU.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I just replied something about it may have something to do w the cat being removed... it almost feels like the timing is off so I'm wondering if the afr is off now and the ecu is trying to correct itself

·
Registered
104 Posts
Have you tried down shifting ?
My MT09's happy place is above 5500rpm and of course the 09 is torgue city. This is a based on 3rd gear. Gear selection is important. I saw no mention of rpm and gear at 65mph. My 65mph cruise is 4th or 5th depending on my next plan of attack is. Either way hang on!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My MT09's happy place is above 5500rpm and of course the 09 is torgue city. This is a based on 3rd gear. Gear selection is important. I saw no mention of rpm and gear at 65mph. My 65mph cruise is 4th or 5th depending on my next plan of attack is. Either way hang on!
I've downshifted from 6th to 5th and from 5th to 4th. It feels like a timing or running lean issue so I'm going to either try to get the cat and stock exhaust from previous owner or try full exhaust and tune

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's mighty high for 70's ambient temps. I'd flush the cooling system as best you can and replace with Yami 50/50 coolant. I'd have to sit at a light for 10 minutes on a 99 degree day to see those temps then 190s on the run. Check the fan and sensor make sure it's kicking on and doing so when it's supposed to.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's mighty high for 70's ambient temps. I'd flush the cooling system as best you can and replace with Yami 50/50 coolant. I'd have to sit at a light for 10 minutes on a 99 degree day to see those temps then 190s on the run. Check the fan and sensor make sure it's kicking on and doing so when it's supposed to.
Will do. Thanks for the input

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
About this Discussion
83 Replies
23 Participants
HyperNakedPimp
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
We’re the largest Yamaha forum for owners and enthusiasts of the FZ-09 and MT-09. The site has thousands of topics covering performance and reliability, photos, videos and more!
Full Forum Listing