Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yamaha sent out its press release listing all the 2021 models that weren't updated this year, and there's a note saying the YZF-R6 is being "discontinued", along with the V-Max, WR250R, and S-Max scooter. I don't know if this is a temporary thing, or if the R6 is never coming back.

They did announce that there will be a track-ready R6 RACE for sale in Europe, but no mention of it coming here, just like the CBR600 track bike that Honda is offering.

I also noticed the 2021 XSR900 and 700 are unchanged for '21 - literally, they didn't even change the graphics! This could mean they are getting all the new stuff next year that the MT's got... OR maybe it means they are on their last leg, which would be a shame. Or it could also mean they are going to stay the same forever, like the SR500 and XT250 and the original FZR600. So who knows.

All this news does tend to boost my theory that they are going to create sport bikes out of the MT series. Having an "MT-R07" and "MT-R09" in the lineup, along with the R1, would be a pretty strong group.

·
Registered
255 Posts
What would an MT-R09 be? They already announced that the SP model will now be coming to North America so I can't see this happening. I don't see the XSRs staying outdated for long meaning they're either going to be discontinued or get an overhaul with the new offerings of the MT series updates. The death of the street legal track bikes doesn't really come as a big surprise to me. In Canada insurance premiums on those bikes just keep getting worse pushing riders towards other models like naked street bikes or fully faired street bikes like Ninja 650s etc. Also the ergonomics on all the 600s and litre bikes are aweful for any kind of long trips so why anyone would buy one for the street with no intention of taking them to the track is beyond me (also I'm guilty of this previously owning a zx6r that never saw the track). It's almost as though the motorcycle community is beginning to think with more logic and reason. Seems as though the market is buying more practical bikes for the intended use. It will be interesting to see the future of the motorcycle economy.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
There's reasons the market moved to nakeds and ADV's. We boomers getting less supple, traffic getting heavier, fewer places for balls out riding.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i doubt they will discontinue the r6. people love the r6 by the looks and by performance in the street and track. the r6 ergos are prefect for riders who do track days and weekend rides, which here in the usa are alot. in the usa people do not commute with their motorcycles unlike europe or asia or even afica. all motorcycles are a luxury toys in the usa. people in the usa love it for what it is. just look at the r6 forum there are a ton of people there. i think yamaha is skipping a year to redesign the r6 plus sinces most of the japanese 600 are dying yamaha does not really have a competition for the r6. they would be wise to stay in the 600 market and cash in the profits. it would be foolish to kill the r6 imo

i guess i was wrong they will kill this thing. r6 would be a classic for sure

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
People will ask for MT09 with the full fairing and clip one...
Bingo. But it doesn’t have to be a full-race crouch with Kentucky Derby rearsets. There can be a happy medium between “MotoGP bike“ and “bolt-upright with zero wind protection”. Anyway, I’ve hashed this out in other threads, so I’m not going to get into it again. We’ll see what happens...

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Revzilla is confirming the R6 is dead. Very surprised by that. They're also killing the VMax and WR250R.
And the S-Max scooter. Which is a real thing.

·
Registered
255 Posts
i doubt they will discontinue the r6. people love the r6 by the looks and by performance in the street and track. the r6 ergos are prefect for riders who do track days and weekend rides, which here in the usa are alot. in the usa people do not commute with their motorcycles unlike europe or asia or even afica. all motorcycles are a luxury toys in the usa. people in the usa love it for what it is. just look at the r6 forum there are a ton of people there. i think yamaha is skipping a year to redesign the r6 plus sinces most of the japanese 600 are dying yamaha does not really have a competition for the r6. they would be wise to stay in the 600 market and cash in the profits. it would be foolish to kill the r6 imo

i guess i was wrong they will kill this thing. r6 would be a classic for sure
It's a bit naive to think that Yamaha would keep a particular model just because of the sales in one country. Sure there are lots of guys who own R6s in the USA that ride them on the street and do track days but I highly doubt there is enough for Yamaha to "stay in the 600 market and cash in the profits". There are lots of things to consider like the total number of units sold, the neverending increase of emissions standards, staying competitive against other brands, etc.

Say Yamaha were to stay in the US market and drop europe for 600 sales, that would mean total number of units sold would drop significantly which would increase the cost of production. That gives Yamaha 1 of 2 options, lose profits on the sale of the R6 to stay competive against or brands or option 2, increase the cost of the R6 which would have a negative impact on sales.

Motorcycle press has been predicting the death of the 600s for awhile and it's not hard to see especially after this recent announcement. It'll be interesting to see how long Suzuki holds on for but they seem notorious for not dropping models on the cusp of death like the GSXR-750. Honda's 650 shares the motor between the CBR650r and CB650r naked street bike so that might hang around for a bit but is no longer a true 600 and the ZX-6r has the best ergonomics for street of the 600 market which has boosted it's sales.

600s were the beginner bikes for many because there once was a big hole in the motorcycle market between 250s and 600s but there are now so many great options like KTM 390, Ninja 400s, CB300 and CBR500. 600s are just useless on the streets because they lack low end power and by the time you get into the fun RPM you're destined to lose your license in 2nd gear alone with another 4 to spare. We can thank all the asshats who are out there on sportbikes running from cops for weekend entertainment as vehicles are government regulated so you know they'll be lobbying to get those bikes off the road. It's just a matter of time at this point but as we can see the wheel is already in motion.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's a bit naive to think that Yamaha would keep a particular model just because of the sales in one country. Sure there are lots of guys who own R6s in the USA that ride them on the street and do track days but I highly doubt there is enough for Yamaha to "stay in the 600 market and cash in the profits". There are lots of things to consider like the total number of units sold, the neverending increase of emissions standards, staying competitive against other brands, etc.

Say Yamaha were to stay in the US market and drop europe for 600 sales, that would mean total number of units sold would drop significantly which would increase the cost of production. That gives Yamaha 1 of 2 options, lose profits on the sale of the R6 to stay competive against or brands or option 2, increase the cost of the R6 which would have a negative impact on sales.

Motorcycle press has been predicting the death of the 600s for awhile and it's not hard to see especially after this recent announcement. It'll be interesting to see how long Suzuki holds on for but they seem notorious for not dropping models on the cusp of death like the GSXR-750. Honda's 650 shares the motor between the CBR650r and CB650r naked street bike so that might hang around for a bit but is no longer a true 600 and the ZX-6r has the best ergonomics for street of the 600 market which has boosted it's sales.

600s were the beginner bikes for many because there once was a big hole in the motorcycle market between 250s and 600s but there are now so many great options like KTM 390, Ninja 400s, CB300 and CBR500. 600s are just useless on the streets because they lack low end power and by the time you get into the fun RPM you're destined to lose your license in 2nd gear alone with another 4 to spare. We can thank all the asshats who are out there on sportbikes running from cops for weekend entertainment as vehicles are government regulated so you know they'll be lobbying to get those bikes off the road. It's just a matter of time at this point but as we can see the wheel is already in motion.

i still think the only reason yamaha is going to kill the r6 is the euro emissions. and there is still a market for a 600 sportbike and the zx6r and r6 are the only bikes people buy in that category even though the market is in the decline. and the r6 largely leads the sales. you'll make profit if you are the only option in the 600 sportbike class. street guys love the look of the r6 and track guys love the love and track focused performance of the r6. i hope yamaha usa would still offer a street version of the r6 along side the track version only for everyone else or maybe just europe. because Europeans like to be the leaders of environmental issues.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s not just EU5. Think about the new MT09. They just built an all new MT, with a new frame, new body, all kinds of electronics, and EU5 emissions, and it’s only $400 more than the old one. EU5 is not a model killer. There’s a lot more to it than that...

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
635 Posts
I agree there are other factors involved but emissions can always be the straw that broke the camel's back for any engine. Naked bikes like the mts are growing in popularity as we can no longer lean over as long like we did as kids. Cheaper insurance. No fairings to replace. I read in a Yamaha press release that one of their main factors was euro5 standards but the would continue to produce a race only version, it just wont be sold stateside....

·
Registered
271 Posts
i just hope yamaha gives us a R'triple with premium parts for killing the iconic r6. light weight engine internals with high revs, premium brakes and stainless steel braided lines, slipper clutch, top notch front and rear suspension and no electronic bullshit aids. all analog mechanical controls. they can take that fancy pancy electronics money and replace it with what i stated.

Reactions: Screan29
1 - 16 of 16 Posts