Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
I imagine it was a way to keep costs down to hit that impressively low MSRP that the bike carries. I think that this could also be something that they could market, as one of the last "Rider's bikes" before the MAN forces ABS onto the masses in 2016.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
I imagine it was a way to keep costs down to hit that impressively low MSRP that the bike carries. I think that this could also be something that they could market, as one of the last "Rider's bikes" before the MAN forces ABS onto the masses in 2016.
+1... Read something very similar about the FZ, concerning ABS and the future. Out of all the bikes I've owned, only my current R1200RT has had ABS. Really cool but costly to maintain and repair.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I like the fact that my bike does not have ABS. I think it is a bit more of a visceral feel to braking. I like to have control of the rear wheel with my foot and being able to let off a little to give some roll. It is amazing that you have that presence of mind in those milliseconds of evasive maneuvers to think about down shifting, letting out the clutch and getting OFF the brakes a hair.

Unfortunately, I have had a few close calls of drivers not paying any attention. I don't know if it was just Phoenix drivers or what, but it was kind of scary riding out there.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
mine has ABS
You have an Mt-09????

The MT-09's come with optional ABS, the FJ-09's have ABS and traction control, but no option for ABS on the North American FZ-09.

I know you can add traction control with the Bazzaz Z-Fi TC Traction + Quick Shift + Fuel Unit, but no idea how well it works?

Bazzaz Z-Fi TC Traction + Quick Shift + Fuel Unit | Motostarz USA | Motostarz.com

If your FZ-09 has the Yamaha ABS, it will need these items shown in the MT-09 Owners Manual for the ABS sensors and ABS rotor inserts.

MT-09-ABS.jpg

Unless you somehow added it with Aftermarket parts? Which would be interesting to know how and what parts are needed to add ABS, and how much to add it?

And UK version has key fab security as well. That is one we should have for no extra charge.

·
Registered
539 Posts
ABS breeds improper braking.

Reactions: JohnnyC4

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was surprised to learn that Yamaha did not include ABS on the FZ-09? Any idea why?
On my '02 800 VFR ABS option added 20 lbs and $300 to cost. Using the rear brake to initiate braking (feather only) before applying the front in earnest is a good way (for me) to avoid front lockup in an emergency ie panic. If you have developed the skill of balanced braking, ABS is not needed. But for newbees it can be a life saver.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Most riders I have taught in various intermediate riding courses when riding their bikes with ABS have terrible braking techniques for quick stops and for slowing for a corner. Lazy, hamfisted, abrupt, crappy technique. Even had a student get upset with me when I told him that he still needed to use the brakes properly even if he has ABS. He was angry because the HD salesman told him ABS meant he did not need to worry about learing how to use the brakes and that is why he paid for the ABS option.

ABS can be good but it is no substitute for learning how to use your brakes. For the most part ABS only helps in panic/emergency stops which are very few and far between when compared to all the other times you are using the brakes to slow down for a turn or to stop.

As another note, if you find yourself needing to execute emergency stops often to avoid being cuttoff or other traffic hazards, I suspect you have issues with your habits of how you scan around your surroundings as you ride.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
+1 ABS, traction control, collision avoidance system (auto braking), just make people lazy. To many people end up driving faster and more careless because they have this false sense that these systems will save them if something goes wrong. It's kind of scary when you see so many more bad driver's out there, and now they think the car is smart enough to stop them from getting into an accident??? Yikes!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not having ABS was one of the reasons I liked the FZ09 even more after my initial encounter in the dealership. It is an angry anachronism...

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
I'd have cornering ABS and traction control if it were offered, but I'm not feeling deprived going to a bike with no safety net. An 09 is a great way to discover adrenaline is brown.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts