Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
Any Happy campers willing to share a positive or negative experience with the Nitron R1 rear shocker, on the beloved XSR900....?
I'm about to pull the pin on one, my arse has had enough...!

Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
People sure love them over on Revzilla.com reviews. Looks great from what I've read. Any shock is a huge improvement as you know. One thing I would question is the longevity of the company being around to help with parts and advice compared to Ohlins etc... OPPracing.com doesn't carry the brand anymore which is not a good sign. I would actually email or call them to find out why. That's a pretty good investment to make. The buzz online seems very positive about the shocks actually. Looks like a great option. Revzilla seems to be behind them which is a good sign for sure since they are a huge retailer. Here is a video overview of their stuff.

When you order one make sure to talk to someone who knows spring rates and can understand what you want out of it. It's easy to get a track oriented spring unless the retailer understands that you want more comfort - or vice versa. If they are half price it's worth a go I would say. =] please report back if you do

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Smitherz, I Sure will.
The Company I'm talking to is a Non specific brand supplier stocking many brands. His reason for pointing me towards the Nitron, is that the
preload adjuster is more accessible than the Wilbers, which is at the top of the shock, making it near impossible to adjust on our bike. He highly recommends the Wilbers, which is why I initially rang him, but believes the Nitron is a better proposition for the street, and the Wilbers for the track.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
You get it fitted yet bob? I just did the snowy ride and think a better rear shock might be in order.
Where did you order it from? Jarv. Sydney.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I installed a Penske 8900E shock on my 14 09 many years ago.
I never was totally enchanted with the way it felt until now.
After 25K it was in serious need of a rebuild and then I found out, after speaking with Nick at Stoltec, that the original valving was far less than optimal.
The folks at Penske Service fixed me up with the rebuild and the updated valving at a very, very reasonable price plus, the shock was back on the bike in less than ten days.
My 09 has never enjoyed the handling or had the bump compliance that it has now.
So my two cents would be that I believe all these shocks are a vast improvement over the OEM unit but Penskes customer service adds a good amount of value.
The situation may be different for you guys that live in faraway places but the after purchase service question is worth exploring.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You get it fitted yet bob? I just did the snowy ride and think a better rear shock might be in order.
Where did you order it from? Jarv. Sydney.

Not as yet Jarv.
I'm allocating funds to other areas of life at the moment.
I spoke to Izzy at Suspensions R Us in Seaford, Victoria. I really liked his vibe, when I do buy, I will ride down to his shop and pick it up.
Actually I rang him about Wilbers, it was on his advice he suggested Nitron would be better suited to my easy street riding.
AB.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I’ve just put an order in for the Nitron R1 for my 95 kg bulk. Road and track, occasional light pillion. Will report back.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome Jarv. The R1 is the Single adjuster if I remember correctly, I was pondering the R3, with the multitude of adjustments, and the remote gas canister, which I fell might be too mind boggling for the street..
Did you order from Seaford...?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Yeah the ‘suspensions r us’ guys?

I had a look at the line, but couldn’t really justify a track shock for the road, (predominantly). I do the occasional track day.

I’m a quick road rider, even on the stock shock, (had the pegs down on the snowy ride...what a road around Jindabyne!) so I reckon the R1 will be fine, they’ve just built the comp and rebound into the one adjuster.

Hydraulic preload is handy, but for $400, it’s a bit ott. I mean, once the sag is set, unless you gain or loose a heap of weight or carry a hippo on the back...

Might look at cartridges, coz I bet a decent improvement on the back end will highlight the deficiencies of the front?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The money has been spent, the Nitron R1 is now in its new home.
My arse is very happy about that purchase.
Without getting too carried away with settings, as I am just a get around town type of rider, I adjusted for 40mm sag sitting on the bike and Comp/Rebound one click soft off centre, of which there are 24 clicks in total.
Something to be wary of when replacing the top shocker bolt, is the loom that goes down to the neutral safety switch, was caught under the head of the bolt, as its very tight in there without a clear sight of view. Luckily no damage was done to the wiring.
Having only ridden it a few times, Its now like riding on a cloud of soft air, compared to the original unit, which was like a jack hammer pounding my arse. The fronts need to be done now, as I can feel the harshness from the front end coming up through the bars.

Big thumbs up here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts