Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaning towards getting the FZ but the Ninja 1000 is also appealing. Has anyone experience riding both?
I like the fairing for wind protection, sport touring features and everyone who has a Ninja seems to love it.
Your comparisons appreciated.

·
Registered
462 Posts
A good friend has a 2013 ninja that he bought new and has over 50,000 trouble free miles...they are known to be very reliable and odds are that any ninja owner, or fz owner for that matter, will get tired of the bike before they wear it out. The ninja seating position is a bit more aggressive in that you are leaned more forward a bit with slightly more weight on you wrists. The ninja wins in fuel capacity and wind protection but loses in the extra weight which can be felt.

The throttle application on the ninja is spot on..very smooth and linear, where as its more aggressive on the fz. The ninja is not near as nimble and easy to toss around as the fz. Power on both bikes is more than adequate but for me the low end grunt and the way the power comes on is a win for the fz.

I have been riding on the road for 50yrs and the number one reason is they are FUN! Anything with 2 wheels and a motor puts a smile on my face. But for me and the way I like to ride, the ninja cant come close to the fun I have on the fz! You really need to ride both to find which one pushes all the right buttons for you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have also ridden the Ninja 1000 have nothing bad to say about the Ninja except -for me- the ergonomics (seat-pegs-bar triangle) would need to be slightly more relaxed, which I would set up on my bikes anyway.
The bike itself is awesome and the 2020 model got a LOT of upgrades, 6 axis IMU, bi-directional quick shifter, cruise control, customizable TFT screen etc. for $12,400.
I would definitely recommend a test ride, more than once I thought I had found the perfect bike but once I rode it I walked away disappointed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The FZ engine, weight and size make it win the aggressive riding and hooliganish side. Much more nimble in city riding as well.
The Ninja would win the sport touring side (longer hauls w some luggage).
IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Yamaha fz 09
23 Posts
Had a Kawasaki 1000 and the mapping was absolutely horrible compared to any other fuel injected bike I've ever been on. Could never seem to get full throttle to smooth out from a dead stop absolutely hated it. The FZ from the factory is the best I've ever experienced. Although I've seen some disagree with the Fz throttle, I think it's great!

·
Registered
215 Posts

Pretty dang slick bike.. Would love to ride one.
Between the ninja 1000, or the Z1000... I bet they give the FZ a run for the money.
Closest thing I have is the ZRX which is a step behind them, but talk about smooth.

Let us know what you end up getting.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Z1000 was a beast. Fueling as mentioned above could be tricky but once flashed it wasn’t an issue. The Z900 is the comp for the FZ09. It has more power but I enjoy the FZ engines character more. You also sit in, instead of the FZ’s on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts