Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm taking my long loop to New Hope (about 50 miles). Zipping along on roads I've been riding for 20+ years. Turn onto 8 mile road through forest that's very curvy and slightly hilly. Uh oh, the PennDOT pothole fixing truck has been here like yesterday. This truck has a snorkel which blows out the hole, sprays in tar and finishes with too much stone chips. So I slow way down and just cruise along. (25-30 mph) Come around blind downhill left and see "repair" in mid corner. Kept looking at it and went right off the edge of road. Dirt flies everywhere and the "tilt" switch shuts down engine. Assessment- I'm not broken anywhere, hand, arm and ribs will be sore. I always where leather gloves/jacket and they did their job. Stand up and pick up bike. MRA windshield cracked, handlebar slightly torqued, dirt wedged between front wheel and fender, and some slight scratches in clear coat of tankside. Thankfully my T-rex and Woodcraft goodies kept cosmetic damage to a minimum. Remember, look where you want to go!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Glad ur okay....

Mind posting a pic of the damage? I'm curious how the bike held up.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm not broken anywhere, hand, arm and ribs will be sore.
Heal well, and I'm pleased to read you are not seriously injured. Good gear... good equipment... good outcome overall under the circumstances.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Well that sucks, at least you both got away relatively unscathed. You wanted new bars anyway, right?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Remember the pilot's saying:
A good landing is one you walk away from.
A great landing is one where you can still use the aircraft.

Glad it turned out okay and you weren't seriously hurt!

I ran off the road about a week after I got my FZ-09. Rolling along about 55-60mph, I must've run 100 yards down the freshly scraped shoulder (dust went everywhere in my wake) before slowing enough to safely steer back into the road....about 50 feet before a big mailbox that would've ruined my day.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Very glad to hear you are OK. A bunch of us on FZ's were just in New Hope last weekend - http://www.fz09.org/forum/23-north-east-fz-09-owners/4721-nj-meet-up-9-20-9-21-a.html . The gravel and some repairs were present on a few of the roads.

A riding buddy once told me some advice about looking at crap like that in the road - he simple says "it's ancient history" meaning you are already committed , keep your eyes up. Easier said then done sometimes.

Reactions: voytek and cthouse

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgot about adrenaline pain delay. 58 year old body very sore this morning. By the way, I did finish my morning ride and had breakfast in New Hope. Beautiful morning other than crashing my baby. Can't believe that Yamaha wants $110 for stock bars! Looking at Renthals. Also glad I had just installed flip up levers.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
A good thing to remember is that "target fixation" can either work FOR you, or it can work AGAINST you. Look where you want/need to go and not at what the problem/issue/obstickle is. Most of us here already know that, but it's a good reminder for all of us.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I feel better that you made it to the dirt (LOL). Crashing is a way of life for off-road riding.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Good you are not hurt too much.

To add to Vern's excellent points: a lot of time riders target fixate because they are not looking far enough ahead and thus something that would be many seconds away if they were looking far enough ahead, "appears" in their view very close ahead and they are startled by what they suddenly see and so they stare (target fixate) at what startled them.

Have fun riding! Get some good finish restoring polishing compound and buff the scratches out of the clear coat.

Reactions: triplethreat

·
Registered
411 Posts
Glad to hear that you were not seriously hurt. the bike can always be repaired or replaced. good reminder for all of us to be careful out there!

·
Registered
142 Posts
sounds like an ok end result. could have been worse...the side of the road could have been a cliff into steep drop. most of the curvy roads around here have sharp drops off the end

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Good you are not hurt too much.

To add to Vern's excellent points: a lot of time riders target fixate because they are not looking far enough ahead and thus something that would be many seconds away if they were looking far enough ahead, "appears" in their view very close ahead and they are startled by what they suddenly see and so they stare (target fixate) at what startled them.

Have fun riding! Get some good finish restoring polishing compound and buff the scratches out of the clear coat.
Nice follow up comment Moto.......and so very true! :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
So glad you're ok and sooo glad you had on your gear! Thanks for the reminder of looking where you need/want to go.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Turns out that after really checking handlebars, my forks were tweaked ever so slightly. Realigned front end and all is good. Except, of course, my clear coat scratches which I haven't found time to compound out yet and my sore body parts. I can probably glue windshield cracks but I'll probably just get new one.

·
Registered
166 Posts
sorry to hear about it. I recntly dropped my FZ in a similar target fixation situation..
Bikes and thier parts can be replaced, you cannot. Glad your ok, ride on.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I came very close to doing the same while fixating on a squirrel in the middle of the curve.. I hit him with the toe of my boot.. Like airplanes.. any landing you walk away from is a good one!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I came very close to doing the same while fixating on a squirrel in the middle of the curve.. I hit him with the toe of my boot.. Like airplanes.. any landing you walk away from is a good one!
Good pilots, like good motorcycle riders, learn from their mistakes and mishaps so they don't repeat them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went to chiropractor tonight- mucho less pain after proper alignment. Didn't believe in chiropractors until I started taking my show hounds to one. Made a believer out of me and proper alignment from a good chiropractor has made my older body much happier.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts