Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Rider Magazine:

"Yamaha brings the Leaning Multi-Wheeled (LMW) concept to production with the Niken, with a liquid-cooled 847cc inline triple derived from the Tracer 900 and a radical two-wheeled front end that allows a maximum lean angle of 45 degrees. Pricing starts at $15,999, but the 2019 special-order production run is sold out, so you’ll have to wait until next year..."

Who knows what the number is for the special-order production run? Maybe 29, maybe 99, maybe 199. Just the same, props to Yamaha for pushing the concept.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I hope they'll bring one to motorcycle show in Chicago. I wanna see it even better would be to do a test ride. Good for Yamaha, trying something new and it seems there is market for it. I wonder how many units they've made.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Remember when people mocked the first four-door pickup truck as a gimmick? Now it's almost unthinkable to buy anything else.

The Niken comes at a time when millions of aging bikers are seeking a way to keep riding, without the stigma of a trike. What could be more brilliant than converting a popular hooligan bike and then doubling the price?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Too many people are under the misconception this is like a trike, or can-am, or anything that 'helps' an aging or disabled rider. It does nothing. One of our local dealers has had one on the floor for months and one of my riding buddies said he saw one on the road. Dead market here in Tampa.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Whoever said that a motorcycle must stand upright to appeal to aging riders? That is the misconception here.

In reality old guys want a motorcycle that leans, and will go to great lengths to keep riding if they get enough stability and enough reduction in joint and muscle pain. At a reasonable price, of course. Nobody knows exactly where the tipping point lies, but the Niken is a heckuva good attempt at finding out. I wouldn't underestimate it.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Agree, what is not to like? Almost twice the amount of front end grip. FZ09 power plant and ergos. It leans, it looks outrageous, it shows Yamaha engineering expertise, (Halo bike). It is not that expensive, if I had room in the garage I would love to have one. Park it next to a Harley CVO $40k bike and watch the sparks fly.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I would think it would have the same function as the piagio 3 wheeled scooter which has a lever that can be flipped to lock the front wheels at stops like traffic lights and parking which does in fact mimic the stability of a traditional trike

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would think it would have the same function as the piagio 3 wheeled scooter which has a lever that can be flipped to lock the front wheels at stops like traffic lights and parking which does in fact mimic the stability of a traditional trike
Yamaha will probably want to establish the Niken as a "real" motorcycle, and keep the cost down, before adding any more scooter-like features. But yeah, that would be a practical upgrade/sales booster after 3 or 4 model years.

·
Super Moderator
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Indeed that is a feature with the Niken.

Uh...nevermind. I am wrong.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I saw and sat on it last Saturday. I knew it was weird but it's even fuglier than I thought. So much plastic upfront covering suspension bits, it would look cooler with everything exposed lol Still can't really say much without riding it first.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts