Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just Picked up my bike from its 600 mile service. About 10 miles from the shop on the Freeway my check oil light comes on. I slow and pull off to check oil. I shut down the bike and see oil draining out the bottom. Look under the bike and there is no oil drain plug. Nice puddle of oil on the ground and all over the rear of the bike, back of my helmet, rear tire, etc... I'm glad I didn't low side. I push the bike off to a safe spot and call the shop. They are closing but have a driver available to pick up bike. He and I have to roll it onto the flatbed truck. The driver ties the bike down and he offers to give me a ride home about 4 miles away. First turn, the bike tips over and falls on the right side. Lift it up and tie it down again. About half mile from my home the bike does a slow tip over again. Drivers first day on the job, can't get a hold of his supervisor (shop closed). Get the bike to my house and we take it off the truck and put it in my garage. I don't want it on the truck anymore. Both the bike and I are flaming red now.

I'll call the shop tomorrow morning and figure out what to do.
Could there be engine damage?
What should my demands be?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Repair to Like anew Condition -- they repair at they're expense:cool:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Dont know if you'll get it but id demand a new bike! Id be afraid every ticking, knocking and rattling noise from now until i got rid of the bike was caused by losing my oil... im a hypochondriac though :)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
They should be on the hook for any and all mechanical/cosmetic work to get it back to new condition. I might even ask for cleaning expenses for your jacket, etc.

Hope you didn't take time off work for that sh*t-show of a dealer...sounds like everyone there was having their first day.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Wow...that is just unbelievable. I would have been pissed at the loss of oil, I may have killed the tow truck driver after the bike tipped over the first time. The second time may have been a rampage.

How the hell did it get tied down??

Anyway, they should absolutely be on the hook for every tiny little scratch. I would get a hold of your insurance asap and see what they recommend. A new bike may not be entirely out of the question, who knows what happened when the plug fell out and you lost oil...it's possible there could have been damage that might go unnoticed for some time.

And this once again confirms my reasoning for never letting anyone work on my bikes...I hate to even take a car into a dealer for service.

·
Registered
251 Posts
This is indeed what you pay insurance for.

Keep the bike at home, advise you insurer that you are unhappy for the same shop to complete the work & if you can, recommend another to them that will do the inspection to your satisfaction.

You pay your premium for your insurance company to go into fight for you, make the most of the resources you are paying for.

·
Registered
377 Posts
This is NOT what you pay insurance for,

kick and scream and rant and rave to yamaha corporate if you have to, IMO,and IANAL, but you should get a new bike. I know I'd never trust a motor that ran dry until it was rebuilt.
have you gotten your survey from yamaha corporate yet? If not, I'll photograph mine for you. email me

if you haven't yet, photographs, photographs, photographs. Ideally cell phone pics on the freeway would be best but ....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Holy shit man, that's awful. I believe this would fall under the shop insurance. All dealerships have insurance for issues like this.

You went from a brand new bike... To a bike that was run completely dry and dropped TWICE. Not acceptable.

Take lots of pictures, document everything. Now.

I would call Yamaha first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I really hate to hear of your misfortune, I can't imagine how I would feel were it my bike. I would want a new bike or at least a completely repaired (cosmetically) bike and a new engine. The absolute minimum would be a rebuilt engine by a different and competent shop although I'm still thinking new engine. How long was the rod big ends without oil pressure? Who knows? Does the FZ-09 have a plain bearing crank? If so then it is highly dependent on it's oil pressure, roller bearing crank and it may have survived but is it damaged? How about the camshaft bearings, lobes etc., transmissions usually have spray jets now so did it lose lube to the gears, bearings etc. Man, I'm just having nightmares thinking about it. Maybe the plug fell out at 9.5 miles and nothing was damaged but I'm afraid that wouldn't make me feel any better. I like the insurance company angle, I suppose you could always bring up the "What if my engine seizes on me down the road a few miles and I end up injured?" I would not let the shop put a new plug in with fresh oil and tell me all was fine, sorry but that wouldn't cut it. Maybe get a quote in writing from another shop owner on what steps they would take for an engine that was run out of oil (on his own bike or one of his family members just for grins), I don't know but just throwing out ideas.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just to add, I would definitely exaggerate every little issue with the bike. Don't let them sweep it under the carpet with a few touch ups and new oil.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ok, so I just read the posts above mine and like what they said about Yamaha corporate being involved, I hope this works out well for you. I will say I was involved in a situation where a new Honda owner was convinced something was wrong with his engine and kept bringing the bike back to the shop demanding a new one until finally the shop just went out and blew the engine and got warranty to replace the bike. If you've ever tried to blow up a CB350 it isn't that easy but eventually riding around at valve float did the job.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Sounds like the mechanic and the driver where newbs..

document everything thoroughly and call an attorney. The shop will argue that no serious damage was done and go through great lengths to avoid giving you a new bike. Even if the shop gives in, more than likely their insurance will step in and proceed to dispute mechanical damage.

regardless of what the shop says, consult an attorney.

Reactions: markstertt

·
Registered
9 Posts
sorry to hear dude, make sure you document everything. Tell them you should get a new bike. This is a huge liability for them if they want to stay in business. They better listen, if they don't, get a lawyer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I wanted to see what the shop says tomorrow before contacting attorney or Yamaha. I really don't want to get my insurance involved unless I have to. I am going to push for a new bike. I don't know if I can ever fully trust the engine. I did purchase the extended warranty. I have pictures on the side of the road and of the bike on its side on the truck, and wrote details down in email to my wife. I like the idea of calling another shop and asking them what they would do if it was there bike. I think the shop, and me, is lucky the oil on my rear wheel didn't cause a high speed accident on the HWY

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did you take the bike to the dealer for the first service? You just mention a shop.

If it was the dealer I wouldn't be happy with anything other than a new bike, if it was a normal shop I'd ask for replacement cost of the bike.

Either way I see a law suit. And what ever you do don't ride the bike again until the law suit is over or they replace the bike.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Damn...Did somebody piss off a herd of black cats on a full moon Friday the 13th ? :evil:

The bike hauling episode probably wasn't helped by having an oily back tire.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
As an attorney I recommed: documenting and photographing everything. Hopefully you have pics of the oil under the bike on the side of the road and of the bike on its side in the back of the truck.

I suggest talking to ONLY the shop owner IMMEDIATELY. Not the service mgr. Not the General manager, the owner and only the owner.

Tell him you are very very dissapointed in the lack of professional service you recieved.

ASK him how he can resolve the situation IMMEDIATELY.

If he asks you, tell him a brand new bike would be the professional way to make up for his employees' errors.

Do NOT return the bike to the dealer.

Tell him to deliver a replacement bike to your home and he can pick up the damaged bike at that time and not before.

If he wants to inspect the bike tell him he is welcome to come to your home at your convenience with his mechanic.

Tell him IF he is not prepared to replace the bike, you will NOT be returning the bike to his inept shop and instead, you will be taking the bike to ANOTHER Yamaha dealer for a full inspection and documentation of the bike to make it as good as new and he can expect a bill from that dealer.

THEN call Yamaha corporate HQ and have them find you a second dealer to handle it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll try the owner tomorrow and not have the bike brought down until I get satisfactory resolution. There is another dealer close by that I have had good interactions with in the past that I'll try calling tomorrow also. May be difficult getting hold of the right people on Sunday. I do have photos of the bike on the side of the road with oil under, the missing drain plug, and the bike on it's side on top of the truck

·
Registered
239 Posts
The dealer put your life in danger. Your lucky to be alive! You could have landed under an eighteen wheeler! Pretty scary if you ask me! I think Punitive Damages should be considered. Keep your cool, be mature/authoritative, and only firmly speak with decision makers. Don't forget you have lost the use of a NEW motorcycle. What is the cost or renting an FZ-09 per day? I do not think a lawyer is needed at this time. Going to court will involve time and resources for all involved but it is an option.

If it were me: A New 2015 FZ-09, New coat and any other clothing that was damaged, And an FZ-09 to use until you receive a new 2015 FZ-09 with modifications like a Yamaha wind screen, LED turn signals,..... your choice. BE FIRM and self-assured/confident. Best of luck.
:color: :cool: :color:

UPDATE: Motomania post was made while I was writing mine. His is good advice.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts