Date Complaint Filed: 12/23/2013
Component(s): SUSPENSION Date of Incident: 08/05/2013
NHTSA ID Number: 10557000
All Products Associated with this Complaint expand
Details close
0 Associated Documents
Crash:No Fire:No Number of Injuries:0 Number of Deaths:0
Manufacturer: Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): JYARN33E0EA...
SUMMARY:
DRIVING ACROSS THE INTERSTATE10 SALT RIVER BRIDGE IN PHOENIX AZ, THERE IS A DIP AT ONE OF THE BRIDGE EXPANSION JOINTS. IT IS NOT A VERY SEVERE DIP BUT THE REAR SUSPENSION ON THIS NEW MOTORCYCLE BOUNCED VIOLENTLY 5 TIMES AFTER THIS DIP. THERE IS AN ADJUSTMENT SCREW TO INCREASE THE DAMPING AND I TURNED IT TO THE MAXIMUM VALUE, BOTH FRONT AND REAR, THIS REDUCED THE AMOUNT OF POST BUMP BOUNCING TO AROUND 2 TIMES. THIS IS INADEQUATE SUSPENSION DAMPING AND I BELIEVE IT COULD BE A HAZARD, ESPECIALLY IF IT HAPPENS IN A TURN, WITH AN INEXPERIENCED RIDER. I AM BUYING A DIFFERENT REAR SHOCK FOR THIS MOTORCYCLE, BUT NOT EVERYBODY HAS THAT ABILITY AND A NEW REAR SHOCK IS NOT CHEAP OR EASY TO INSTALL. I AM ALSO CHANGING THE FRONT FORK OIL TO A HIGHER VISCOSITY, TO STOP THE FRONT END FROM OVER RE-BOUNDING. AT THE VERY MINIMUM, I RECOMMEND THAT ALL NEW MOTORCYCLES SHOULD LEAVE THE DEALERSHIPS WITH THE SUSPENSION ADJUSTERS SET TO MAXIMUM VALUE, FRONT AND REAR TO REDUCE THIS PROBLEM.

I know the stock suspension is not great but I haven't seen this level of complaint before. I'm curious what will come of it, if anything. I have no clue how the NHTSA works, and when complaints lead to mandatory recalls or other legal action.

By the way, this is my first post. Don't own an FZ-09 but it will happen soon!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Date of Incident: 08/05/2013
Had the 09 even been sold in the USA by early August? The suspension isn't great, but it's a known issue, I don't know that filing a NHTSA complaint is warranted.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Has anyone here gone over dips like the one described? Or experienced this severe rebounding as alleged in the complaint?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Thought this was interesting from the NHTSA site:
Please post the link from the NHTSA site.

I found a similar post to what you described at the following link:
Yamaha FZ09 Problems, 2014 Yamaha FZ09 Complaints - Page #1

However, this looks like a private "Auto Recalls For Consumers" (Car Recalls - Auto Recalls for Consumers) site which may simply compile complaints even if they prove unfounded. Reading the complaint directly from NHTSA's site would be more compelling.
And, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Jen, if it was a real report sounds like the rider was heavier than you lol.

I have heard of the shock throwing the rider's butt up.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
It's good to know these things :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've experienced my share of rough transitions on bridges on the FZ. One or two had a rough rebound, but damped after one cycle. Since the roads around here aren't great, I've since learned to sit light in the seat when approaching and departing all bridges. Problem solved until I can afford a suspension upgrade. Mine's still on factory settings.

·
Registered
885 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'm a big fan of George Carlin. I hope you all know what I mean by that.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Carlin was fantastic, but I don't know why you are referring to him here lol.
What did George call the current generation?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I think what bothers me most about this is that the "complainer" does not mention anything about his/her weight or any other pertinent details other than rebound settings. For example: Weight (100lb or 400lb)? Speed (3mph or 132mph)?, Preload Settings?, Tire pressure?

Some people:confused:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Probably from a lawyer, if you want to be safe drive a car, learn what your bikes capable of and ride it accordingly

·
Registered
156 Posts
its well known the suspension on this bike sucks theres no arguing that. I plan on changing it out soon enough. the nhtsa site is here for this sort of thing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I finally got to ride my bike for a short break in ride today, and I hit a couple of frost heaves and my ass comes right off the seat, I was laughing my ass off thinking of this post, time to get to work on putting the Kawi shock in!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts