Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Following for future reference. Also, I remember during the early days of the pandemic. Finding them took an act of God. The Yamaha Parts clerk told me to buy a lottery ticket

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, for some reason when I tried NGK website it wouldn't pull anything up. I found them on Partzilla.

·
Registered
‘14 FZ-09 ‘08 FZ6
35 Posts
In my recent research I found that the exact NGK iridium plug is the CPR9EAIX-9. The only place I could find them was Japan Spark Plugs. Being obsessive type I obviously ordered them (at nearly 100 bucks shipped for the three).

Installed them during my recent engine work, engine starts great with very nice throttle response. So about the same as normal only Iridium!😜

·
Registered
347 Posts
about 9k miles ago.
Isn't this a short life span for sparkies? I mean, not saying you shouldn't do it since you will be in the neighborhood...

I guess my question is, what mileage should one get out of sparkies?

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
687 Posts
Isn't this a short life span for sparkies? I mean, not saying you shouldn't do it since you will be in the neighborhood...

You bought this bike for its mileage? Lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I'm sure they'd be good to 20k miles from what I've seen other people pull, but I think the manual says like 8k or something like that.

·
Registered
347 Posts
the manual says
I'm looking at my Service Manual now, it says replace every 12k. Oops, mine are overdue at 16k miles.

To be honest tho, I'd like someone with some scientific evidence to tell me why I should replace them at such short interval. I ran a Honda Civic to it's stolen death with more than 200k miles on same sparkies with no CONSIDERABLE detriment to performance or mpg.

I'm currently running a Honda Fit to it's death. It has prolly 35k on NGK Iridiums, and again, no detriment to any performance.

·
Registered
376 Posts

I have never changed them before 20k on any bike, insulators always looks good and center/side electrodes have sharp edges. I change them during the valve check/ throttle body sync just because it is convenient when everything is apart. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts