Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
5K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  agent1492 
#1 ·
Hello All!

I am an Active duty marine in Afghan and right before i left i completed the Basic Riders Safety Course. I fell in love with riding and imideately started looking for an affordable fun and great looking bike. What i found was the FZ-09. I hope it doesnt become a bad decision because i plan on buying it the minute i get back home.

I hope that i learn a lot here about the bike so when i actually get it i wont bust my butt haha.

Respectfully,

Agent1492

#2 ·
Thank you 1000 times over for your service and welcome to the forum. This bike is not really a beginner bike (i'd recommend an sv650 or a 250 or 300cc sport bike) but you'll have to make your own decision on that. If you do end up getting it, take it easy on the bike, practice in a parking lot (it seems stupid but it's not) and BUY GOOD GEAR. There are several threads on here about how gear has saved many peoples lives - don't skimp.

#4 ·
Yeah, I plan on taking it very easy untill im completely comfortable with the bike. I dont want to drop it at all [i know its inevitable] but i will do everything i can to keep it in top shape at all times. What are some "must have" riding equipment that you suggest?

#3 ·
Couldn't have said it better than beck... I second all of his points to you. Welcome to the boards and thank you for your service!

Reactions: agent1492
#5 ·
We like our Marines and we want to keep our Marines Alive so they can open a can of whoop ass for another day - Listen to Beck, he'll steer you right. Thank you for your service and you will have many friends here in FZ-09.org.

What was your MOS?

#6 ·
The inevitability is something people say but it's not guaranteed. However this is why it's smart to get something like an sv650 first. You can find one for 3k or less, insurance is dirt cheap and they are bullet proof. If you drop it it's not as big of a deal. They hold their value so I'd you take care if it you can sell it without a big loss.

Regarding gear - ideally you want

1. Leather jacket (armor should be Ce rated) upgrade the back protector in any jacket you buy - check out something like Alpinestars Viper or gpr jacket if you're on a budget - i love mine. I also have a textile jacket for summer riding - offers less protection but not as heavy. That's a personal choice I made to wear it over my leather one.

2. Snell approved helmet is ideal but make sure you absolutely buy a full face helmet - a lot of accidents end with the rider landing on their jaw.

3. Gloves (gauntlet gloves are ideal - they provide the most protection)

4. Boots should be above your ankles - these are high preferential - go to a shop and try different ones on. A race boot like astars smx6 is good for the price - i have spidi xps3s and I love them. The logic here is if you lay the bike down your ankle and foot is protected from the 415lb machine that lands on it.

5. Ear plugs - seems stupid but hearing loss can occur even at 30mph even with a quiet helmet.

6. Pants - you can get kevlar jeans with Ce armor, textile over pants or leather racing pants. Leathers offer the most protection but you'll have decide what your comfort level is. I ride with either textile over pants or kevlar jeans. Don't skimp - get Ce armor in at least the knees. Or buy yourself a pair of armored undershorts or pants.

On color choice - Hi viz is always a good option - any color that makes you visible increases the chances someone won't kill you.

Think that covers it. Dress for the fall not for the ride and take it seriously. An accident can happen at anytime (so gear up even if you're going down the street). If you don't have the funds to afford the above - buy a cheaper bike and get the right gear.

#20 ·
I know I'm not the only guy to think this. I'd skip even the 650 and go small to start. You don't want to lose money on the deal, so new is probably not the best option. I'd rather see you learn on an old IT or XR riding in the dirt if dirt is available. Dirt is slippery and demands constant attention, awareness and finess. An old dual sport like an XL is a good choice too, even if you don't ever take it in the dirt. But definitely do if you possible can. And dirt is the ultimate kick in the pants, except maybe go kart racing. You'll learn to actually be in control of the bike instead of visa versa. Nearly everyone nowadays goes way too big to start. Maybe an FZ doesn't seem big compared to a 1190 KTM Duke, but it's too big to learn on. Except for the cost in replacing outgrown bikes (an admitted drag), small is the best way to start. And learn to truly counter steer. Find someplace slippery and learn to spin big doughnuts crossed up like a speedway bike. Both directions. Seriously. Getting sideways is an excellent training tool, but you will crash. You don't want to crash your new FZ, so do it in the dirt on a nice, small, easily crash recoverable bike, like a dirt bike that's already all scratched up and you'll likely get away with a bent clutch lever or another dent in the tank. You'll be glad you practiced getting squirrely when you eventually lose the rear end on the street some day. My two cents. BTW You go where you look, so don't look where you don't want to go. Like into a rain rut or tree. Then when you're very good on a small bike, get a 650 or similar bike for the street if that's really what you wanna do. When you finally cannot exist another second without owning a bike that runs the quarter in the tens and electronically cuts off at 132 MPH, the FZ might be a good choice, if they've got that throttle glitch out of it by then. They are pretty and I love the dual-sport riding position. Don't want to go to jail though, so I might not ever get anywhere near its top speed potential. Guess I'm getting wimpy in my old age. Best wishes on whatever you finally decide. Motorcycles are kind of like girls. When a pretty one flutters its eyelashes at you, all thought flies out the window. When it comes to selecting your first bike, remember Jimmy Soul's song: "If You Wanna Be Happy"

#24 · (Edited)
Wow, great advice in this thread, sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders...you Marines are a quality bunch! Thank you for your service.

I'll add my $.02 Good call on working up to the FZ...not getting it as your 1st bike...you can always go up later, learning on a smaller beater that you develop good skills on will give you a lifetime of riding benefit.

I was one of those guys who's life was saved by gear...so yeah, please get the best you can afford. Pants are always a tricky one, because you ask yourself if you really want to commit that much to taking a ride...but in the end, it is worth it. There are a bunch of textile armored pants that don't look to crazy, like the Dainese Drake Air textile pants, etc. Jeans just don't cut it

Revzilla has a bunch of great stuff, and better yet, great product review videos

+1 to the earplugs...I wish I had started riding with these...it really helps in the end.

Good luck, and welcome!

#25 ·
Full Face total Helmet -- ya can't compromise here, regardless of how it initially feels. You'll get used to it and be greatful we insisted the more you read & learn about your new sport/hobby/addiction:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.