Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded my 2017 fz09 in on a 2020 mt09, I actually swap the bikes in a couple days. Tbh I'm a little sketched out after watching experienced riders on YouTube saying that they got rid of their bikes because they were going to kill themselves. Anyways...with Tcs mode 1 or 2 will it actually keep the front tire on the ground? The fz07 was completely capable of wheelies in 1st or 2nd without clutching up but I never had a problem with it because I was completely aware of its capabilities and wouldnt push it to that point.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If your worried about the power then the fz/mt-09 isnt for you or anyone else who feels this way. You didnt watch any real "experienced rider" on YouTube if they were complaining about the power of the FZ. A real rider doesn't need modes to control a motorcycle, only thing needed is experience.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Bikes are inanimate objects, everything they do is caused by the rider. Mine wheelies when I make it wheelie.
Those experienced riders didn't know what throttle control was.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm confused...your post says you are trading a 2017 FZ-09 for a 2020 MT-09. Except for being three years newer, what is the conundrum?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
LouG and HyperNakedPimp hit it right on the money. I was going to use the analogy... A gun does not kill anyone... it's the person pulling the trigger that kills.

Same with a bike. A bike does not wheelie... it's the rider that makes the bike wheelie. I'm a brand new rider and started out on a 2018 MT-09. I was afraid of this bike at the beginning, but I've learned the throttle on the bike and now I am not afraid of it. I go slow when I need to go slow and I go fast when I need to. I control my wrist and so I control the throttle. So just go easy and learn the bike. Simply learn how much twist you need to accomplish the goal you want.

Does the babysitter TCS keep the front down? YES! It does... of course disclaimer... Nothing is 100% guaranteed. My experience is that I have had the front lift up a little at aggressive acceleration and depending on many factors, you can feel the engine cutting out a bit or not at all and the front simply goes back down.

Just go easy dude. Learn your bike. The bike won't make you an experienced rider, it is you, always paying attention to the bike, to the road, to your butt dyno... that will make you an experienced rider. Keep on learning and experiencing and keep them 2 on the ground.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ya just noticed my typo. I traded an fz07 for mt09.
Gotcha...I also missed the FZ07 further down. What, we all aren't perfect? WTF?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had to take a hiatus from motorcycles while we raised up our kids and when it came time to get another bike I had already researched the fz 09 and decided that was it. I'll say, I couldn't be happier. Respect the power but ultimately you control it. This is a fun, versatile machine. It's a frickin hot rod when you want it to be, a pleasant commuter bike and despite the naysayers, it thrashes the twistys when guided by an experienced hand. What this bike is best for is generating a big ole smile on your face. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I traded my 2017 fz09 in on a 2020 mt09, I actually swap the bikes in a couple days. Tbh I'm a little sketched out after watching experienced riders on YouTube saying that they got rid of their bikes because they were going to kill themselves. Anyways...with Tcs mode 1 or 2 will it actually keep the front tire on the ground? The fz07 was completely capable of wheelies in 1st or 2nd without clutching up but I never had a problem with it because I was completely aware of its capabilities and wouldnt push it to that point.
I was concerned about all that power before I got mine as well. In reality it's very controllable and user friendly. Forget all the hype. It's a pussycat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I made the same jump. 15 FZ07 to 17 FZ09 couldn't be happier. I also just picked up a Monster 1200s. Which clocks in at almost 30 more ftlbs of torque, it's still manageable. It's just a matter of riding within your abilities and spending enough time in the seat to feel comfortable on the bike.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
94 Posts
100% agree with the other comments, I just got an XSR 900 and I've spent that last 10 years on a 79 xs1100 (1098cc's). I was worried too when I read a lot of the reviews indicating that the bike was 'too powerful', but I went for a test ride anyways. What I find is that because there is so much torque everywhere the power is very controllable - if you don't want to wheelie (or have any fun) then just shift earlier. The bike is a rocket at the higher RPM's but if you shift around 3-4k then its a very relaxed ride and easy to get along with. I wouldn't recommend riding around in B mode, and I wouldn't really recommend one of these bikes for a brand new first timer (although it could work if they are responsible) but if you've got some riding experience it isn't scary fast or anything.

TCS 1 or 2 will both keep the front wheel down - on the xsr I think mode 2 is 'less aggressive' and will allow for the front tire to come up about 10inches, but then it kicks in and cuts power. In mode 1 (more aggressive) I can't even lift the front wheel with a clutch drop in 1st - TCS just kicks in hard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts