Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed my oil and put 3 quarts in... Engine calls for 2.85 q... This difference is very minimal and would think nothing of it if it were my car, but obviously excessive oil can hit moving parts and develop air pockets ... Im wondering if the tolerance is a little more critical with bikes as opposed to cars or is it not a huge deal and should just pay closer attention next time.

If you know yourself to be pesimistic.. Please refrain from scaring me ;)

Ps... Did not hold each container to drain every ounce of residual oil in containers.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
With the 09 on a level floor and the side stand the oil is below the top of the window right? Pull the bike to vertical, when does the oil reach the top of the window?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Touches the top when bike is just about level, maybe a degree or 2 off level

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I take an old 5 gallon Mobil 1 jug and mark it at exactly the 91 oz point after using a ratio rite to measure out the oil. I keep the jug for all future oil changes. There is always residual oil in the motor even after warming it up. Also, I found that not all of it drains if the bike is held up by a rear stand. The first oil change I ovefiilled it and noticed some oil dripping from the overflow tube in the airbox, which is fed by the case breather tube. I took a turkey baster and sucked out the excess oil from my filler.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Only guessing, I'd say not enough over to cause damage. But get it down to the top of the window when the bike is vertical to be sure lol.

Doug's method, or several feet of clear plastic tubing and a suck, etc. One track day morning a buddy noticed he'd over filled his R6 and we used my MityVac that I had for bleeding brakes. Messy but you could unscrew the drain bolt but don't pull it away from the hole.

Amazon.com: Mityvac MV8000 Automotive Test and Bleeding Kit: Automotive

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yeah 3 full quarts will fill the sight glass window completely. Sort of annoying because then you need to jiggle the bike to see the level. There is no way that little amount of extra oil would cause damage IMO.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You could probably pull the filter off, drain it, and then put it back on to make up the difference if it bothers you. Just remember to start the bike to get the oil to flow to the filter before checking it again.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I doubt it will hurt it. The stealership put 3 qts in mine when I got it. I put 2.5360517 qts in mine because that is 2400cm3 converted to quarts. That's what it says right by the oil filler cap. And that puts it right in the middle of the window.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I doubt it will hurt it. The stealership put 3 qts in mine when I got it. I put 2.5360517 qts in mine because that is 2400cm3 converted to quarts. That's what it says right by the oil filler cap. And that puts it right in the middle of the window.
That's considerably different than the 2.85 the dealer said it was.. I wonder what the manual calls for..

a side note.. I put 2.85 in mine on the first oil change and on 2 separate occasions my oil light came on for a few seconds after going thru some whoops. I put more oil in that night and put close to the 3 quarts in since and no oil light since..

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
That's considerably different than the 2.85 the dealer said it was.. I wonder what the manual calls for..
I tend to believe what is written in metal...I've done it for three changes with no issues yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Ahh that makes sense.. Hope that guy that was only putting in 2.5 quarts reads this..
Again, that's how much I put in and it's in the measuring window, I get no light and the engine runs fine and no need for extra oil. Of course estimating using those windows on the oil bottle isn't necessarily accurate and I probably get a little extra anyways.

But it's not like I pour the oil in and walk away assuming it's fine. I run it till it's about 160 degrees, turn it off and give it 15 minutes then check the level. I usually add a few more ounces. Not much more than 2.6 total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Personally, I would never just measure an amount and put it in. The bike is equipped with a sight glass and that is it's whole purpose in life, to let you know if you have the correct amount of oil in the motor/clutch.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Or a measured amount that will be a bit under, then add as needed. Personally I don't measure, just something more to clean.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts