Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

We (my girlfriend and I) are starting to think about track days for 2015 and we would like to do one or two days south of the border this summer. We've been looking at Pocono, but NYST is just about the same distance and looks really good. Could you folks that have been there give a review of the track?

Thanks!

·
Vendor
2,395 Posts
I give it a 5 out of 5.
Really great, smooth track in the middle of nowhere.
I ran it on my VFR800A early last year... it would definitely be a lot more fun with the 9er.

P.S. If you want a place to crash I have a guest bedroom and a garage. The only down fall is it's in CT which is ~ 2.5 hours south of the track.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL... thanks for the invitation, but that is a tad far ;)

Yeah, from what I've seen it does look like a great track. How is it on a scale of technical vs fun reward? I know some tracks can get so technical and tough to master that it takes away from the fun of it. If we came down for a day, is it the sort of track that can be learned in a day? I'm sure there would be lots of people willing to show us the good lines.

·
Vendor
2,395 Posts
It's a good mix of tech and fun... I'd say leaning more towards the fun side.
I think you can pick up the track in a day, especially if you're running with the correct organization.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ve been there quite a few times and would be happy to give a review.

If you have gone to their web site it will show that it is a 2.1 mile track with 450 feet of elevation change and 18 turns.
They run the coarse as “uptown” (counter-clockwise) or “downtown” (clockwise). “Uptown” is said to be the safer way to go around but I can’t speak from experience as I have never done “downtown” to make the comparison.

I don’t know how long the front straight is but my stock R6 brought me up to 140mph before the pucker factor gets too high. Turn 1 is at negative camber and gets worse the further from the inside you go. Hug the corner — there is no passing here in any of the groups anyway.
You’ve got a double apex at turn 3 and after turn 4 you are making your way downhill into a bowl. A fun rollercoaster moment right there. You can get pretty aggressive going back up and over “wheelie hill”. Some people get both wheels off the ground here. I can’t remember what they call turn 8 but you can get pretty aggressive with the throttle and won’t need to reduce speed until 9.
Personally, I found it better to get the shifting done before 11 as I am typically in lean the whole way between 11 and 12. I may toy around with that again next year. The rest is fairly tight section of the track. Getting on the throttle hard immediately after 16 is fun since that uphill motion firmly plants your tires into the track.

The whole track is smooth. The most questionable section is after 15 where so many cars and bikes go that it had to be smoothed out again. There is a patch where they repaved but it isn’t bad. I can’t remember where I saw it they use an asphalt composition that gives more grip than what we feel on open roads.

The atmosphere is incredibly friendly. Camp fires every night. Annual pig roasts with mini bike racing (50cc I think). They have done charity events and even a dog show last year! …I would have gone but that day called for a lot of rain. Don’t know how it turned out. First place was a year of track for free. I’d like to think I may have won because my dogs are adorable.

They also let people sign up for corner working and your payment is track time.

Tires and installation is available at the track. There is someone there for parts most of the time and Heroic Leathers for new stuff and track side repair.
If you don’t want to bring your own food, they serve lunch and breakfast.

The paddock can be a bit tricky as it is mostly on a slant and a little tight navigating a trailer between bikes. You will want to park facing up the slant as it is enough for the kickstand to give out if facing the other way.
There is no electricity, so bring a generator if you need it.

It’s a beautiful track. It used to be an airfield at the top of a mountain but was converted to a track. I love this place. I haven’t gone anywhere else since it has opened.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts