Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

YAMAHA has uploaded this teaser video suggesting a new supersport model will be unveiled just before the EICMA show in early November.

Titled 'The beginning of a new era', episode one shows us project 'Development Level Z'.

The short clip features sketches of single-sided swingarms, large brake callipers, fully adjustable forks by - we think - Ohlins and some track riding.

Those elements alone mean it's unlikely that we're looking at the unveiling of Yamaha's R25 or R3, but more likely a newer generation R6 or R1.

Could we be looking at the 230hp YZF-R1 that Visordown reported on a few months back?

The video suggests the bike will be unveiled on 3 November, three days before the official opening of the EICMA show in Milan.
Source

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
11/3 hint at 1100cc R1 replacement? Just a WAG.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The artists notes read: 'M1 Relationship..'

Good be a GP homologation? or Not a new R6 or R1 but a replacement for the YZFR line altogether?

Thats episode 1, well see more in a week or so.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
11/3 hint at 1100cc R1 replacement? Just a WAG.
A 1100cc in-line 4 wouldn't be able to race in World Superbike or AMA Superbike classes. So that's not gonna happen.

Now, if their release date of 11/3 could be a hint, then we may construe the date to mean a new 1100cc triple (11/3) sportbike. The vid does announce a "new era". What say y'all?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
That wouldn't work out with the race classes. In 600 class a triple can run up to around 675cc. In the 1000 class a triple would be around 1100cc.
Racing rules can be changed, Manufactures cannot build around the same format forever. The current format has peaked, New 4-cylinders are no better than last years. A new 'ERA' is on the way for everyone.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Just meant a bike with one less cylinder and same CC's wouldn't be able to compete.
I think it can, the FZ-09 is a testament to what Yamaha could do with 3-cylinder engines. IMO, the FZ-09 motor is their Guinea pig for their new 'era' bikes. The FZ-09 target market is perfect place to start. If Yamaha were to come out with 3-cyclinder engines on their hight end sport bikes first it would be a hard sell.

The FZ-09 is their toe in the water.

Then again, I could be completely wrong.

Reactions: doroyce05

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
A 1100cc in-line 4 wouldn't be able to race in World Superbike or AMA Superbike classes. So that's not gonna happen.

Now, if their release date of 11/3 could be a hint, then we may construe the date to mean a new 1100cc triple (11/3) sportbike. The vid does announce a "new era". What say y'all?
1100cc triple R1 replacement is what I meant.

The key is to see if the WSBK rules have changed. Last I checked their rules were 1000cc. Only twins are allowed an exception from 1000cc and they get a 1200cc displacement limit.
Codes and Regulations | Official documents (CCR) | Sport | Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme

If WSBK allows 1100 cc triples, then I could definitely see a 1100cc triple R1 replacement

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
1100cc triple R1 replacement is what I meant.

The key is to see if the WSBK rules have changed. Last I checked their rules were 1000cc. Only twins are allowed an exception from 1000cc and they get a 1200cc displacement limit.
Codes and Regulations*|*Official documents (CCR)*|*Sport*|*Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme

If WSBK allows 1100 cc triples, then I could definitely see a 1100cc triple R1 replacement
Even though my crotchrocket days are in my past a 1050-1099cc triple superbike would be awesome.

The R1 has been so dominant in AMA not sure if there would be a change from the I-4.

·
Registered
139 Posts
They are only hurting themselves if they hype all this up only to drop another inline 4 same old supersport. People are growing tired of the same thing and that's part of the reason why there ss bikes have been selling so poorly and the 09 has done so well. It was a breath of fresh air for the industry and got people excited. I will be seriously pissed if they don't mix it up with the new bike/bikes. If the 09 hadn't dropped I would have gone elsewhere (triumph, mv, duc) and I've been a loyal yamaha fanboy since I could swing a leg over a bike at age 8.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I can't see Yamaha putting the R&D effort in to build a triple and only produce one size engine. There has to be more... I'd bet my next beer on it!

·
Registered
957 Posts
It is an R1, yes. That being said...

It wouldn't surprise me to see the R6 completely cut from the lineup and replaced by an FZ09 powered supersport. The 600 class is dying a quiet death right now, with public interest in the organized racing classes that use 600cc bikes dwindling away. Kawasaki has already left the 600 class with the new 636. Yamaha has gone nearly a decade now without redesigning or updating the R6 which is about 5 lifetimes to a supersport, which traditionally have been completely redesigned every 2-3 years. There's a reason for that. Race-tuned smaller displacement four cylinder bikes suck balls on the street due to the lack of low-end and midrange. It would make perfect sense to replace it with a triple-based platform that didn't have to worry about conforming to any specific racing class displacement regulations.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts