·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Only a test ride will tell if it's worthy, lol.

They had a couple of these at the bike show, and they look pretty good and should do well in the first bike category against the other 300's.

The one thing I can't see in the Cycle World article, is the comparison to the old 2-stroke two cylinder RD350??? I don't know, those old RD350 were nuts for a small bike. I think the 1992 RD 350R was rated for 63 hp & 36 ft-lb @ 9000 rpm and they weighed in at 366 lbs full of fuel. A buddy of mine had an older RD350 and he gave his brother with his CB 1000 a run for his money. Up to about 60 mph, but he was also fricken nuts on anything with two wheels, an unhealthy lack of fear and common sense, lol.

·
Registered
957 Posts
For someone who lives in a place where they had access to twisty, winding roads, I would say yes. For someone who lives where you live, though, where all roads are arrow-straight, I'd have to say anything that isn't either a cruiser or another straight-line missile is going to leave you wanton.

I would only recommend a sportier, more aggressive (even if less powerful) bike to someone who lives in a place like South Florida if they planned on hitting up the track.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For someone who lives in a place where they had access to twisty, winding roads, I would say yes. For someone who lives where you live, though, where all roads are arrow-straight, I'd have to say anything that isn't either a cruiser or another straight-line missile is going to leave you wanton.

:(

It's actually too depressing to even debate this one...

·
Registered
957 Posts
:(

It's actually too depressing to even debate this one...
You've been dealing with this problem for some time, I know. You really want to add another bike to your stable for the sake of having a measure of variety, but you can't swing the insurance rates on something that's more of a land-going missile than it is a motorcycle. You live in a place where you don't have access to the kinds of roads where you can exploit the handling of something that's sportier or more nimble than your current FZ-09. So what do you do?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
You've been dealing with this problem for some time, I know. You really want to add another bike to your stable for the sake of having a measure of variety, but you can't swing the insurance rates on something that's more of a land-going missile than it is a motorcycle. You live in a place where you don't have access to the kinds of roads where you can exploit the handling of something that's sportier or more nimble than your current FZ-09. So what do you do?
Move?

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Pretty high rpm for a parallel twin. There are more detailed specs on Motorcyclespecs.co.za site that went into the last sticky. Everything except hp and torque and you already know that.

How do I find the sticky threads or how do they work?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Pretty high rpm for a parallel twin. There are more detailed specs on Motorcyclespecs.co.za site that went into the last sticky. Everything except hp and torque and you already know that.

How do I find the sticky threads or how do they work?
Ninja 250s have been revving in the stratosphere for decades now... That's what makes them fun for more experienced riders (for a few days), being able to wind 'em out to 18,000rpm without fretting... LOL

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ninja 250s have been revving in the stratosphere for decades now... That's what makes them fun for more experienced riders (for a few days), being able to wind 'em out to 18,000rpm without fretting... LOL
The used 250's (Not the newer 300's) sell around $2700 - $3300 in South Florida. I'd rather spend a bit more for the new R3 + another $85 for an Ape Cct :)

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Wifey (See avatar) wants to start riding soon. This may be her first bike...
I'm not touching that comment, other than to say a couple of things......just my opinion so take it for what it's worth to you and her.
1. For someone just learning to ride, a sportbike style bike is going to be harder to learn on than say a more upright or naked bike of the appropriate size.
2. Personally, I would never put a brand new rider on a NEW bike, as opposed to a used bike. There is a very high percentage chance the bike will be dropped at some point in time and I know that it would be very sad to have a brand new bike with damage done to it while it was that new. Even when I sold motorcycles for a living, I tried to always steer a brand new rider to a decent used bike that would fit their needs. Used bikes that already have some dings or scrapes or ???? is a lot easier to justify price wise and since they have already depreciated in value from new, they can be not only bought a lot cheaper, many times they can be resold for close to the same amount that you purchased them for. Just some food for thought. YMMV

·
Registered
857 Posts
I think the little 250-300 cc sport bikes are great. If you have access to a track, or a bunch of cool roads nearby. I think for something different I would look at the Indian Scout. Saying that I have three bikes,( I have had as many of six at one time). But I
don't count my 1992 900SS hanger queen, so I only have the FZ and a little VStrom.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If it's a first bike Id suggest a Ninja 250 for under $3200 before any 300 that will cost 3800-4800 Used. The 250 will be more than enough to develope some skills and maybe even resell for what you paid. The 300 will undoubtedly depreciate at least 10-20% depending on how long you hold it.:cool:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I like the big look of the smaller displacement bike. A bigger version for us would be great as well. I want one in yamaha colors . I'm too broke and too fat for that one. If I come into some money I'll be looking closely at it. If either you two buy one could you post up in this thread lots of pics.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Our first bike was a 2006 Ninja 500. I weigh close to 230 so the 500 was a better learning bike. Once I was done with it, my GF took ownership and it was nice. The seat was low enough and the bike is friendly enough also. We bought it for around 1500 and the mileage was close to 3k. We ended up selling the bike when I bought the FZ09 but we were able to sell it for 2k.

I always think it is easier to resell the Ninja 500 than the 250 since a good amount of 250 owners usually out grow the 250 which mean they will buy the 500 :)

We now have a 98 Bandit 600 and the FZ09.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The ergonomics of an aggressive-styled sportbike makes mastering low-speed maneuvers more difficult, so it does steepen the learning curve somewhat. The R3 is a true supersport that just happens to have a 300cc engine in it, making it a completely different animal from the Ninja 300 and CBR300 which are standards in sportbike style bodywork. It's not going to be as user-friendly. In fact I'd even go as far as to say the ergonomics complicate matters more than even power delivery. I'd put a rank beginner on an SV650N before I'd put one on an R3.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts