Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

With news of the FJ-09 being leaked earlier this week, I have added a forum section for the new bike:

Yamaha FJ-09 General Discussions

So we now have an ADV section here on FZ09.org. :) What do you guys think of the new bike and do you think that the engine will make the jump from street to dirt well? Chime in to the forum section and tell us all about it!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Two of my friends that have ridden my bike are all over the FJ. One of them has a V-Strom, and wants something more nimble. He wanted something a bit more versatile and the FJ fits the bill. As far as off-road, most of the Adventure bikes out today are not good for off-road duty, just gravel roads.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It looks like the "ADV" is for appearances only, or, more likely, for functional purposes. Not off roading, but the situp ergonomics, improved passenger accommodations and wind protection. I'm hoping the engine characteristics (with the latest flash) are carried through unchanged. If it does have ABS, curb weight is under 450 pounds, and the price is under $10K, I'm buying. I just lost my FZ and was looking to get a remaining liquid graphite to replace it and then I see this. Not too thrilled with the look of the fairing, would've preferred something that just expanded from the FZ's.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had a KTM 950 Adventure. I've done several long adventure rides including very, very bad roads. There is no way this bike will ever compete in the adventure bike class. Adventure bikes are hybrids by design. It shouldn't be a dirt bike but should be dirt-capable with a good rider. It shouldn't be a street bike but should be able to do monotonously long hours getting down the road.

This could compete very well in the Latte-Sipping Adventure class.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Not a big fan of the fairing too but could work. But I don't think its a ADV per se...and maybe its called a FJ because it's more like a comfortable Sport Tourer. I have used the FZ as a sport touring machine multiple times since getting it a year back so I am sure this will be pretty good for those duties. I am a naked fan and the FZ serves all my needs (even tackle some mild off road) but I may just get the FJ (if priced right without being too porky) to make the wife comfy on the back seat and increase the miles she can do on the bike sitting behind me- since, I know how boring it would be to be a passenger on a moto!
But I don't want a boring, heavy machine either (reason I skipped a Ninja 1000 for the same price, apart from the big insurance payments)- so yeah, let's wait and see.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Don't most of the search results on Google call the leaked FJ-09 pic's as a Sport Touring bike???

·
Registered
446 Posts
This is NOT an traditional adventure bike since it lacks integrated bash plate, side protectors, has low engine clearance, and wispy metal tires that will ding and bend easily on rocks. Having said that, most 450 pounds bikes can be ridden on modest hard packed roads. But if adding the term Adventure bike to the marketing label helps seal the deal, go for it!

Yamaha is firing on all cyclinder offering an impressive line-up of new products very responsive to customer feedback - Tenere ED, FJR ES, FZ-FJ-09-07, the upcoming R1, WR250R and the WR450F.

:cool:

Now, can the fuel tank be fitted on a FZ09?

:eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is NOT an traditional adventure bike since it lacks integrated bash plate, side protectors, has low engine clearance, and wispy metal tires that will ding and bend easily on rocks. Having said that, most 450 pounds bikes can be ridden on modest hard packed roads. But if adding the term Adventure bike to the marketing label helps seal the deal, go for it!

Yamaha is firing on all cyclinder offering an impressive line-up of new products very responsive to customer feedback - Tenere ED, FJR ES, FZ-FJ-09-07, the upcoming R1, WR250R and the WR450F.

:cool:

Now, can the fuel tank be fitted on a FZ09?

:eek:
Yanaha has labeled the FJ as a Sport Tourer, not an Adventure Tourer. Hell, every ride's an adventure!

Paul

·
Registered
671 Posts
No skid plate

Low hanging pipes and muffler

Small front wheel

Street fork

Not much of an ADV bike I'm afraid.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
No skid plate

Low hanging pipes and muffler

Small front wheel

Street fork

Not much of an ADV bike I'm afraid.
I can see a nice engine cage with some aux. light braket with a skid plate combo. That's what I would do if I had one. But agree, not quite built for off road but more for road and occasional fire road.

Unless TC & ABS is high on your list getting a FZ09 and adding some bags & screen woild still be cheaper. Can't wait to see if the fuel tank is a direct fit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The FJ model line has never been for any adventure or dual sport bikes in Yamaha's history. FJ1100's and FJ1200's produced for a 12 year span were do-all bikes with good power, half-fairings, etc. They were Yamaha's competition for the Ninja 900, GPz1100, GS1100ES, etc. back in the day...bike's that ruled the 1/4 mile. They were fantastic do-everything road bikes. The FJ09 is a modern and lightweight reincarnation of that idea.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Like this? Yamaha FZ 09 Motor Cage and Skid Plate Combo | eBay

I can see a nice engine cage with some aux. light braket with a skid plate combo. That's what I would do if I had one. But agree, not quite built for off road but more for road and occasional fire road.

Unless TC & ABS is high on your list getting a FZ09 and adding some bags & screen woild still be cheaper. Can't wait to see if the fuel tank is a direct fit.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The racing geniuses that are Dakar officials made 450 the maximum cc .
Yamaha brought their new 250 out with their Dakar 2014 3rd place finisher . It may be that there is an agenda to make 250 the maximum cc for racing.
Dakar is over in Africa but shhsh. Most of the teams and manufacturers left years ago , 450 is not their thing and I doubt 250 is their thing.
If there was a 900 class or up to 883 , to include h-d, that might just get them back . I question their judgement because we can chip the top speed maximum.
I might be repeating myself here , Yamaha should put together a kit that would convert a fz-09 to a gytr oversized enduro.
Their rules allow modification , not of swingarm or motor , but most other stuff.
When the fj-09 leaked I hoped that rules had gone right up to 850 class.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The racing geniuses that are Dakar officials made 450 the maximum cc .
Yamaha brought their new 250 out with their Dakar 2014 3rd place finisher . It may be that there is an agenda to make 250 the maximum cc for racing.
Dakar is over in Africa but shhsh. Most of the teams and manufacturers left years ago , 450 is not their thing and I doubt 250 is their thing.
If there was a 900 class or up to 883 , to include h-d, that might just get them back . I question their judgement because we can chip the top speed maximum.
I might be repeating myself here , Yamaha should put together a kit that would convert a fz-09 to a gytr oversized enduro.
Their rules allow modification , not of swingarm or motor , but most other stuff.
When the fj-09 leaked I hoped that rules had gone right up to 850 class.
Huh? IIRC, they left Dakar because of the security issues - terrorists, etc. It had become unsafe. The move to SA was supposed to be temporary. But they got such a good reception they decided to stay.

The KTM950 used to be a Dakar bike. SHortly after that came out the started reducing the CC limits. I think the 450 class is well received. But then I'm not a Dakar racer nor Dakar historian.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love the two piece seat ( wish they had used this on the mt/fz-09) and the extra fuel would be good too , maybe a purchase of tank back might be a good combo . read the seat height is adjustable though not by much .
also like the screen / lights section , the side covers on radiator look ok . Definitely not keen on the look of the intakes .....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts